Cleaning a 3-way TE probe

Old October 10th 03, 08:54 PM
Ray Lovinggood

Dr. Jack,

How about this suggestion:

Disassemble the glider, put it in the trailer, and
spray insecticide in the trailer. Or, leave one of
the 'insecticide bombs' in the closed trailer. After
a couple of days, shouldn't that take care of them?
Assuming the insecticide doens't damage the ship or
trailer...

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

At 19:00 10 October 2003, Tony Verhulst wrote:

She seemed to be doing okay in the front seat of the
L-13 on tow, so I did not have the heart to tell her
about the mouse that was perched on her left shoulder.
He eventually ambled back to his abode somewhere
in
the ship and the flight continued.

When a student opened the air vent on a 2-33 at about
3K, a wasp was
blasted out and landed on his crotch right, at the
seat level. He din't
get stung but his dance, as seen from the back deat,
was interesting.

Tony V.

Old October 11th 03, 02:21 AM
Jack Glendening

Stewart Kissel wrote:
It could be worse.

I hope to someday get the chance to be able to say those same words to
_you_ ;-)

Old October 11th 03, 06:23 AM
John Morgan

"Martin Gregorie" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:55:11 GMT, Jack Glendening
wrote:
The other group had found ants living inside the box girders that form
their Landrover's chassis. They drove them from one end of the vehicle
to the other three times, using boiling water and insecticide and
completely stripping their stuff out each time, before they were able
to get rid of them.

Are you sure your ants are confined to your tail group and not getting
into the wheel box or under the seat pan?

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

NEWS FLASH!

UPI, Normally disingenuous but otherwise unreliable sources report that a
glider pilot
has been eaten alive by an army of army ants while flying in wave at Minden.

The FAA has issued emergency AD-101003-ANT-1 grounding all gliders until
spring (PW5s were excluded for cosmetic reasons as they were deemed unlikely
to attract ants).
..

--
bumper - ZZ
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

---

Old October 11th 03, 03:22 PM
Mark Navarre

Getting off the topic a lttle bit, there was a grade B Sci-Fi movie in the
early 70's called "Phase Four" or "Phase IV" about an ant colony that developed
heightened intelligence and was adapting rapidly to poisons used to eradicate
it. Each poison in turn was a different color and resulted in ants breeding to
match that color, the movie ended with the hero scientist being eaten by the
ants he was trying to destroy. The feeling of paranoia pervades the entire
movie, definitely worth a rental.

-
Mark Navarre
ASW-20 OD
California, USA
-
Old October 12th 03, 05:57 AM
Kizuno

Dr. Jack,
Having fought the ant wars at my trailer about 50 feet away from your ship, I
was only able to eliminate them (for the time being) by throwing a (thin) layer
of Diazanon around the areas where they entered. Those being the 5 ground
contact points (2 wheels, one front wheel and the two rear jacks.

They have plagued my trailer since June. I had used many things against them
before but only the Diazanon worked. Plus I sprayed the weeds around the
trailer with Roundup to prevent other access means. Terribly politically
incorrect, but hey, it's them or me.

I believe they are attracted not to any food I've left in the cockpit (although
that has happened before), but to the condensation around the trailer upper
half lid.

The bug wars never end. A couple months ago, I flew the glider from Tonopah to
Santa Barbara, stayed for three days, then flew back to Hollister. Upon
lifting my seat cushion to wipe out the dust, there sat one of those 4 inch
long nasty semi-scorpion Tonopah spiders. After killing it, I flashed on the
ending scene of the first "Alien" when Sigourney Weaver though she was rid of
the monster, only to find it was traveling with her. Ack!

But I digress.........

Kemp
Old October 13th 03, 05:13 AM
PKHahn

Living in Southern California we gets lots of ants looking for water.
They will go hundreds of feet for water. No amount of caulking is
sufficient to keep them out.

Being an avid ant hater, I have found the only way to have a shot a
chasing them off is to apply a residual insecticide like Ortho Home
Defense which includes a long lasting agent. These agents work by
having the ants get the agent on their feet which they then track back
to the colony where it kills the carrier (and their cleaners) and it
disrupts reproduction.

It is of course not environmentally friendly. So use it
sparingly--which to me means anywhere the ants might walk. I would
put it outside the trailer at all points where the ants might approach
the trailer or climb up. I would also put it all over the floor of
the trailer (while the ship is outside). I don't think I would put it
in the ship itself or on the ship as I have no idea what it would do t
the finish. Even though they say it lasts six months, I would apply
it monthly until the ants don't come back, and then every 2-3 months.

The only other solution is to move north where the ants get killed by
the cold and they don't regroup for the two months you have good
soaring.

Happy hunting!

Old November 5th 03, 07:45 PM
Jack Glendening

I hadn't gotten a chance to update this thread previously, in part
because I'm actually spending time soaring again after an enforeced
hiatus! But I later found a water bottle on its side behind the pilot's
seat, half full up to its nozzle, with dozens of dead ants floating
inside and now theorize that the water leaked out and was found by the
ants (as suggested by another poster) with the water likely flowing back
to the lowered tail. The animals do seem to love my glider. On my last
visit I arrived to find one wing loose. I first thought I might not
have tied it down correctly or that its stake had pulled out, but
instead I found that its rope had been severed in three places, fairly
cleanly as with a knife. All I can think is that one of the rodents out
there thought it might be good to eat and started chomping on it with
his teeth.