How many Glider Rides in one day

Old October 29th 03, 03:14 PM
Thomas J Johnson

Jack:

On August 22, 1980, I made 53 tows at the now defunct Windy City
Soaring just outside of Chicago. Two gentlemen were trying to amass
PIC flights for their commercial certificates.

Other big days:

7-12-81 34 tows
7-20-80 26 tows
5-14-80 29 tows

Much younger with lots of energy. I couldn't do it today.

PS Windy City was a truly wonderful place to be at and learn. Ron
Ridenour ran a terrific operation. Very sad to see it go a few years
ago.

Tom J
Old October 29th 03, 05:23 PM
BMacLean

In 110 degree heat in Arizona I did 12 acro rides in one afternoon and
managed to "talk" some passenger into no acro and just cruising around (so I
could rest). I was whipped, never got out of the plane. I think they
offered me one more acro ride and I gave it to Kirk. They sent a golf cart
out to carry me to the shade because they said I looked so pathetic leaning
on the wing. I actually was in good shape. I just must look pathetic.

Barb

"Kirk Stant" wrote in message
Checking my scruffy old logbooks, on October 6, 1996 I gave 15
commercial glider rides at Turf Soaring: 1 acro in an ASK-21 (logbook
note says "She was a screamer but enjoyed it"!); 9 rides in my
favorite SGS 2-32 (the first was a "photo flight for the group",
whatever that was), and 5 more rides in a Grob 103A (which do not
appear to have been acro). At the time I was helping out as a part
time backseat stick actuator when groups from Phoenix resorts would
show up (40 or more at a time) for rides. OK in October, ugly in May
when the temps got into the 100's!

A month later (Nov 10) I gave 8 back to back acro rides in a G-103A -
that was a lot more work!

And my daily total is surely no better than average...

I don't remember any of those flights except for the screamer - she
was exceptional! I just love those 5 point harnesses...

It's a great way to build experience and time; and it is a lot of fun
most of the time - you meet some really fun people.

Kirk
Ls6-b "66"

Old October 29th 03, 11:44 PM
Mark Grubb

I did 59 tows in 1 day during the Wind Fair at Tehachapi.

Max all time for Skylark North was, I believe, 61 on the same day by Ted Hutter.
Old October 30th 03, 02:37 AM
Ray Lovinggood

Any towpilot who performs over 30 tows in one day is
definately due the 'Iron Butt' award. Wow! The coordination
for such a feat had to be first class, including the
time spent for refueling the towplane. You must have
refueled at least three times, maybe four. And potty
breaks?

Amazing stuff!

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

At 00:30 30 October 2003, Jack wrote:
in article ,
Mark Grubb at
wrote on 2003/10/29 17:44:

I did 59 tows in 1 day during the Wind Fair at Tehachapi.

Max all time for Skylark North was, I believe, 61
on the same day by Ted
Hutter.

I am awed, and weak in the knees just thinking about
it. I'd better get this
60-year old body whipped into shape for next season.
;

You and Ted must have had some excellent cooperation
and well organized
ground handling of the gliders to keep moving at that
rate. How many people
does an operation like that take?

Jack

Old October 30th 03, 06:27 AM
Mark Grubb

You and Ted must have had some excellent cooperation
and well organized ground handling of the gliders to keep moving at that
rate. How many people does an operation like that take?

At its peak, Skylark North in Tehachapi had the most professional,
highly tuned logistics of any operation I have ever seen - before or
since.

Days like the wind fair (1,500 ft tows) consisted of 3 tow planes, 6-7
ride pilots, and the most superb ground crew I have ever met. This
crew consisted of some amazing people: Mark Laciura - a videographer,
Rick Thereau - flight test engineer, Kelly Breed - photographer, and
my personal favorite, Kris Wiggs - educator and my then girlfriend and
now wife .

The flight line had the appearance of an aircraft carrier deck at full
throttle. Line crew would refill water bottles, give out wet towels,
bring food and watch you carefully for signs of impending dehydration
and general stupidity. At fuel stops they would be waiting with fuel
hose and ground wire in hand. The pilot would roll out, hit the head,
grab food & drink, check the gas cap, and strap back in.

Bluntly, we rocked!

It was some of the most fun I ever had.
Old October 30th 03, 12:22 PM
Ian McPhee

I recall in my past at Lake Keepit in Australia on one Friday doing 78
tows in PA25-235 and the next Friday I broke that record and did 82
tows. We were well organised on the ground with me dropping the rope
and the next glider would be ready to go and a ground crew would hook
on the next rope onto the Pawnee. This was done around May 20 which
was just before our winter so weather was cool and we started about
7.30am and finished 5.15pm which was near last light at this time of
the year. Previous day records were all around 50 tows and we have
never gone close to that record in more recent years. I believe you
could only do this in a Pawnee as it is relaxing to fly. I recall
stopping after each 12 flights for a little rest and this all happened
in 1987 - the good old days!!
Ian McPhee
Byron Bay Australia
Old October 31st 03, 09:33 AM
OscarCVox

Summer 2002 national championshipa at Lasham. 103 gliders launched in 62
minutes ( we were trying to get it under an hour)

Glider Rides - Gift Michael Simulators 1 December 7th 04 10:46 AM
Glider rides? Kbh2u General Aviation 2 November 15th 03 06:52 AM
Glider rides? Kbh2u Piloting 1 November 7th 03 01:02 AM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM