Truck vs Car as a tow vehicle

Old October 25th 20, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Behm

Default Truck vs Car as a tow vehicle

I am wondering how often a truck for towing a glider trailer might be an advantage? I have yet to buy my first glider, but of course and thinking that the next vehicle I purchase should be a good one to tow with (Incidentally, thinking of the GMC/Chevy Canyon/Colorado, with the 2.8L inline 4 diesel)..
But I am wondering how often that a truck is a better choice, all things considered.

Thanks.

Regards,
"Target"
Old October 25th 20, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

A truck makes it a bunch easier to use the 4WD to get out of a soft field.

Lou
Old October 25th 20, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Subaru Foresters work fine pulling single seaters in good trailers with brakes. A high draggy home made trailer without brakes might not work as well.

Two seaters generally call for a truck. I wrote off a Subie in a jackknife pulling a Puchaz.

The usual glider shopping advice is to buy a good trailer. You will learn why when derigging in the dark in a field.
Old October 27th 20, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, October 25, 2020 at 11:23:41 AM UTC-7, Chris Behm wrote:
I am wondering how often a truck for towing a glider trailer might be an advantage? I have yet to buy my first glider, but of course and thinking that the next vehicle I purchase should be a good one to tow with (Incidentally, thinking of the GMC/Chevy Canyon/Colorado, with the 2.8L inline 4 diesel).
But I am wondering how often that a truck is a better choice, all things considered.

Thanks.

Regards,
"Target"

The advantage of a truck is its ability to haul a lot of gear in the bed and its utility when not flying. You can also put a camper on a pickup and be self-contained at remote airfields (if you get a 3/4 ton pickup). Definitely get a 4WD model. I put a tall Snugtop canopy cover on my F250 crewcab and love its versatility.

Tom

Old October 27th 20, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marton KSz

Trucks with big engines will always be a better choice if towing capability is the only consideration. Car only comes into the picture as a possibility when someone wants a vehicle that is otherwise small and efficient when not being used for glider towing.
Old October 27th 20, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I've used, in order, a 1973 Datsun 240Z, a 1983 Nissan Maxima, a 1988
Ford F-150 4WD truck, a 2010 Subaru Outback, a 2011 Ford Edge front
wheel drive, and a Mercedes based Class C motor home to tow gliders.

The F-150 was the best, followed by the Outback, both of which were
daily drivers, otherwise.Â* The Maxima and 240Z were stopgaps when the
need arose.

You will find that towing your glider around in a trailer is not
something you'll do often enough to base your vehicle preference on
that.Â* Consider one or trips per year plus the odd landout.Â* I'd base my
vehicle choice on what I use it for most often.

Cheers!

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 28th 20, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, October 25, 2020 at 11:23:41 AM UTC-7, Chris Behm wrote:
I am wondering how often a truck for towing a glider trailer might be an advantage? I have yet to buy my first glider, but of course and thinking that the next vehicle I purchase should be a good one to tow with (Incidentally, thinking of the GMC/Chevy Canyon/Colorado, with the 2.8L inline 4 diesel).
But I am wondering how often that a truck is a better choice, all things considered.

Thanks.

Regards,
"Target"

I tow with a 1997 F150 and a Lexus RX300 SUV which is AWD and has a tow package. They both do a pretty good job towing my single seat glider in a Komet trailer. I prefer the Lexus as it drives nicer and you can haul the guys to dinner when out on an encampment. There’s plenty of room in the back with the seats folded down for equipment.

I would recommend 4WD/AWD pickup or mid size SUV. Make sure it comes with a tow package in either case.
Old October 28th 20, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, October 25, 2020 at 2:23:41 PM UTC-4, Chris Behm wrote:
I am wondering how often a truck for towing a glider trailer might be an advantage?

Weight and wheelbase are your friends. These are the criteria for better towing regardless of vehicle type.
Old October 28th 20, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I am wondering how often a truck for towing a glider trailer might be an advantage?

Uhh- How about EVERY TIME you are towing a glider trailer?

Apollo 13 pix last batch includes .par2s - "Apollo 13 space vehicle leaving Vehicle Assembly Building ap13-69-H-1906HR.jpg" yEnc (3/3) [960K] hielan' laddie Aviation Photos 0 September 12th 08 03:19 PM
Apollo 13 pix last batch includes .par2s - "Apollo 13 space vehicle leaving Vehicle Assembly Building ap13-69-H-1906HR.jpg" yEnc (2/3) [960K] hielan' laddie Aviation Photos 0 September 12th 08 03:19 PM
Apollo 13 pix last batch includes .par2s - "Apollo 13 space vehicle leaving Vehicle Assembly Building ap13-69-H-1906HR.jpg" yEnc (1/3) [960K] hielan' laddie Aviation Photos 0 September 12th 08 03:19 PM
747 versus truck gatt[_2_] Piloting 3 March 5th 08 03:20 AM
Saturn V Vehicle for the Apollo 4 Mission in the Vehicle Assembly Building 6754387.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 12th 07 01:38 AM