Short Wings Gliders

Old January 28th 09, 07:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Short Wings Gliders

On Jan 27, 7:48*pm, sisu1a wrote:
How many gliders with a wing span of 13.5 or less do you know?

To start the list...

1.Russia
2.PW-5
3.Sparrowhawk
4.SW-1 Swift
5.SZD-59 Acro (in 13.2m mode, the one that gets me exited...)
6.Woodstock
7.1-26

-Paul

H101 Salto...

with or without 200Lb thrust jet engine..
Old January 28th 09, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pat Russell

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 19:09:43 -0800 (PST), RRK
wrote:

How many gliders with a wing span of 13.5 or less do you know?

From the evidence provided in this thread, I'd say about 3000.

Old January 28th 09, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Silent[_2_]

Default Short Wings Gliders ...list

At 03:09 28 January 2009, RRK wrote:
How many gliders with a wing span of 13.5 or less

do you know?

01. Russia
02. PW-5 13.4 m
03. Sparrowhawk 11 m 36 ft
04. SW-1 Swift
05. SZD-59 Acro 13.2 m
06. Woodstock
07. Schweizer 1-26 12.2 m 40 ft
08. Cherokee II is more like 12.2 m
09. Duster 13.1 m
10. Slingaby Swallow
11. BG135
12. Apis-13
13. Silent Club 13.0 m
14. Silent 2 13.3 m
15. H101 Salto
16 Monerai S 11 m 36 ft
Old January 28th 09, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman

sisu1a wrote:
How many gliders with a wing span of 13.5 or less do you know?

Marske Monarch 12.8
Marske Pioneer II 13.0
Maupin Carbon Dragon 13.4
Maupin WindRose I 12.65

Regards,

-Doug
Old January 28th 09, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Silent[_2_]

At 13:15 28 January 2009, Dan Silent wrote:
At 03:09 28 January 2009, RRK wrote:
How many gliders with a wing span of 13.5 or less
do you know?

01. Russia
02. PW-5 13.4 m 44 ft 1 in
03. Sparrowhawk 11 m 36 ft
04. SW-1 Swift
05. SZD-59 Acro 13.2 m
06. Woodstock
07. Schweizer 1-26 12.2 m 40 ft
08. Cherokee II 12.2 m
09. Duster 13.1 m
10. Slingaby Swallow
11. BG135
12. Apis-13 13.3 m 43 ft 8 in
13. Silent Club 13.0 m
14. Silent 2 13.3 m
15. H101 Salto
16 Monerai S 11 m 36 ft
17. Cessna CG-2 11 m

OPEN COMPETITION IS THE SOUL OF PROGRESS!!!!!!
AND EVOLUTION.
MONO-DESIGN = MONOPOLY = TOLL = TARIFF = .......

Old January 28th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Silent[_2_]

At 13:23 28 January 2009, Doug Hoffman Short Wings

01. Russia
02. PW-5 13.4 m 44 ft 1 in
03. Sparrowhawk 11 m 36 ft
04. SW-1 Swift
05. SZD-59 Acro 13.2 m
06. Woodstock
07. Schweizer 1-26 12.2 m 40 ft
08. Cherokee II 12.2 m
09. Duster 13.1 m
10. Slingaby Swallow
11. BG135
12. Apis-13 13.3 m 43 ft 8 in
13. Silent Club 13.0 m
14. Silent 2 13.3 m
15. H101 Salto
16 Monerai S 11 m 36 ft
17. Cessna CG-2 11 m
18. Monarch 12.8 m
19. Pioneer II 13.0 m
20. Carbon Dragon 13.4 m
21. WindRose I 12.65 m

Old January 28th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rollings[_2_]

How many gliders with a wingspan of 13.5 metres or less have enjoyed a
production run of over 1000? ...over 500? Ask yourself why?

Old January 28th 09, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Silent[_2_]

At 14:00 28 January 2009, Chris Rollings wrote:
How many gliders with a wingspan of 13.5 metres or less have enjoyed a

production run of over 1000? ...over 500?

Ask yourself why?

Maybe because only few realized that short spans gliders
climb better if lightweight
much easier recover from low
are fun to fly and sometime safer
45 to 45 in 2 secs instead of half an hour
much less expensive to tow
much greener on the ecological scale
land on a dime
very easy to rig and de-rig on land-out
easier to hangar
of course when it comes to speed they sink like stones,
I think the fun part of soaring is thermalling,
unless dolphining!
going straight is boring........... particularly when high!

production runs of over 1000? ...over 500?
none in the past!
with new materials, new technologies, much lower prices
and new regulations wingspan of 13.5 metres or less
could take off in great number
when the chinese start building them
they will sell like candies!!!
soon, when unobtanium will be available
price will drop a lot!

light motorgliders are now a big success............
over 300 sinuses sold,
a new trend?

Old January 28th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfer!

In message , Dan Silent
writes
snip
going straight is boring........... particularly when high!

Snip

It is? I loved flying along at 3,000' agl under a cloud street at 80
knots without going down. Ditto flying along a wave bar.

--
Surfer!
Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net
Old January 28th 09, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Jan 28, 7:15*am, Dan Silent wrote:
At 14:00 28 January 2009, Chris Rollings wrote:
How many gliders with a wingspan of 13.5 metres or less have enjoyed a
production run of over 1000? *...over 500?

1-26 (700)

Maybe because only few realized that short spans gliders
climb better if lightweight

That applies to longer wings as well. Lighter is better for climbing.
Heavier is better when the lift is good and you have places to go.

much easier recover from low

Debatable. But shorter wings definitely have more potential for
successful outlanding.

are fun to fly

True.

and sometime safer

Yes, sometimes. But the shorter the wings, the lighter you have to
make everything in order to have wing loading conducive to reasonable
sink rate. Granted that shorter wings are lighter and carry less
energy into a crash, the demands for light weight leave you less
margin for cockpit crash resistance.

45 to 45 in 2 secs instead of half an hour

True enough.

much less expensive to tow

In theory, yes. In practice, this hasn't been the case yet.

much greener on the ecological scale

True enough.

land on a dime

Okay...

very easy to rig and de-rig on land-out
easier to hangar

Definitely true.

of course when it comes to speed they sink like stones,

Debatable.

I think the fun part of soaring is thermalling,
unless dolphining!
going straight is boring........... particularly when high!

production runs of over 1000? *...over 500?
none in the past!
with new materials, new technologies, much lower prices
and new regulations wingspan of 13.5 metres or less
could take off in great number

Yup, could be, so long as it's regarded favorably among the youthful.
Maybe we can spin it as an extreme sport.

when the chinese start building them
they will sell like candies!!!

Um, no, I don't think so. I have investigated outsourcing composite
components to China. I wouldn't mind outsourcing simple shells and
other kit moldings, but I wouldn't want to be buying or selling any
critical structure that I couldn't thoroughly inspect inside and out,
and that I couldn't test for black fiberglass.

soon, when unobtanium will be available
price will drop a lot!

Unobtanium usually works the other way...

light motorgliders are now a big success............
over 300 sinuses sold, a new trend?

Among those with $75K of discretionary funds, definitely.

Thanks, Bob K.