A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Typical glider service lives?

Old December 1st 18, 08:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Typical glider service lives?

On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 7:53:22 AM UTC-8, Boise Pilot wrote:
The three Blanik L-13's that just returned to service after having the world fleet grounding AD repaired now have 6,000 hour service life.
Boise Pilot

Is that 6,000 hours from the date of the recent factory rebuild or 6,000 total time from when they were first manufactured? I've been seriously considering getting back into an L-13 in the future. The AD&C mod has been accepted in Canada for quite a while but as far as I could tell it only allowed 5,000 hours total time from date of initial manufacture so the cost would have been hard to sustain unless I could have found an L-13 with under 2,000 hours total time. The factory rebuild and mod seems much more promising, so long as I can find a decent L-13 when the time comes.

As long as I have a better flying year in 2019 I should be looking into doing the 3,000 hour inspection on my ASW-15B fairly soon.
Old December 1st 18, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Typical glider service lives?

From Grob Astir CS Maint Manual.

Inspection Procedures for Increase of Service Time
1. General
The results of fatigue tests of wing spar sections have demonstrated recently that the
service time of GRP gliders and motor gliders may be extended to 6000 hours, if for
each individual glider (in addition to the obligatory annual inspections) the airworthiness
is demonstrated according to a special multi-step inspection program particularly with
regard to the service life.
2. Time limits
When the glider has reached a service time of 3000 hours, an inspection must be done
in accordance with the inspection program mentioned under point 3. If the results of
this inspection are positive or if any defects found have been duly repaired, the service
time of the glider is extended by another 3000 hours to a total of 6000 hours (first
step).
The above inspection program must be repeated when the glider has reached a service
time of 6000 hours. If the results of this inspection are positive or if any defects found
have been duly repaired, the service time of the glider is extended to 7000 hours
(second step).
When the glider has reached a service time of 7000 hours, the above inspection
program again must be repeated. If the results of the inspection are still positive or if any
defects found have been duly repaired, the service time may be extended to a total of
8000 hours (third step).
The gradual extension of service life will be performed by steps of 1000 flight hours up
to maximum 12 000 flight hours at this time (4th – 7th stage).
Additionally at 9500, 10500, 11500 operating hours, inspection of the wing connection
bolts and main spars spigots must be performed accordance to Service Bulletin TM
306-30, latest edition, action 7.

And the multi step inspection is straight forward, simple. Just need form from type holder.