The Apology

Old November 7th 20, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default The Apology

On Friday, November 6, 2020 at 8:38:53 AM UTC-8, Chip Bearden wrote:
(BUMP)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Just before I posted, this deplorable thread was roughly 30 views (out of 6500) from moving into 6th place on the most-viewed-discussions-on-RAS rankings for 2020! As the U.S. presidential election just demonstrated, every vote (view) counts. And unlike that election, we can keep voting as many times as we want.

Tantalyzingly, it's only a few hundred views away from Top 5 status. So keep clicking.

Chip Bearden
JB

It's deplorable all right: you called my wife a liar and STILL haven't apologized.

Tom
Old November 7th 20, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden[_2_]

On Friday, November 6, 2020 at 6:40:32 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
It's deplorable all right: you called my wife a liar and STILL haven't apologized.

Tom

This discussion is full of remarks that beg for an apology, none of which has been forthcoming. So I'll go first. Some context:

[Tom] I showed [the ad] to my wife and she thought it was cute, and others here have noted a similar reaction.

[Chip] Tell the truth, Tom. What's your answer to "honey, does this dress make my butt look big?" Yeah, I thought so. This is what focus groups are for.

[Tom] And, then, you insulted my wife by implying that she was being dishonest. I think you owe her an apology.

I think I implied--by using a humorous-but-admittedly sexist analogy that many men in relationships with women are familiar with--that your wife might well have told you what you wanted to hear to be diplomatic or to protect your ego or to avoid an animated discussion.

But I don't know her so if my use of humor hurt or offended her, then I apologize.

Now it's your turn, dude.

I suggest you start by apologizing to Mike Westbrook and Hugh Grandstaff for saying they were the only ones who had used the phrase "childless corporate whores". That was factually untrue and you owe those guys an apology.

If we can close this out with apologies on both sides, however small, MAYBE then we can feel like we made some progress. Otherwise, this embarrassment is now the 6th-most-viewed RAS discussion of 2020 with a good chance of making the top 5. The mind boggles.

Chip Bearden
JB
Old November 8th 20, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Friday, November 6, 2020 at 7:04:47 PM UTC-5, Chip Bearden wrote:
[...]

Thanks for leading JB. I knew you had that contest id for a reason (private joke).
Old November 8th 20, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, November 6, 2020 at 4:04:47 PM UTC-8, Chip Bearden wrote:
[...]

Chip, I insisted on an apology, not because I thought you were being serious, (I knew you weren't), but to demonstrate how ridiculous this whole situation has become. These days, you can literally be fired for telling a joke.. We all need to get a grip.

BTW, I DIDN'T say that 'Mike Westbrook and Hugh Grandstaff were the only ones who had used the phrase "childless corporate whores".' Go check it out: I said that I "could not find" any other references after doing a search, which I did.

Tom
Old November 9th 20, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden[_2_]

On Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 5:58:55 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:

BTW, I DIDN'T say that 'Mike Westbrook and Hugh Grandstaff were the only ones who had used the phrase "childless corporate whores".' Go check it out: I said that I "could not find" any other references after doing a search, which I did.

[on 26 October, responding to Mike Westbrook, 2G wrote:]

The only people here who have used the phrase "childless corporate whores" are you and Hugh Grandstaff. If I am wrong, quote it because I have searched and could find no other references.

Tom, add me to your rapidly accumulating list of apologies owed. But if you have only one apology in you, then I yield my position to Mike and Hugh.

Chip Bearden
JB
Old November 9th 20, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden[_2_]

S C O R E !!!!!!!

In the past few minutes, this embarassing discussion has quietly (poetic license) moved into FIFTH PLACE (5th) on the 2020 Most-Viewed RAS Discussions list.

We're only a couple of hundred views out of 3rd--yes, THIRD PLACE!!! With Tom's assistance, we can do it!! Keep those clicks/views coming, folks. You're witnessing history being made. ;-)

Chip Bearden
JB
Old November 9th 20, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
andy l

On Sunday, 8 November 2020 at 22:58:55 UTC, 2G wrote:
BTW, I DIDN'T say that 'Mike Westbrook and Hugh Grandstaff were the only ones who had used the phrase "childless corporate whores".' Go check it out: I said that I "could not find" any other references after doing a search, which I did.

Tom

.. Try reading it in a forum format, such as Google groups
.. Most browsers have a Find in page search function
.. 49 instances of a certain word by now, including in quotes, and the first instance stands out well enough.

More to the point now, since some of us helped with finding the phrase in question, you haven't acknowledged with any thanks or other qualifying comment, such as you don't know how you missed it, thus leaving space for some here to feel your assertion may not have been entirely in good faith and some level of denial continues.

Old November 9th 20, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
andy l

On Monday, 9 November 2020 at 00:27:33 UTC, andy l wrote:
. 49 instances of a certain word by now, including in quotes, and the first instance stands out well enough.

Out of date already
Old November 10th 20, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 4:22:50 PM UTC-8, Chip Bearden wrote:
S C O R E !!!!!!!

In the past few minutes, this embarassing discussion has quietly (poetic license) moved into FIFTH PLACE (5th) on the 2020 Most-Viewed RAS Discussions list.

We're only a couple of hundred views out of 3rd--yes, THIRD PLACE!!! With Tom's assistance, we can do it!! Keep those clicks/views coming, folks. You're witnessing history being made. ;-)

Chip Bearden
JB

Chip, if it moves up the ladder it will be because of YOU beating a dead horse.

Tom

Apology Bob Gardner Piloting 2 January 4th 05 06:51 PM
Apology Curtis Soaring 0 October 20th 04 03:44 PM
Apology Curtis Rotorcraft 0 October 20th 04 03:43 PM
Apology Curtis Restoration 0 October 20th 04 03:42 PM
Apology Curtis Products 0 October 20th 04 03:30 PM