Hillsboro Air Show

Old November 17th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,or.politics,alt.culture.oregon
Joetheone

Default Hillsboro Air Show

"gatt" wrote in message

"Don Homuth" wrote in message

It was a remarkable aircraft without question. Though to be honest, the
sound of a RR Merlin 12 roaring by still is The sound of a WW2
warbird to me.

The P-51, Spitfire and Hurricane all shared that venerable sound.

Indeed. I'm more of an R-1820 Cyclone fan, myself, but I'd really like to
hear an original Daimler-Benz in a bf109 someday. The one at Evergreen is
considered to priceless to fly (/insure) at this point.

I just plain Love to hear it.

Unfortunately, the general public has a decreasing appreciation for the

old
warbirds. Sad thing. There's a Thunderbolt at Tillamook now, though.

-c

Ever check this out?
http://www.warhawkairmuseum.org/index.htm

It's just west of Boise. Pretty cool, and usually a genuine vet hanging
around the place to tell stories.
Nampa airport is right off the freeway. You could follow the freeway all the
way if you wanted to zip over for a day.

Old November 17th 06, 07:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,or.politics,alt.culture.oregon
Peter Duniho

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
Don Homuth wrote:

[personality conflict deleted]

Ah, the joys of inappropriate cross-posting.

Thanks "gatt". Please don't do that again.

Old November 17th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,or.politics,alt.culture.oregon
Don Homuth

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 01:48:28 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

Don Homuth wrote:

Sometimes when you get on your Moral High Horse, you're more
entertaining than usual, Dosser.

And I'm right.

As you so oftimes declare yourself to be.

You just don't give a **** about people.

People come and people go.

The aircraft is a loss to History.

I doubt you'd have had any
objections to firing into a crowd if ordered.

What's the crowd doing? What is the threat assessment?
Old November 17th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,or.politics,alt.culture.oregon
Lobby Dosser

wrote:

Don Homuth wrote:

Sometimes when you get on your Moral High Horse, you're more
entertaining than usual, Dosser.

And I'm right.

As you so oftimes declare yourself to be.

I am right. You care more about a collection of scrap metal.

You just don't give a **** about people.

People come and people go.

The aircraft is a loss to History.

I doubt you'd have had any
objections to firing into a crowd if ordered.

What's the crowd doing? What is the threat assessment?

Nothing that you know, but your superiors say it's OK.
Old November 17th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,or.politics,alt.culture.oregon
Don Homuth

wrote:

Don Homuth wrote:

Sometimes when you get on your Moral High Horse, you're more
entertaining than usual, Dosser.

And I'm right.

As you so oftimes declare yourself to be.

I am right. You care more about a collection of scrap metal.

Nope. I cared about the plane, when it was still intact. The scrap
metal is just now so much junk.

I doubt you'd have had any
objections to firing into a crowd if ordered.

What's the crowd doing? What is the threat assessment?

Nothing that you know, but your superiors say it's OK.

Hardly the case. If I'm firing at a crowd that, for example, coming
to lynch you and your family, I'm at the shooting end of the firearms
involved. I'd just plain Have to know what the crowd is up to, yes?

You, otoh, would make the Fine Moral Distinction, preformed, that
since shooting into a crowd is Always morally objectionable, letting
the crowd lynch you and your family would be Just Fine with you.

See how that works?

Circumstances differ, and the ways in which they differ alter the
decisions to be taken. Firing into a crowd is Not always morally
objectionable. Nor, under some circumstances, would even such a
Morally Upstanding person as your own glorious self find it so.
Old November 17th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,or.politics,alt.culture.oregon
Lobby Dosser

wrote:

Don Homuth wrote:

Sometimes when you get on your Moral High Horse, you're more
entertaining than usual, Dosser.

And I'm right.

As you so oftimes declare yourself to be.

I am right. You care more about a collection of scrap metal.

Nope. I cared about the plane, when it was still intact. The scrap
metal is just now so much junk.

It was a collection of scrap metal before it crashed.

[...]

DID YOU OR DIDN'T YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RIGHT AND WRONG?

Old November 17th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,or.politics,alt.culture.oregon
Don Homuth

wrote:

I am right. You care more about a collection of scrap metal.

Nope. I cared about the plane, when it was still intact. The scrap
metal is just now so much junk.

It was a collection of scrap metal before it crashed.

Strange -- it appeared to be a fully funtional Hawker Hunter.

DID YOU OR DIDN'T YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RIGHT AND WRONG?

Would it be right to fire into a crowd coming to lynch you and your
family?
Old November 17th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,or.politics,alt.culture.oregon
gatt

"Joetheone" wrote in message
nk.net...

Ever check this out?
http://www.warhawkairmuseum.org/index.htm

It's just west of Boise. Pretty cool, and usually a genuine vet hanging
around the place to tell stories Nampa airport is right off the freeway.
You could follow the freeway all the
way if you wanted to zip over for a day.

Never heard of it, but I've bookmarked the site. Seems like there were a
lot more Warhaws at airshows and around ten or fifteen years ago than there
are now.

Any r.a.p. guys know how the planes at the USS Alabama museum have fared
Katrina cleanup? I saw a photo of what looked like the Mustang, Blackbird
et all piled up together like toys in the corner of the building after the
stormsurge, which was altogether heartstopping.
-c

Old November 17th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,or.politics,alt.culture.oregon
gatt

"hal lillywhite" wrote in message
ps.com...

Well, they went inside and talked with the owner who assured them,
"Except for a few parts made in my own machine shop, everything on that
car is standard Rolls-Royce parts." As the story goes, the engine was
a Merlin, indeed made by RR.

*reverent pause*

I think I may have read something similar once. Here's one, but apparently
the don't know whether it was a Merlin or a Metor.
http://www.superjohn.f9.co.uk/thebeast.htm

Old November 17th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,or.politics,alt.culture.oregon
gatt

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

The Hawker Hunter is a lovely aircraft, is it not? That one won't be
replaced any time soon, certainly.

Yep. And your Very First Thought was for the aircraft.

What's more important to the average American? The Declaration of
Independence or the guard standing near it protecting it with his life?

The crash of a rare or unique plane diminishes aviation's physical history.
If the Spirit of St. Louis fell off its cables and crushed a tourist
standing under it, America would not remember the name of the tourist, but
they would remember that the Spirit of St. Louis had fallen from the
ceiling.

I don't saying so slights the value of the victims lives at all. There's
nothing the pilot could have done to save himself but not fly that day.

-c