What is Sikorskys Vision for Future Rotorcraft?

Old April 18th 05, 12:28 AM
CTR

Default What is Sikorskys Vision for Future Rotorcraft?

Bell's future vision is filled with Tiltrotors (V-22, BA609, Eagle
Eye).

Boeing's future vision is filled with canard wing stop rotors's
(Dragonfly).

What is Sikorsky's future vision? Variable Diameter Tiltrotors?
Refinement of the convntional helicopter? Are they working on any
flying prototypes?

Just curious.

CTR

Old April 18th 05, 06:05 PM
Dave Jackson

There was some type of heavy lift transport proposal a couple of years ago.

Bell proposed the V-44.
Boeing proposed a Side-by-Side.
And as I recall, Sikorsky proposed the http://www.unicopter.com/1281.html

Dave J

oups.com...

Old April 18th 05, 09:53 PM
Helowriter

The Advancing Blade Concept may make a comeback. The S-69/XH-59 with
stacked co-axial rotors was hampered by empty weight and hub drag.
Today's improvements in composite materials, fly-by-wire controls, and
transmissions may make the ABC viable for higher-speed applications.
Sikorsky is again showing ABC concepts, so . . .

The telescoping tilt rotor idea is still around, but I somehow see that
less likely than the ABC.

HW

Old April 19th 05, 02:22 AM
CTR

Thanks Dave and HW. I have contacts at Boeing and Bell. So with the
exception of the Black projects I keep tabs on going on with them.
Searching patent applications lets me get an idea what Sikorskys
thinking about. As HW replied, Sikorsky has patented some Variable
Diameter Rotor concepts. But until I see an effort to build a flying
prototype, even a UAV, I doubt much is going on.

Thanks for the input,

CTR

Old April 26th 05, 02:49 PM
Helowriter

Oh, and don't forget the Cypher UAV work - shouded rotor derived from
the Comanche fantail -- may have some future application. I think that
program has gone quiet for the present.

HW

Old April 26th 05, 05:27 PM
Dave Jackson

There was something about a Mono Tiltrotor in the last issue of Flight
International.

A search on the Internet shows [US Army],[Developed by Baldwin Technology on
Long Island, with assistance from the Rotorcraft Center of Excellence at the
University of Maryland]

Anybody know anything ???

Dave

ps.com...