Jan Driessen hits 25,000

Old April 9th 16, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Jan Driessen hits 25,000

I learned yesterday that Jan Driessen flew his 25,000th glider flight at Seminole Lake glider port in Florida. Jan (pronounced Yon) and also known as CP or Chili Pepper, pioneered soaring in the late 70's in the Montague, Shasta Valley area. He presently has a permanent residence near Weed California but is usually in Florida for the winter and Trukee in the summer. Jan logs all of his time in aircraft to the minute and has amassed 11,000 glider hours, most of which has been instruction. No spring chicken, he immigrated as a boy from the Netherlands near the end of WW 2 and flew the Glostor Meteor for the Canadian Airforce. Somehow he got to the U.S. And became a banker. Jan financed many gliders over the years. He has soloed and recommended literally hundreds of glider pilots.
We tend to recognize record and competition achievements in this sport when, in fact, the greatest contributors are the often the teachers.
Bravo! Chili Pepper

Dale Bush

Old April 9th 16, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp

On Saturday, April 9, 2016 at 11:52:04 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Flew often with Jan and Dale at Montague, fine pilots and fine people.

Congrats, Jan

gary kemp

Old April 10th 16, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Key Dismukes

Jan is an original; a great guy and a great instructor!

Key

Old April 10th 16, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Here, here, Great guy and good friend!

CH
Old April 10th 16, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Must be close to 16,000 hrs too.

Jan is a great instructor, fine fellow and I enjoy his stories.

He was almost shot by a spitfire when he was a boy. He was walking past a German convoy that had stopped. A German soldier was shot in the leg and taken into his house.
Old April 10th 16, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Way to go..........Chili Pepper!
JJ

Moller hits the UK CanalBuilder Home Built 25 September 4th 07 03:07 AM
Why we say HITS jsmith Piloting 1 April 18th 05 09:24 PM
60.000 hits and growimg ArtKramr Military Aviation 2 September 15th 04 07:29 AM
Over 50,000 hits. Thank you all. ArtKramr Military Aviation 13 April 10th 04 04:26 AM
40,000 Plus Hits. Thank you all. ArtKramr Military Aviation 125 November 4th 03 04:40 PM