Vans RV-G glider

Old November 4th 03, 03:43 PM
Kirk Stant

(Vince C) wrote in message . com...
The Peterson Javelin was built mostly out of metal and domed rivets.
The company carried out tests on the rivet shapes and reckoned there
was no difference between flush and domed. Furthemore they obtained
thier own 'cheap' rivets which they had FAI approved which saved them
a fortune.

The report can be found on the SSA website under the articles on
flight tests of various gliders.

Of course this relates to the 'then' technology, 'now' may be
completely different

And as a result the Javelin was a medium-performance glider, with no
laminar flow over the wing. The design goal was low cost, not
performance (which explains the identical tail control surfaces and
spoiler roll control.

An interesting glider - I flew a brand new one once at the old
Vacaville gliderport back in the late 70s - OK performance but really
poor glidepath control and somewhat odd roll control. Sadly, the
following day it crashed (during a landing attempt, I think) and the
pilot was killed. I remember not being surprised by the accident,
which I think was a high pattern resulting in a low 360 attempt and
the classic stall/spin on final. Not a slam on the glider - it was
just different.

I cringe when I see gliders tied out for long periods - even poor
little 1-26s. At least hangar the little things! Especially now when
something like a PW-5 or Alpis can be rigged and ready to go in 30
minutes - clean, no bird droppings, no hangar rash, and with a really
detailed preflight inspection (at least that is how I treat my
assembly process..).

To me, a lot of the fun is the whole rig-tape-wash-setup
cockpit-pushover ritual that leads to a soaring flight. As long as it
isn't a Lak-12 or Nimnbus 3 - of course!

Kirk
Ls-6
Old November 4th 03, 06:00 PM
Tony Verhulst

one of the first jet bombers built in France, called
Vautour, that was glued instead of riveted, don't know if there
were other ones.

B-58 "Hustler"

Tony V.

Old November 6th 03, 09:17 AM
Graham Prophet

Riveted or stuck, I guess, because you can't easily weld alloy sheet. It
would appear that now you can; I came across a reference to a biz-jet, the
Eclipse 500, that's built by something called friction stir welding. (google
'friction stir welded airframe' or 'Eclipse 500'). So I suppose in
principle you could now build an accurate alloy profile with a completely
smooth surface. Probably big-bucks for capital equipment and tooling so I
doubt if anyone will try building a glider with it, though. And it would
still take just the one hard push in ground handling - small dent - and
there goes your accurate profile.

Graham

Old November 6th 03, 07:02 PM
Mark James Boyd

| Is it possible to make a retract gear metal glider with
| flush rivets and a carry-through spar which would give
| 40:1 ratio, or is metal just a substance that won't
| allow the shapes or fine tolerances needed to make such
| a wing?

From talking to some other pilots, there seem to be other
disadvantages too: metal wings don't flex well so
rivets will pop on long wings with high load, constructing
long thin wings is much more challenging using metal,
construction time and creating the optimal wing shape
or more difficult with metal.

I think I brought this up because I've liked the 1-26 for
it's short wings (for landing out) and lack of struts and
the fact we can leave it out in the weather. Of course
it's glide ratio and high speed glide are poor, compared
to modern ships.

For me, because I weigh 150#, long heavy wings are not so
interesting. A Pegasus or PW-5 is really nice, but the
high speed polar could use some improvement (flaps?) and
even easier assembly would be cool.

The APIS FAI may be just the ticket for this. Very light
(so I imagine the wings are light for assembly), short
wingspan, and ailerflaps (flaplerlons?) are a great start.
I just wonder what the 80knot sink is with that draggy
wheel sticking out the bottom like the PW-5, and at
the lower weight with a 150# pilot...I haven't yet
found an APIS polar anywhere...