Hypoglycemia?

Old April 8th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

Default Hypoglycemia?

There is an element of truth to Ron's statement. If an individual fills out
the FAA form but then bolts before the exam, the forms still need to be sent
to OKC. This presumably would help the FAA to identify individuals who might
have a disqualifying condition from doctor shopping.

Again, most docs, and especially those that are also pilots, would go out of
their way to help an individual submit a waiver application.

Old April 8th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Also, since a medical application form includes a Student
Pilot certificate and a medical certificate, this is a
method of identity theft, impersonation and fraud. As a
result, doctors are required to get identification from
applicants and they must account for all forms.

Old April 9th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
There is an element of truth to Ron's statement. If an individual fills
out the FAA form but then bolts before the exam, the forms still need to
be sent to OKC. This presumably would help the FAA to identify individuals
who might have a disqualifying condition from doctor shopping.

Again, most docs, and especially those that are also pilots, would go out
of their way to help an individual submit a waiver application.

As I said above, my AME was as helpful to me as a lawyer, in navigating the
system. But like others mentioned, he did have to submit my inital form,
which simply started documenting the rejection process. But at the same time
he told me he was forced to file it, he also fully expained our game plan
for fixing the problem, and geting me back to flight status in record time.
And he did just that.

All of the AMEs I have used maintain a routine medical practice as well. Is
there any reason a pilot can't make an appointment with a public AME for a
routine physical, and discuss his condition relative to a flight physical as
well. Thus, accessing the physican's expertese prior to initiating the FAA
process for a flight physical?

Old April 9th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

There's still another side of this that should be discussed. It's one
thing, and a 'good thing', to learn in an informal way if your
condition will prevent you from passing the medical. Do this before
making an appointment for an FAA medical exam because as has been
pointed out once you start that process the data is in the FAA's
records..

But, if you find your condition renders you unable to for example
drive a car from time to time -- that you have to pull off until you
regain control -- don't even think about becoming a pilot. There's no
pulling off to the side if the condition goes out of control, and it's
likely -- I'm not sure of this -- conditions of flight may provide an
environment that makes your condition more likely to become overt.

So I'm suggesting YOU make a mature decision. Is your condition such
that you're at some greater risk to have a medical condition put you
and your PX at risk? If so, stop now, even if you can find a way of
passing the physical.

Good luck!

Old April 9th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

It's a reasonable approach- find an AME that also has a private practice. I
would also advise someone to ask around to see who is willing to go the
extra mile to help a pilot, and the FAA lists AME's who are also pilots.

Once you start getting into waiver submissions, extra tests and
documentation start piling up, so some docs may not be enthusiastic about
doing all of this for the $80.00 or so that they charge.

Others may not primarily be a family physician- one of our busiest AME's is
also a pathologist. It would be hard to rationalize a routine visit to see
him under some other pretense!

The physical exam for a class II or III medical is pretty superficial- the
medical history is more important in identifying potentially disqualifying
defects. (also true for general exams). Failing to list known problems has a
lot of implications in case of an accident or incident.

Still, a pilot AME may be more sympathetic and helpful. Most docs are
interested in helping people keep flying, not the converse.

Old April 9th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Viperdoc wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the point of your post- I am a real AME and a
member of AOPA. Most of my aerospace medicine activity is focused on Air
Force and military flying, which is around ten times more onerous than the
FAA, and a lot more stringent. For what it's worth I also fly real
airplanes.

Sorry, Viper. Wasn't meaning to slight you. I was trying to
distinguish the know-nothing non-doc participants of this forum.
That being said the guys over on the AOPA boards go way out of
their way to help.
Old April 11th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Danny Deger" wrote

If you have never been turned down for a medical you could fly under light
sport aviation. Basically a 40's plane like a Cub (almost all without
electrical system) or one of the new ones for about $80K. The big issue
for light sport is a maximum gross weitht of 1320 pounds. With a couple
of rare exceptions, all aircraft in the US with an electrical system are
over this weight.

Nearly ALL of the new breed (modern designs) of LSA have FULL electrical
systems, with many even having equipment for night flight, and some having
equipment qualifying them for instrument flight. I would not consider that
"a couple of rare exceptions," in any measure of the term.

Most of the old designs that meet the LSA weights are pushing weight with
full electrical systems, but some still do have them.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 11th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"EFIS2" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am a person with reactive hypoglycemia (gets weak/confused if does
not eat healthy snacks/meals regularly) - I'm sure there is not much
chance of being certified to get a PPL or go onto being an airline
pilot - I just thought I'd ask if anybody knows what the deal is, or
if anybody knows about this problem. I also have bad eye floaters,
I'm sure that would be a problem too. I'm not really optimistic given
that the condition often causes weakness and lack of awareness if I do
not keep my blood sugar up.

If you have never been turned down for a medical you could fly under light
sport aviation. Basically a 40's plane like a Cub (almost all without
electrical system) or one of the new ones for about $80K. The big issue for
light sport is a maximum gross weitht of 1320 pounds. With a couple of rare
exceptions, all aircraft in the US with an electrical system are over this
weight.

However, if you "zone out" due to the problem, I would not recommend it. A
friend of mine has the problem and she has passed out twice in my presence.
If she had been acting as a pilot, she would have certainly died.

Danny Deger

Old April 11th 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
Mxsmanic wrote:

You may be getting ahead of things a little. It has not yet been
established
that he could not pass the physical or otherwise obtain a medical, and
you're
talking as though he has already failed it.

You have no ****ing clue again. Do you know that if you go into an AME
office with the intention of taking the physical (i.e., you start
filling out the application) you have started down in irrevocable path?

You can't just punt out of the medical. If for some reason you can't
pass, you can't get a sport pilot. If there is any chance you aren't
going to be able to qualify, you do WANT to act like you might fail it
and cover your bases.

Neither hypoglycemia nor floaters
are unconditionally disqualifying. It would be best to make discreet
inquiries, have his state of health assessed by a physician familiar with
FAA
requirements, or ...

You don't want to bother with a physician or flight simulator wannabe who
thinks the know what is an FAA requirement. You need to talk to
people who know.

There are a handful of AME's (who know and who specialize in tricky
issuances) on the AOPA forums and the AOPA office itself. You
don't want some random doc playing with this. Just because he writes
you a letter saying that he sees no reason for your condition to
interfere with piloting MEANS SQUAT TO THE FAA.

In my case I called the FAA in OK City and asked them directly about a
medical condition I had been diagnosed with. Based on this, I bought a 1941
Taylorcraft and am happily flying sport aviation.

Danny Deger

Old April 11th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"Happy Dog" wrote in message
m...
"EFIS2" wrote in message

snip

If not, maybe you should disqualify yourself on the grounds that you have a
legitimate concern that you may not be fit to act as PIC for uncertain
reasons.

This is good advice. If you have ever had an episode that you believe left
you in a condition you could not have operated a plane, don't fly unless you
are certain the problem has been fixed.

Danny Deger