How safe is it, really?

Old November 30th 04, 09:36 PM
Andrew Gideon

Aviv Hod wrote:

I too am thankful for all that has
allowed me to delight in the freedom of flight.

GA permitted my (2.25 year-old) son to spend more time with his cousins this
past weekend, and also permitted him to avoid several hours locked in a car
seat. That's a very concrete value for which we're all grateful.

- Andrew

Old November 30th 04, 09:39 PM
Tobias Mock

Driving is still the most dangerous activity we humans do.

Well, not for smokers... ;-)
Old November 30th 04, 09:42 PM
Back_To_Flying

He is in more danger of dying in a car crash on the way to the airport.
Driving is still the most dangerous activity we humans do.

Utter BS.

Ok, unlike you I have done some research on this then . Driving is the
leading cause of death for American drivers between 15 - 20 years of age.
Here is my source http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/041018-3.htm

I have also seen a few more reports concluding the same. So one could
conclude that driving is still much more dangerous than flying regardless of
age group. Do you have proof of the opposite? Then show me your source.

Richard

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

Old November 30th 04, 10:06 PM
Dan Girellini

== Back To Flying Back_To_Flying writes:

He is in more danger of dying in a car crash on the way to the airport.
Driving is still the most dangerous activity we humans do.

Utter BS.

Ok, unlike you I have done some research on this then . Driving is the
leading cause of death for American drivers between 15 - 20 years of age.
Here is my source http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/041018-3.htm

I have also seen a few more reports concluding the same. So one could
conclude that driving is still much more dangerous than flying regardless
of age group. Do you have proof of the opposite? Then show me your source.

I don't think anyone disputes that GA flying isn't particularly dangerous to
those who don't participate in it.

yeesh.

dan.

--
PGP key at http://www.longhands.org/drg-pgp.txt Key Id:0x507D93DF
Old November 30th 04, 10:10 PM
Andrew Gideon

Dan Girellini wrote:

I don't think anyone disputes that GA flying isn't particularly dangerous
to those who don't participate in it.

Well...some nuts see aircraft falling from the sky. But amongst sane
people, you're right. That's the problem with just comparing numbers like
accidents or fatalities w/o also looking at number of pilots/drivers, miles
travelled, time spent en route, and so on.

- Andrew

Old November 30th 04, 10:22 PM
Morgans

"Back_To_Flying" wrote

Ok, unlike you I have done some research on this then . Driving is the
leading cause of death for American drivers between 15 - 20 years of age.

Stating an argument like that, shows you have little to no grasp of
statistics.

Everyone (nearly) drives. Everyone does not fly.

Still, I agree that flying is an acceptable risk for the careful. If you
suppress your loved one's urge to fly, he will end up resenting it, and
possibly you, too. (to the original poster) Do you want to take the chance
of not having him in your life, because of that?
--
Jim in NC

---

Old November 30th 04, 10:51 PM
NW_PILOT

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Back_To_Flying" wrote

Ok, unlike you I have done some research on this then . Driving is the
leading cause of death for American drivers between 15 - 20 years of

age.

Stating an argument like that, shows you have little to no grasp of
statistics.

Everyone (nearly) drives. Everyone does not fly.

Still, I agree that flying is an acceptable risk for the careful. If you
suppress your loved one's urge to fly, he will end up resenting it, and
possibly you, too. (to the original poster) Do you want to take the

chance
of not having him in your life, because of that?
--
Jim in NC

Wife or flying ill tell her to pack her bags and show her the door. Flying
is a real addiction!!! to some!

Old November 30th 04, 10:57 PM
Bob Moore

"Back_To_Flying" wrote
I have also seen a few more reports concluding the same. So one could
conclude that driving is still much more dangerous than flying
regardless of age group. Do you have proof of the opposite? Then show
me your source.

The current issue of "Flying" magazine addresses the issue and
provides the documentation that they used.
As I recall, their conclusion was that flying presented 200-300
times the risk that driving did, contrary to what we have all
been led to believe.

Bob Moore
Old November 30th 04, 11:00 PM
Slick

It's definitely safe as long as the pilot flies regularly. On the other
hand, kinds are the most important thing. From what I've looked into it,
it's cheaper to rent for the average GA pilot. Only because most likely
something will break and need repaired. If nothing broke then it would
definitely be cheaper to own.
"June" wrote in message
om...
I need some information from people 'in the field'. My husband has
his private license and is just starting to work on his IFR for
recreational flying. He wants to buy into a plane partnership, saying
he will be saving money rather than renting.

We have 2 little girls. I worry for his safety as it seems there is
another small plane crash every other time you turn on the news. I
think he should focus on this hobby when the kids are older, not when
he has such a young family.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Old November 30th 04, 11:00 PM
Jay Beckman

"C Kingsbury" wrote in message
nk.net...
"June" wrote in message
om...

Your opinions would be appreciated.

One of my partners has a 4 year-old daughter who loves to go flying with
him. Obviously he (and more significantly his ex-wife) find the risks
acceptable.

There is risk the minute you get up off the couch. Come to think of it, if
you don't get off the couch, there is a risk you'll die young of heart
disease and diabetes. The fact is that nobody gets out of this life alive.
Flying does involve more risks than, say, carpentry, but as pilots we can
choose to control our risks and avoid many things that increase them.

In my experience people who have the flying "bug" bad enough to actually
make it through the rigmarole of getting a license are a breed apart.
They're all kinds of people- rich, poor, old men, young women, every race
and religion out there, but somewhere along the line we all got a little
chunk of the sky stuck inside us. Dig into his urge to fly and you'll
probably find pieces of the things that made you decide to spend the rest
of
your life with him. Are you sure that you want to ask him to suppress
this?
There is so much sadness and tragedy in life that doesn't make the papers.
None of us truly know the number of our days, and we owe it to ourselves
and
our loved ones to live each present moment with joy and gratitude. For me,
part of that is thankfulness that I was born in the century in which two
bicycle mechanics from Dayton realized an ancient dream, and in a nation
where I, a person of average means, could turn that dream into reality.

Best,
-cwk.

Very well said...

Jay B