I need to trace an IP address

Old April 24th 08, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default I need to trace an IP address

Does anyone have a means to trace to t least a general location the
following IP address?

72.191.163.46
Many thanks
--
Dudley Henriques
Old April 24th 08, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Does anyone have a means to trace to t least a general location the
following IP address?

72.191.163.46
Many thanks

Probably somewhere in Texas - possibly Houston area (could be way out in
the countryside though). Obviously can't be sure. It's an IP address
belonging to RoadRunner, according to the DNS authority section. The
reverse DNS lookup yields the name:

cpe-72-191-163-46.elp.res.rr.com

Traceroute from my location a few moments ago terminated at:

gig0-1.elpstxh5-ubr2.elp.rr.com

The traceroute went through what appears to be a router in the Dallas area
and then possibly in Houston, based on guesses from probable host name
conventions used by RR.

Maybe someone with better tools and info can provide more accurate info.

What makes you interested, if I may ask?
Old April 24th 08, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jim Logajan wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
Does anyone have a means to trace to t least a general location the
following IP address?

72.191.163.46
Many thanks

Probably somewhere in Texas - possibly Houston area (could be way out in
the countryside though). Obviously can't be sure. It's an IP address
belonging to RoadRunner, according to the DNS authority section. The
reverse DNS lookup yields the name:

cpe-72-191-163-46.elp.res.rr.com

Traceroute from my location a few moments ago terminated at:

gig0-1.elpstxh5-ubr2.elp.rr.com

The traceroute went through what appears to be a router in the Dallas area
and then possibly in Houston, based on guesses from probable host name
conventions used by RR.

Maybe someone with better tools and info can provide more accurate info.

What makes you interested, if I may ask?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm on a Mac and I don't have a DOS prompt.
After I posted I found the Network Utility with a Ping and Traceroute
Tab, so I just got the same data you did. Looks like Texas.

Reason is nothing sinister really; curiosity about a Usenet prankster.
:-)

--
Dudley Henriques
Old April 24th 08, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Thanks much. Appreciate your time.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old April 24th 08, 07:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Nomen Nescio wrote:
It shows up as

Hostname

cpe-72-191-163-46.elp.res.rr.com

Geo-Location Information

Country United States
State/Region TX
City El Paso
Latitude 31.7958
Longitude -106.3762
Area Code 915

at
http://whatismyipaddress.com/

I'll try to remember that web site - though it places my own IP address in
Eugene Oregon - about 20 miles from where I really live. Close enough I
suppose for a really big nuke to take me out unless I duck! ;-)
Old April 24th 08, 09:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Dudley Henriques schrieb:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm on a Mac and I don't have a DOS prompt.

Fire up Terminal.app and you'll a much more powerful tool: a Unix
prompt. ;-)
Old April 24th 08, 09:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-24, Dudley Henriques wrote:
cpe-72-191-163-46.elp.res.rr.com

elp == El Paso.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm on a Mac and I don't have a DOS prompt.

No, but you do have a Unix command line: it's in Applications/Utilities/
Terminal.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old April 24th 08, 09:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-24, Jim Logajan wrote:
Nomen Nescio wrote:
http://whatismyipaddress.com/

I'll try to remember that web site - though it places my own IP address in
Eugene Oregon - about 20 miles from where I really live.

It places me in Minneapolis, about 125 miles wrong.
Old April 24th 08, 09:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Michael Henry[_2_]

I'm on a Mac and I don't have a DOS prompt.

If you're using OS-X you've got something much, much better than a "DOS"
prompt. You've got a proper UNIX shell!
Old April 24th 08, 11:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Apr 24, 6:06*pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
[...]

Use terminal and all the rich tools of UNIX are at you disposal.

Cheers