Instrument Rating

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 12th 20, 07:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Daniel[_6_]

Default Instrument Rating

So it's that time of year again. My aircraft insurane policy was due for
renewal. Broker got back with me and the proposal came out to $1200
higher than last year.

Now, while we were trying to figure this out, one of the topics of
discussion was my instrument rating. Insurance carriers will often
refuse to entertain coverage for a pilot flying a high performance
complex without the extra rating. So...

We cleared up the confusion and the proposal came out to be only $150
more than last year. Fair enough, I approved the proposal and I meet
them Monday to sign everything and pay.

But the age old question, for those of you who have the instrument
rating, is it as daunting as I expect? Dude from flight chops just got
his and it appeared grueling for him.

'You're going to have tons of fun getting your ifr dude.' Those words
came from my old cfi.

So I've printed out all the handbooks from the faa site, ordered the
exam handbook, and will soon discover the areas of far/aim i must learn.

Got my bfr on Sunday, so maybe we'll get a good idea if we can turn and
burn with my training and have the rating before next year's renewal
hits.

Some say insurance goes down considerably with the extra training.
--
Daniel

Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world