A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Barographs?

Old October 25th 20, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim S
external usenet poster

Default Barographs?

On Sunday, October 25, 2020 at 9:02:47 AM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
I've two old Peravia barographs - with a couple rolls of paper. These were very elegant mechanisms that punched a tiny perforation in a continuous roll of waxed paper every 6 seconds. The drums marked the paper for time so that it was possible with a Peravia to record both altitude and the exact time of the altitude. The paper became quite scarce but it could be made out of household wax paper. Free to a good home. You pay for shipping.
ROY

Hi Roy,
Can you message me? I would love to have one and get it working.
Jim
Old October 25th 20, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim S
external usenet poster

Default Barographs?

On Sunday, October 25, 2020 at 9:02:47 AM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
I've two old Peravia barographs - with a couple rolls of paper. These were very elegant mechanisms that punched a tiny perforation in a continuous roll of waxed paper every 6 seconds. The drums marked the paper for time so that it was possible with a Peravia to record both altitude and the exact time of the altitude. The paper became quite scarce but it could be made out of household wax paper. Free to a good home. You pay for shipping.
ROY

Is my email
Old October 25th 20, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

Default Barographs?

Well, the barographs got snapped up and I am happy about that. While looking for them I also found (from the same era) 2 Kodak Instamatic 126 cameras fitted to a turn point mount and 8 boxes of unused Verichome Pan B&W film for them. State of the art . . . 45 years ago. Free for shipping. Any takers?
ROY
Old October 25th 20, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim S
external usenet poster

Default Barographs?

On Sunday, October 25, 2020 at 6:39:01 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
Well, the barographs got snapped up and I am happy about that. While looking for them I also found (from the same era) 2 Kodak Instamatic 126 cameras fitted to a turn point mount and 8 boxes of unused Verichome Pan B&W film for them. State of the art . . . 45 years ago. Free for shipping. Any takers?
ROY

Hi Roy, Not to be crazy, but those would be perfect to have with the graphs.. I will respectfully decline if anyone else is interested. Thanks.
Old October 26th 20, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.
external usenet poster

Default Barographs?

You've got them Jim.
ROY
Hi Roy, Not to be crazy, but those would be perfect to have with the graphs. I will respectfully decline if anyone else is interested. Thanks.

Old October 26th 20, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim S
external usenet poster

Default Barographs?

On Sunday, October 25, 2020 at 7:48:20 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
You've got them Jim.
ROY
Hi Roy, Not to be crazy, but those would be perfect to have with the graphs. I will respectfully decline if anyone else is interested. Thanks.

Thanks Roy!
Old October 26th 20, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

Default Barographs?

On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 11:28:29 AM UTC-6, Jim S wrote:
Thanks Eric, Will see if I can find one of those. Having a manufacturer name will help.

On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 11:48:09 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Jim S wrote on 10/24/2020 8:02 AM:
I was mainly interested in the mechanical, smoke type. Was not interested in one for competition but mainly to use for historical interests.
I’m not a collector necessarily in aviation items but I do have two aviation sextants (A-10) and a drift meter. Although I don’t shoot stars, the sun and the moon from the cockpit, I have spent a fair amount of time shooting the sun in my backyard.
Wanting a workable barograph is in line with these interests.

The Replogle is a mechanical, wind-up barograph that can use smoked foil, but the pressure
sensitive chart paper was much easier to use. I did use smoked foil a few times on a ???
barograph, but it was messy to smoke the foil, and misting some lacquer on it after the flight
was tricky - so easy to smudge the smoke on the foil and lose the trace.. So, smoked foil to GPS
traces - I prefer the GPS traces for flying, but the Replogle is prominent on my "shelf museum".
--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1

https://sites.google.com/site/weersc...asa-barographs if still available.
Old October 26th 20, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

Default Barographs?

Thanks Eric, Will see if I can find one of those. Having a manufacturer name will help.

I was mainly interested in the mechanical, smoke type. Was not interested in one for competition but mainly to use for historical interests.
I’m not a collector necessarily in aviation items but I do have two aviation sextants (A-10) and a drift meter. Although I don’t shoot stars, the sun and the moon from the cockpit, I have spent a fair amount of time shooting the sun in my backyard.

The Replogle is a mechanical, wind-up barograph that can use smoked foil, but the pressure
sensitive chart paper was much easier to use. I did use smoked foil a few times on a ???
barograph, but it was messy to smoke the foil, and misting some lacquer on it after the flight
was tricky - so easy to smudge the smoke on the foil and lose the trace.. So, smoked foil to GPS
traces - I prefer the GPS traces for flying, but the Replogle is prominent on my "shelf museum".
--

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replogle-Ba...-/323754532912
Old October 26th 20, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Barographs?

I wonder...Â* Will the SSA or IGC still accept a barograph trace?

I got all my Diamonds with a Replogle and an Instamatic.Â* Great fun!

On 10/25/2020 7:06 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:

was tricky - so easy to smudge the smoke on the foil and lose the trace. So, smoked foil to GPS
--

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 26th 20, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Barographs?

On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 11:23:40 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
I wonder...Â* Will the SSA or IGC still accept a barograph trace?

I got all my Diamonds with a Replogle and an Instamatic.Â* Great fun!

On 10/25/2020 7:06 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:

was tricky - so easy to smudge the smoke on the foil and lose the trace. So, smoked foil to GPS
--

--
Dan, 5J

According to the Sporting Code, no. see my post of Oct 18.