The Clunk

Old November 2nd 03, 02:29 PM
Marry Daniel or David Grah

My Libelle has developed a clunk. Seems like something big moving around.
I appreciate the leads on where you looked for yours.

David Grah
Bishop

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
All season long, I have heard a clunking sound every thme I hit a bump.

Checked
over everything several times and found nothing, battery secured with a

strap,
oxygen bottle tightly secured in its cradle, push-rod guides tight against

the
push-rods, no side play in the gear (retrasted)? I thought it might be the

main
wheel bouncing in the wheel-well, so I glued in a piece of foam to the top

of
the wheel-well, so that the retracted wheel would just touch it and

prevent any
vertical movement. Still had the clunk. Normally, I would forget about it,

but
this ship was "totaled" by the insurance company, about a year ago, and I

had a
nagging feeling that I had missed something in the rebuilding process.

Last week I lost all electrical powar, didn't have my back-up battery in,
because it was just a "fun" flight. Wasn't much "fun" after everything

stopped
working. Where am I, exactly? How far to that duster strip? How much

altitude
do I need? DAMN, I'm going to be forced to do some of that "Piloting

Stuff". No
audio. No vario, we need some altitude, right now or getting home isn't

the
most emediate problem. Boy, I miss the audio, Can't keep looking inside or

I'll
run into this other guy (in my thermal) Oh yeah, the B-40 has a back-up
internal battery (thanks Mike Borgelt) Getting home, just might work.

Lets see now, I'm about here, so how far to home? Should have put some of

those
"old-fashioned" distance circles on this "old-fashioned" map. OK, at 1000

feet
per 15 statute miles, I will need, Hmmmm, 30 miles divided by 10 = 3 times

1500
feet = 4500 feet. No that doesn't sound right? Oh, yeah, that's 30 miles
divided by 15 = 2, times 1000 = 2000 feet + 500 for pattern. Now what's

the
elevation? Let's see now, that's up one page on the GPS, Oh hell, it's now
working, remember

Anyway, I made it home and found the electrical problem and the "Clunk" at

the
same time. The clunk was the battery plug, clunking at the end of its 6

inch
lead. All this clunking broke the wire at the solder connection to the

battery.
I now have the plug epoxied to the battery and I'm clunk free at last,

clunk
free at last, Thank God all mighty, I'm clunk free at last.
JJ Sinclair

Old November 2nd 03, 04:53 PM
Peter Seddon

I'm clunk free at last, clunk
free at last, Thank God all mighty, I'm clunk free at last.
JJ Sinclair

I fly a Pilatus B4 sounds like a coke can when you stress it a bit. I've
heared tails of people jumping out because they thought it was breaking up.
It can be quite noisy when the air gets lumps in it.

Peter S
DLA

Old November 2nd 03, 05:34 PM
JJ Sinclair

I appreciate the leads on where you looked for yours.

David Grah

Hi Dave,
Check your main wheel, bouncing in the retracted position. I found my 301
Libelle, "clunk" was that.

Nobody has jumped me for my obvious mistake in posting, The Clunk. Come on ras.
Who will be the first to jump old JJ?
JJ Sinclair
Old November 2nd 03, 06:29 PM
BTIZ

first time I flew a Libelle.. I must have been slightly yawed when I lifted
the gear.. the yaw held a gear door open...

sounded like a bowling ball rolling to the tail as that door closed..

now that is an attention getter...

and I have never been able to repeat it.. but that's the only thing I can
think of that gave that errie sound.. CG rolling Aft...

BT

Old November 2nd 03, 06:43 PM
Jack Glendening

JJ, I want some of that stuff you are putting on your wings so you can
count on gliding 15sm and only losing 1000 ft

Old November 2nd 03, 09:49 PM
Mike Borgelt

On 02 Nov 2003 15:04:24 GMT, (JJ Sinclair) wrote:

[...]

Reminds me a little of the Hornet at the loacal club. One day a guy
came down and said the rudder had jammed momentarily while doing mild
aerobatics.
After a bit of discussion and nothing obviously wrong we took the
rudder off and found the screw in bit of a panel mounted fuse holder
lying in the bottom of the rudder.

Glad the B40 9 volt battery saved it for you JJ.

Mike Borgelt
Old November 2nd 03, 10:20 PM
JJ Sinclair

Dr. Jack wrote
JJ, I want some of that stuff you are putting on your wings so you can
count on gliding 15sm and only losing 1000 ft

Right on Jack,
Just goes to show how much we rely on our airborne computers, doesn't it?
Actually, my rule for kitty gliders is 2000 feet per 15 s/m. In the ASH-25 it's
easy, 100 foot per mile :) + or - the wind of course. Flew the Genesis again
and this time I put both batteries in. Logged 4 hours, 200 miles and got to
10K, not bad for November. It's all over now though, 26 degrees this morning
with rain predicted in the valley and snow for the Sierras.
JJ + Genesis 2 = :)

JJ Sinclair
Old November 2nd 03, 10:37 PM
Jack Glendening

JJ Sinclair wrote:
Dr. Jack wrote
JJ, I want some of that stuff you are putting on your wings so you can
count on gliding 15sm and only losing 1000 ft

Right on Jack,
Just goes to show how much we rely on our airborne computers, doesn't it?

I had just been flying my glider the day before but it's LNAV isn't
properly calibrated and always thinks I have a 10kt tailwind so I know
it's "required altitude" is optimistic and had been doing that kind of
mental calucation all day. So when I saw that you used 15 miles it
certainly caught my eye. (I use nautical miles, though, since then I
can use the latitude scale as a quick ruler, 1minute=1nm).

Old November 3rd 03, 07:04 AM
Mark James Boyd

Anyway, I made it home and found the electrical problem and the "Clunk" at the
same time. The clunk was the battery plug, clunking at the end of its 6 inch
lead. All this clunking broke the wire at the solder connection to the battery.
I now have the plug epoxied to the battery and I'm clunk free at last, clunk
free at last, Thank God all mighty, I'm clunk free at last.

The best off the shelf connector between removable battery and
the glider I have seen is a male/female "electric lighter"
setup (y'know, like a cigarette lighter). They're easy to insert
and remove and large enough to manhandle.

After having wires bend and fray, I now tube/shrinkwrap my
electric connections so they don't get as much mechanical play up
and down.