2019 XC & Jr Development Camps

Old November 27th 18, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 2019 XC & Jr Development Camps

On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 4:11:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
My apologies, I haven't surfed RAS in a couple of weeks...

I saw the thread and thought everyone should know there are some plans in the works for 2019.

The tentative plan is to hold both East Coast and West Coast Junior Development Camp/Contests in 2019. The West Coast camp is being organized by Thomas Greenhill and will run concurrently with a regional sports class contest, if approved. Site-selection is under way; Williams Soaring is one possible destination. The East-Coast camp/contest will likely be held at Harris Hill Soaring Club again (Region 3), if Harris Hill approves of the the Junior/Youth Committee's request to do so. I can't speak for JYC but I think JP Stewart has been in communication with Andy Brayer about hosting the camp, and the club is open to hosting it again.

Having said that, we would like to recruit other possible sites to host future Junior Soaring contests... Ephrata and TSA would make good alternative sites I believe if they have the necessary infrastructure in place. Ideally we need a site that has a home club that has 2 or more Buss Class or 20m two-seaters available for experienced, local contest pilots to mentor Juniors who don't have their own single-seater to fly in the contest. Sites also need camping, shower, and restroom facilities available to Junior campers..

Additionally, former or current US Team members, national champions, and other experienced contest pilots are greatly needed as mentors and camp instructors, lecturers, etc. The SSA's Junior/Youth Committee would also like to get the US Team more involved in mentoring Junior pilots who are developing advanced racing skills in an effort to further develop a pool of young contests pilots who may be eligible for U.S. Junior Team consideration.

Lastly, clubs who are interested in hosting a Junior Camp/Contest should contact myself or JP Stewart so we can start planning ahead for 2020.

Best regards,

Chris Schrader
SSA Director, Region 6

Based upon conversations in Elmira last weekend, Andy is proceeding with approvals for Junior camp at HHSC in conjunction with the Region 3 contest. The plan is to also have a junior class in the regional.
Chief instructor for the camp is in place.
If Tony wants to run a south event, even better.
UH

US: Pilot Ranking List (PRL) for 2019 John Leibacher Soaring 1 October 22nd 18 07:38 PM
Nephi OLC 2019 Nick Kennedy[_3_] Soaring 0 October 7th 18 12:10 AM
2019 US Nationals [email protected] Soaring 6 August 28th 18 10:36 PM
SE US Wave Camps Lauren Soaring 2 June 3rd 14 05:28 PM
XC Soaring camps RAS56 Soaring 14 September 15th 11 12:57 PM