An Olive Branch

Old November 8th 04, 02:19 AM
Jay Honeck

The differences you imply to be insignificant are quite what
differentiates the ignorant from the educated.

They do not, however, help a person to make an intelligent decision. Not
about politics, nor anything else. Nor are today's "common folk" any
better at doing that sort of thing than the "common folk" of 200+ years
ago, IMHO.

The ability to read and write doesn't "help a person to make an intelligent
decision"?

That is, quite possibly, the single most absurd conclusion I've *ever* read
on Usenet.

Congratulations!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 8th 04, 02:54 AM
mike regish

I have one adamant Bushie at work who thinks the friggin' war is in Iran!

mike regish

"Corky Scott" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 12:38:11 -0500, "Icebound"
wrote:

On the security front, I found it interesting that the people most likely
be affected by terrorism (the big cities)... especially New York City, and
in spite of Guiliani's. popularity... still voted overwhelmingly AGAINST
the incumbent???? (like 70%plus ... 80% in the case of The Bronx)

I saw an interesting political tidbit the other day, it stated that
Bush supporters apparently did not believe the conclusions of the 9/11
Commission. Perhaps the folks in the Bronx did?

Corky Scott

Old November 8th 04, 02:56 AM
mike regish

Not by a long shot.

mike regish

"Newps" wrote in message

Perhaps, but us little minded people are right.

Old November 8th 04, 03:07 AM
Jay Honeck

I have one adamant Bushie at work who thinks the friggin' war is in Iran!

A premonition?

If the Ayatollahs don't abandon their nuclear program, that's where this
road leads.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 8th 04, 04:34 AM
leslie

mike regish ) wrote:
: I have one adamant Bushie at work who thinks the friggin' war is in Iran!
:

No, no, that's the next war:

http://www.theorator.com/bills108/s2681.html
Iran Freedom and Support Act of 2004

"...SEC. 3. SENSE OF CONGRESS ON UNITED STATES POLICY TOWARD IRAN.

It is the sense of Congress that it should be the policy of the United
States to support regime change for the Islamic Republic of Iran
and to promote the transition to a democratic government to
replace that regime..."

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:S.2681.IS:
Iran Freedom and Support Act of 2004 (Introduced in Senate)

--Jerry Leslie
Note: is invalid for email
Old November 8th 04, 08:11 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
The ability to read and write doesn't "help a person to make an
intelligent decision"?

No, of course it doesn't. Plenty of illiterate people around the world make
perfectly reasonable decisions every day.

That is, quite possibly, the single most absurd conclusion I've *ever*
read on Usenet.

Not even close.

Congratulations!

Your praise is unwarranted.

Old November 8th 04, 04:57 PM
Corky Scott

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 10:19:34 -0800, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

People may be more literate today, but frankly I don't see how they are
significantly better educated. Most people view school as a chore to get
through (and thus retain very little of whatever they "learn"), and our
educational system doesn't really teach very much in the way of useful
critical thinking skills anyway.

What courses in school would teach critical thinking skills?

Corky Scott

Old November 8th 04, 05:51 PM
Cecil Chapman

Oh yes Jay! and THEN what about North Korea and THEN...... geez, where
does it stop? Better get the mothers in the U.S. to crank out a LOT more
babies, 'cause we're going to be needing soldiers for awhile....

While Iran is the last that I'd want to have Nuclear weapons, still,,, in
terms of an objective evaluation of fairness, let me get this right..... WE
are entitled to having nuclear weapons as a deterrent to attack,,,, but
certain OTHERS can't have them for the same reason? For the reason of;
"Because the U.S. , said so?" Even though the U.S. is the only one to have
EVER used nuclear weapons in a war?

While I'm NO friend of Iran (although the U.S. used to be friends with them,
until the leader of the time, made the mistake of not doing what we told him
to do), don't you think,,, if you were in THEIR shoes and watching a major
power blast your neighbors into the sand that YOU might be thinking of
having one of those nuclear deterrent 'thingies' too?

While I'd rather not see more nukes around the world, I've never understood
how we could argue how only we and a choice few others were allowed to have
them.

Don't others (countries) have the 'right to bear arms' (even if those arms
'glow')?

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL-IA
Student - CP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Old November 8th 04, 10:51 PM
Peter Duniho

"Corky Scott" wrote in message
What courses in school would teach critical thinking skills?

Any course can. That's one of the beautiful things about critical
thinking...it's relatively independent of the subject in question.

But when schools simply teach you that you have to memorize facts, but don't
need to know how to put facts together to create new knowledge and insights,
there's no real education going on. Unfortunately, that appears to be the
norm in education of all levels.

Old November 9th 04, 03:21 AM
Richard Hertz

"Cecil Chapman" wrote in message
m...
Oh yes Jay! and THEN what about North Korea and THEN...... geez, where
does it stop? Better get the mothers in the U.S. to crank out a LOT more
babies, 'cause we're going to be needing soldiers for awhile....

The countries we have been discussing (and the one you mentioned) is not
exactly one that has shown good judgement. To take your example of N
Korea... if you really need lessons on the political nature of the
communists in Korea, China, Cuba, then you are beyond all reason.

While Iran is the last that I'd want to have Nuclear weapons,

Ah, a rational thought has come forth from your keyboard, finally.

still,,, in terms of an objective evaluation of fairness, let me get this
right..... WE are entitled to having nuclear weapons as a deterrent to
attack,,,, but certain OTHERS can't have them for the same reason?

Since you brought up objective evaluation of fairness let's do so. The
country you mention has attacked others. Clearly not a good thing. We do
not have faith in the leaderships ability to restrain itself from using
nuclear weapons as offensive weapons.

For the reason of; "Because the U.S. , said so?" Even though the U.S. is
the only one to have EVER used nuclear weapons in a war?

Yes, in a war. We were attacked first. We used them to save lives. Far
more people died in the Dresden firebombing than from the nuclear bombs we
dropped. If you are really that ignorant of history and why we chose to
shorten the war and save Japanese and American lives you are truly in your
own little world.

While I'm NO friend of Iran (although the U.S. used to be friends with
them, until the leader of the time, made the mistake of not doing what we
told him to do),

Um, I think it was due to some hostages, and other such nonsense. France
does not do what we tell them and we do not attack them. It takes a lot of
naughty things to happen to be on our dirty list. Do you really think of
all the countries below that the US is the bad guy? Come on, be real.

(N Korea, Libya, Iran Iraq, Cuba, China, etc)

don't you think,,, if you were in THEIR shoes and watching a major power
blast your neighbors into the sand that YOU might be thinking of having one
of those nuclear deterrent 'thingies' too?

Given the brainwashing and religious fanaticism and equating the "west" with
eveil, sure, they want one. However, they would most likely choose to use
them as offensive weapons. The US did not start this war.

While I'd rather not see more nukes around the world, I've never
understood how we could argue how only we and a choice few others were
allowed to have them.

Don't others (countries) have the 'right to bear arms' (even if those arms
'glow')?

It is in ouor interest to protect ourselves from the bad guys. If we
thought that they would use it only as a deterrent than you would be
correct. It is doubtful that that is the reason though. Countries have a
right to defend themselves. They do not have the right to attack another.

It is mind boggling though that a country would not want to become a
defeated nation of the US. It seems to have worked out well for others in
the past.

=-----