Looking for 1-26E with trailer and some thoughts

Old October 14th 20, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ken smith

Default Looking for 1-26E with trailer and some thoughts

Hi,
I am currently looking for a ready to fly 1-26E in nice condition
with trailer. It looks like there is nothing really out there that
doesn't need a new paint job and perhaps some restoration.
Can anyone suggest someone who does reasonable paint and
restoration work? I am located in the Northern CA area.
Thanks
Old October 15th 20, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

Not to start the usual argument, but why? There are many great first generation fiberglass gliders available for the same price, much better condition, and much better performance. Everywhere you fly in Norcal your first thermal is a perilous glide away from the airport in a 1-26. I love the old 1-26, but around here I can't see it practical if you want to stay up.
John Cochrane.
Old October 15th 20, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ken smith

On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 8:58:36 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Not to start the usual argument, but why? There are many great first generation fiberglass gliders available for the same price, much better condition, and much better performance. Everywhere you fly in Norcal your first thermal is a perilous glide away from the airport in a 1-26. I love the old 1-26, but around here I can't see it practical if you want to stay up.
John Cochrane.

Understand your point.. I will be moving to either southern CA or Nevada if that makes a diff.
Just looking for a no worries minimal set up ship. Also, just fly for fun and don't need to
accomplish anything. I don't see any glass ships, that don't have a non hinging canopy,
in the $10-12K range.
Old October 15th 20, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 12:54:27 AM UTC-4, ken smith wrote:
On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 8:58:36 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Not to start the usual argument, but why? There are many great first generation fiberglass gliders available for the same price, much better condition, and much better performance. Everywhere you fly in Norcal your first thermal is a perilous glide away from the airport in a 1-26. I love the old 1-26, but around here I can't see it practical if you want to stay up.
John Cochrane.

Understand your point.. I will be moving to either southern CA or Nevada if that makes a diff.
Just looking for a no worries minimal set up ship. Also, just fly for fun and don't need to
accomplish anything. I don't see any glass ships, that don't have a non hinging canopy,
in the $10-12K range.

There is a Ka8b on W&W. It has a hinged canopy comes with an enclosed trailer, is rigged easily and outperforms the 1-26. However, it is wood and fabric but that should not be an issue if you are in a dry environment and keep it in the trailer rather than tied up outside.

Uli
'AS'
Old October 15th 20, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Byars[_5_]

There are also some very nice L-33 Solos on Wings and Wheels. All metal, enclosed trailer, hinged canopies, and not much more than a 1-26E with better performance.
Old October 15th 20, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Byars[_5_]

On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 8:43:25 AM UTC-4, Guy Byars wrote:
There are also some very nice L-33 Solos on Wings and Wheels. All metal, enclosed trailer, hinged canopies, and not much more than a 1-26E with better performance.

Also there are some very nice 1-23s on the market. Same money, more performance.

Old October 15th 20, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

ken smith wrote on 10/14/2020 9:54 PM:
On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 8:58:36 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Not to start the usual argument, but why? There are many great first generation fiberglass gliders available for the same price, much better condition, and much better performance. Everywhere you fly in Norcal your first thermal is a perilous glide away from the airport in a 1-26. I love the old 1-26, but around here I can't see it practical if you want to stay up.
John Cochrane.

Understand your point.. I will be moving to either southern CA or Nevada if that makes a diff.
Just looking for a no worries minimal set up ship. Also, just fly for fun and don't need to
accomplish anything. I don't see any glass ships, that don't have a non hinging canopy,
in the $10-12K range.

The $8000 Russia has a hinging canopy. I've flown one in a contest: decent performance, very
easy ground handling. The $12000 Std Cirrus has a hinging canopy: I owned one for 3 years, flew
nicely. If you want to tie out the ship instead of rigging, the L33 Solo (also hinging canopy)
would be a good choice, I think. The drawbacks for this particular one is the open trailer, and
added difficulty of importing one from Canada.

I've owned glider with/without hinging canopies, and I would not make that a deal breaker.

Old October 15th 20, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 6:09:12 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
ken smith wrote on 10/14/2020 9:54 PM:
On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 8:58:36 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Not to start the usual argument, but why? There are many great first generation fiberglass gliders available for the same price, much better condition, and much better performance. Everywhere you fly in Norcal your first thermal is a perilous glide away from the airport in a 1-26. I love the old 1-26, but around here I can't see it practical if you want to stay up.
John Cochrane.

Hi Ken,
I’d agree with all the posters. The 1-26 is a fun machine, but it won’t go anywhere! They held the 1-26 nationals at Minden a few years back and most never got out of the valley! There’s an ASW-15 in Salt Lake for 7K and a H-301 Libelle at Air Sailing for 10K. I’ll give you a free look-see, but you got to bring it to me in Placerville, Ca.
JJ
Old October 15th 20, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ken smith

Thanks for all the useful feedback. I have heard that the L33 has a weak tail boom and is prone to damage
and the Std Cirrus wants to spin. Would apprecaite more info on these if you have experience wth them.

Old October 15th 20, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 07:55:51 -0700, ken smith wrote:

Thanks for all the useful feedback. I have heard that the L33 has a
weak tail boom and is prone to damage and the Std Cirrus wants to spin.
Would apprecaite more info on these if you have experience wth them.

Don't discount Libelles - either 201 or 301. My 201 (Std Libelle) is the
least willing to spin of any single seat glider I've flown. Light and
easy to rig and, if you put foam or felt pads on the underside of the
canopy frame at the rear, you can slide the canopy back along the
fuselage (I've not done this, but have seen pictures...).

Disadvantages? Notably weak airbrakes, long but narrow cockpit, so those
with wide shoulders may not fit in them.

More handling etc info he
https://www.gregorie.org/gliding/lib...201_notes.html

Others may chip in about the 301 Open Libelle - I've never even seen one,
let alone flown it.

If you see a 205 Club Libelle at a nice price, go and look at it too.
Reasonable performance despite a fixed undercarriage. Roomy cockpit,
powerful airbrakes, hinged canopy. There's one at my club: its owners
like it a lot.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org