Help With My training

Old May 2nd 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Shirl

Default Help With My training

Gezellig wrote:
WOW you guys are great, thanks for all the pointers, I learned sumpin
from everyone. I'm chair sitting, sledding and reading all at once!

I used to live in San Mateo. When I go back there, the airspace seems
insanely crowded -- "you're 6th in line behind blahblahblah!" Are you
flying with West Valley?
Old May 2nd 08, 08:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Hilton

Actually SQL is a busy, yet not busy airport; i.e. you taxi to the runway
and you're flying pretty shortly after that. I did my CMEL at SQL and I
don't recall any long waits. The tower guys are great. I was up in the
tower once when some guy comes flying in and *seriously* did not know his
left from his right. Tower would ask him to turn left and he'd turn right
etc. He didn't know the runways either. The tower guys had to start saying
things like: "Look which side of the panel your airspeed indicator is on and
turn that way." The atmosphere alternated between professional concern to
amusement. This guy was all over the airspace - scarey. PAO is a lot more
crowded. I was once about 6th in line and announced "Cessna 12345 in
sequence runway 31, Angel Flight". The reply was "Cessna 345, if you can,
taxi around the other aircraft, cleared for take-off" Nice. RHV can get
busy, but if you can fit in with the flow on busy days, it's easy enough.
Perhaps the quietest place nowadays is SJC Intl if you don't mind mixing it
with 737s and DC-10s - they don't share the short runway with you
fortunately.

The Bay Area is a great place to fly, Napa is 40 minutes, Monterey is 30,
Tahoe is 1:20, Yosemite is 50 minutes, Harris Ranch is 1:00, etc...

Hilton

Old May 2nd 08, 10:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Shirl

Shirl:

"Hilton" wrote:
[...]

That's true, about all those great places only being minutes away. I
also love to go from either SQL or PAO over the hill to Half Moon Bay
and fly along the coast when the clouds aren't sitting right on the
hill. Hollister was cool, too.

My daughter was a CFI at PAO, and you're right, that place is even
busier than SQL. That's where I was also 6th in line, but as you said,
the controllers are very good, and amazingly, even with multiple schools
and only one runway, there were no long waits as there are here at DVT
(Arizona) where you can sit for 20 minutes or more waiting to be cleared
for takeoff. Hayward and Livermore seem pretty nice, less busy ... I'm
just not used to, and not crazy about flying over the bay!
;-)

Shirl
Old May 2nd 08, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
tj

Hello,

I just began flight training and had a similar problem with steering on the
ground.

My guy says left hand on your knee and right on the throttle.
It is too easy to wind up going too fast, especially when you are new. (for
me anyway) give it a little gas to move the plane then have your hand on the
throttle to adjust speed.

"Gezellig" wrote in message
Last Friday, I went up for an introductory flight lesson out of the San
Carlos airport. WOW!!!!!! I have been dreaming about learning to fly
since I was in my teens. All the time I was in the air the lines of
that famous poem kept going through my head "Oh, I have slipped the
surly bonds of Earth.........". When we landed (I didn't want to ever
come down :-)) the instructor asked me if I thought I would be
interested in flying and I told him that wild horses couldn't stop me
now and proceeded to sign-up for two flight days the following week. I
had my second flight day, this afternoon, practicing a variety of turns
while maintaining (or making attempts to) altitude.

One question I had for the instructors out there - what I seemed to find
more awkward than anything was steering the nose wheel using my feet on
the rudder pedals. The people in the control tower must have thought I
looked like a wounded bird taxing out to hold position before takeoff.
Is there some 'trick' to getting the hang of this, so often I would be
tempted to reach up and turn the control yoke but resisted the
temptation (due to its futility).

Once again, thank you all for your posts on this newsgroup. I finally
just made myself go out and start. I fly again, on Friday and will keep
you posted. Meanwhile I am going to pour over some of the aviation
training books to review some of the things I learned today. Just
starting out, but I am so excited!

Old May 2nd 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mark Hansen

On 05/02/08 05:12, tj wrote:
Hello,

I just began flight training and had a similar problem with steering on the
ground.

My guy says left hand on your knee and right on the throttle.
It is too easy to wind up going too fast, especially when you are new. (for
me anyway) give it a little gas to move the plane then have your hand on the
throttle to adjust speed.

Just remember that while these are good tactics for getting used to controlling
direction with the rudder pedals, you don't want to make this a permanent
habit. You'll generally need one hand on the yoke/stick to apply proper control
deflections for any cross winds that may be blowing across your taxi route.

This will come a little later in your training.

Best Regards,

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Old May 2nd 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Steve Foley

"Nomen Nescio" wrote in message

That's a GREAT idea.
Simple, effective, easy to practice.
I wish I'd thought of it 35 years ago.

Did you come up with that, yourself?

Yup. I invented it. I collect a royalty every time someone chair-flies. Some
people get around the fee by bench-flying.

Old May 2nd 08, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
gatt[_3_]

Nomen Nescio wrote:

Wait until you've done an intense hour of touch & go's, get in you car to drive
home, accelerate through about 40-45 mph, and realize that you're starting
to apply back pressure to the steering wheel.

....and taxiing straight down the centerline.

-c

Old May 2nd 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Maxwell[_2_]

"gatt" wrote in message
Nomen Nescio wrote:

Wait until you've done an intense hour of touch & go's, get in you car to
drive
home, accelerate through about 40-45 mph, and realize that you're
starting
to apply back pressure to the steering wheel.

...and taxiing straight down the centerline.

-c

I remember sensations when I first started also. Steering with you feet, not
turning the yoke as you turn, wanting to hold a little back pressure driving
home, etc.

But the oddest sensation for me has been riding the Segways. The first few
rides on one of them, and I was glad I wasn't FLYING home. The car was bad
enough.

Old May 2nd 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in
news

"gatt" wrote in message
Nomen Nescio wrote:

Wait until you've done an intense hour of touch & go's, get in you
car to drive
home, accelerate through about 40-45 mph, and realize that you're
starting
to apply back pressure to the steering wheel.

...and taxiing straight down the centerline.

-c

I remember sensations when I first started also. Steering with you
feet, not turning the yoke as you turn, wanting to hold a little back
pressure driving home, etc.

But the oddest sensation for me has been riding the Segways. The first
few rides on one of them, and I was glad I wasn't FLYING home.

I'm sure the people along your track would be as well.

Bertie
Old May 3rd 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dave[_19_]

AND driving down the center line!

Dave

On Fri, 2 May 2008 06:00:30 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio
wrote:

Wait until you've done an intense hour of touch & go's, get in you car to drive
home, accelerate through about 40-45 mph, and realize that you're starting
to apply back pressure to the steering wheel.

-

Training [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 12th 05 02:04 PM
Training [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 August 11th 05 02:10 AM
Training Ruski Soaring 4 August 1st 05 11:48 PM
Training Q - Is this appropriate Jules Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 6th 04 05:57 AM
Yak 52 Training gpa Aerobatics 0 November 10th 03 07:15 AM