Looking for 1-26E with trailer and some thoughts

Old October 15th 20, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

Default Looking for 1-26E with trailer and some thoughts

On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 7:55:54 AM UTC-7, ken smith wrote:
Thanks for all the useful feedback. I have heard that the L33 has a weak tail boom and is prone to damage
and the Std Cirrus wants to spin. Would apprecaite more info on these if you have experience wth them.

I was a partner in the L-33 for years and flew it for 100's of hours. It was a lovely flying glider. It only had 2 negatives that I had issues with. The first is the metal construction and the tow hook installation (with poor sealing) makes a very cold cockpit for your legs and feet. The second issue was the factory paint job was substandard and prone to peeling.
I've often considered (still do) buying another and have it tied down during the summer at my soaring club for a quick flying fix instead of rigging and derigging daily my ASH31.
Craig
Old October 15th 20, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

It's not about ambition or big xc flights, though that bug will grab you sooner than you think. It's just about staying up. Every site I have flown west of the rockies involves a 20:1 plus glide from the first possible thermal location back to the airport. Finding a thermal within a safe glide to the airport in a 1-26 is a serious limitation. And handout options between the first thermal and the airport are usually not great.

Why is the canopy a big deal? Don't get fixated on small issues is a good piece of advice for glider buying.

Assembly of glass gliders, especially with a half-decent trailer, is much easier than any metal glider. Ask how many glass owners use a sledgehammer as part of their assembly kit! There is no reason on earth to want to tie out a 15 meter glider, which it can go in a trailer. And metal doesn't like being tied out either. (Nor do canopies).

Don't get me wrong, I love the old 1-26 and have great memories of flights in them. But for practical flying in the west, any first generation glass or gliders like the russia mentioned here are just way more practical.

John Cochrane
Old October 15th 20, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

ken smith wrote on 10/15/2020 7:55 AM:
Thanks for all the useful feedback. I have heard that the L33 has a weak tail boom and is prone to damage
and the Std Cirrus wants to spin. Would apprecaite more info on these if you have experience wth them.

The wing twist was changed around serial #170 or so, much improving the spin behavior. Mine was
a later one, and it seemed quite docile, never surprising me in 500 hours. I think there is a
Std Cirrus owners group that can give details.

Old October 15th 20, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Struthers

At 14:55 15 October 2020, ken smith wrote:
Thanks for all the useful feedback. I have heard that the L33 has a
weak tail boom and is prone to damage and the Std Cirrus wants to
spin. Would appreciate more info on these if you have experience with
them.

Most aircraft will spin, some better than others but and only if you put
the incorrect control inputs. I own a standard cirrus and its very
sensitive in pitch but not prone to spinning unless I make it. I use to
own an IS29 D 2 and that had a reputation for "spinning" I spun it
unintentionally once at around 1000 ft agl when i was trying to get
away in a tight thermal and forgot to put it in thermal flap. The aircraft

responded immediately to the correct control inputs and I only lost 150
feet in altitude. The club I fly at teaches spin recovery well. I would
suggest a Cirrus is a good aircraft for you provided you get the gel coat
checked etc (same as any older glass ship really)

safe flying

Old October 15th 20, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

I believe it was Dick Johnson who observed one needs a minimum of 30:1 glide ratio for successful cross country flying on a regular basis. The problem is you will hit the ground before running into the next thermal on many occasions.That was based on flat land soaring, but I find it true in the mountains as well. If you like flying the 1-26, then find an FBO that has one and rent for a while. Owning a bird involves considerable expense , insurance, maintenance, annual, tie-down charges, not to mention that gee-wiz thingie that you just must have! I flew the 1-26 for a couple of years until I could get into ownership of a 30:1 bird!
Hope this helps,
JJ
Old October 15th 20, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

Ken
Earlier this year I started a thread on the L-33, pilots liked them very much.
At that time there were 2 for 10-11K In good condition with good trailers.
Search up that thread if you like.
Good searching!
Nick
Old October 15th 20, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Years back I was in a partnership in a glider.Â* Just imagine: An LS-6
for the price of an ASW-19!

Find a partner and buy a glider that costs twice what a 1-26 does. You
can't fly it every day so why not share?

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 16th 20, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 10:55:54 AM UTC-4, ken smith wrote:
Thanks for all the useful feedback. I have heard that the L33 has a weak tail boom and is prone to damage
and the Std Cirrus wants to spin. Would appreciate more info on these if you have experience with them.

Hi Ken,

I owned an L33 for several years when I was a new pilot and I now have many flights in a Standard Cirrus. I left the L33 tied out in South Florida protected by wing and canopy covers and the horizontal stabilizer removed. Like the Standard Cirrus the L33 was not as easy to assemble as some other ships. I did not find any bad handling characteristics in the L33 and did not baby it. I was taught to always land gliders level on the main wheel with no "flare." Having trained in Blanik L23's I found the L33 comfortable, durable and fun to fly. I like the Standard Cirrus that I occasionally fly as well and it is a significantly better performer but I do seem to recall that it drops a wing sharply in a stall. The only reason I would consider a 1-26 (have only one flight) is if I was planning to leave it assembled for local flights but an L33 is a better glider for that.

Stuart
Old October 17th 20, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

Hey Ken
Do you know the US For Sale Classified ads on Wingsandwheels.com?
There is a SGS 1 35 on there right now for 16.7k. Might get 38/1 if its clean.
If thats out of your price range, as Dan mentioned, a partnership can go a long way towards a much better ship.
Nick
Old October 17th 20, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Levy

On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 9:54:27 PM UTC-7, ken smith wrote:
On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 8:58:36 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Not to start the usual argument, but why? There are many great first generation fiberglass gliders available for the same price, much better condition, and much better performance. Everywhere you fly in Norcal your first thermal is a perilous glide away from the airport in a 1-26. I love the old 1-26, but around here I can't see it practical if you want to stay up.
John Cochrane.

Understand your point.. I will be moving to either southern CA or Nevada if that makes a diff.
Just looking for a no worries minimal set up ship. Also, just fly for fun and don't need to
accomplish anything. I don't see any glass ships, that don't have a non hinging canopy,
in the $10-12K range.

Ken;
I've flown 1-26's since 1996 with over 3000 hours in them. When out on soaring trips I'm often the first to launch because a 1-26 can work small weak thermals. I flew all the badges in 3 months in 1997. Flown dozens on 500k flights and some over 400 miles. There are many long flights in 1-26's by many other pilots. The 1-26 has a low stall speed and with a 40-foot wing span, it can be landed in places that other gliders can't.
I have friends that have modern high-performance ships and a 1-26 also because it's fun to fly.
I'm currently flying a 15-meter touring motor glider. I'm not comfortable flying it as close to the mountains as I would the 1-26. I'm certain that I could climb better in the smaller and broken thermals in the 1-26.
If you are in S. Ca. Inyokern is a great place for x-c. There are several places in Nevada that have great soaring.
That being said soaring is about having safe fun. Having a glider with the performance of those you fly with will give you a chance to team fly and learn.
Doug Levy