Distance wood has flown

Old April 14th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Gaines

Default Distance wood has flown

Any idea how far an older sailplane has flown? What
are some of the best Ka-6, SHK, LO-150 or Elfe flights?

Old April 14th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 14, 4:01 pm, Robert Gaines
wrote:
Any idea how far an older sailplane has flown? What
are some of the best Ka-6, SHK, LO-150 or Elfe flights?

From Sarah's post about Chilhowee distance flights, bout a week ago:

Dave Stevenson flew 972 km in his Ka-6 averaging over 100 km/h! Now
that's a lot of flying in a wood glider.

Im sure some longer flights have been flown. Ive done 103 nm in my
Cherokee II, thats Nautical Miles, not Nanometers Not much to talk
about but im sure proud of it. Weren't you involved in the
restoration of my bird Bob? N373Y.

Old April 15th 07, 07:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
Any idea how far an older sailplane has flown? What
are some of the best Ka-6, SHK, LO-150 or Elfe flights?

Woodstock 20609 (built by Bob Wander) flew 408km pre-declaired Hilton
Cup qualifying triangle a few years ago in the Midwest. Not really
old but classic wood performance.

MM

Old April 15th 07, 08:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ctrl

On Apr 14, 10:01 pm, Robert Gaines
wrote:
Any idea how far an older sailplane has flown? What
are some of the best Ka-6, SHK, LO-150 or Elfe flights?

Although not a great distance by present standards, Günther Groenhof
flew 272Km in 1931 in a Fafnir. You can read the fascinating story on
this page

http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/Docume...fnirStory.html

Old April 15th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
raulb

On his very first X/C flight, Josh Knerr flew his (formerly yours?)
K-8 from Tehachapi, California to Yerington, Nevada during the Dust
Devil Dash a couple of years ago. This flight was something like 10
miles short of Diamond Distance. Alas, he did not have a barograph or
data logger.

Old April 15th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Al Parker and Ben Greene set a world distance record
from either Marfa or Odessa to Kansas (I believe Salina).
If memory is correct, Ben was still flying his SH-K.

Old April 16th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

Ka 8B - Out-and-return distance: 767.02 km
Karl STRIEDIECK
USA
23.07.1964 Odessa, TX (USA) - Goodland, KS (USA)
Sub-class D1 (Single-place glider)

Ka 6 CR - Straight distance to a declared goal: 837.75 km
Wallace A. SCOTT
USA
02.06.1963 Dettingen (Germany) - Saint Nazaire (France)
Sub-class D1 (Single-place glider)

Ka 6 - Straight distance: 875.99 km
Otto SCHÄUBLE
Germany
02.06.1963 Dettingen (Germany) - Saint Nazaire (France)
Sub-class D1 (Single-place glider)

Ka 6 - Straight distance: 875.99 km
Karl BEZLER
Germany
04.01.1963 Kimberley - Brandforf - Makwassie (South Africa)
Sub-class D1 (Single-place glider)

Ka 6 - Speed over a triangular course of 500 km: 71.39 km/h
Robert R. CLIFFORD
South Africa

Old April 23rd 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 14, 5:01 pm, Robert Gaines
wrote:
Any idea how far an older sailplane has flown? What
are some of the best Ka-6, SHK, LO-150 or Elfe flights?

560 miles by Beverly E. Howard Jr. in an SHK from San Marcos, Tx to
Wichita, KS on July 9, 1974

552 miles by Wally Scott in a Ka-6E from Odessa, Tx to Casa Grande, AZ
on August 23, 1967 (9.4 hours)

David Stevenson
Atlanta, GA

Old July 30th 14, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Beverly Howard

560 miles by Beverly E. Howard Jr. in an SHK from San Marcos, Tx to Wichita, KS on July 9, 1974

That was a very long day ;-)

The hell of it was that I ran off my charts in Oaklahoma, so, at the end of the flight I was completely focused on locating airports. Since I assumed that there was no chance of making Wichita that when I had that airport "made" I went ahead and landed... from almost 8,000 feet... had I been thinking rationally, I might have made the better part of another 100 miles.

Would not have made any difference though... the SSA rejected the flight documentation, so, I didn't even (or ever) get diamond distance... think I still have the barograph trace around here somewhere.

Beverly Howard
Old July 30th 14, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Saturday, April 14, 2007 5:01:43 PM UTC-4, Robert Gaines wrote:
Any idea how far an older sailplane has flown? What
are some of the best Ka-6, SHK, LO-150 or Elfe flights?

Canadian straight distance to a goal flight - 571.3 km; Charles Yeates; Austria SH-1 CF-PZP; from Rockland, ON to Fall River, MA. Easier in the days before 9/11!

From the Canadian FREE FLIGHT archive:

CHARLES YEATES flew 355 miles (571 km)
in an Austria SH-1 from Rockton, ON to
his goal of Fall River airport, Massachusetts
on the Atlantic coast on 13 August 1962.
The flight, at 77.1 km/h, took 7-1/2 hours
and earned him the Canadian distance to
goal and 500 km speed to goal records.
Cumulus started at 10:15 at 2500 feet and
rose to 7000 feet in late afternoon, and a 20
knot tailwind helped. Near Stowe, Vermont,
Mount Mansfield poked up into the clouds
at 4200 feet. He had to ridge soar in this
area for awhile until the clouds cleared
away. In the lee of this ridge there was a lot
of sink but conditions improved quite
quickly thereafter. After crossing a 25 mile
clear gap near Lebanon, lift increased to
600 ft/min or better. While in this blue area
he was looked over by a Phantom jet whose
pilot lowered gear and flaps to slow down
while circling for a good look.
The last part of the flight was straightforward
and he arrived at the goal at 3000
feet. Struck by the scenery, he took another
thermal and flew east along the shoreline
of Cape Cod past New Bedford to Falmouth
before returning to Fall River for a landing
at 6:30.
Charles had studied the route for 18 months
and had made attempts in 1961 which
showed him the lie of the land, as along
much of the course airports were the only
landing option.