A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Low energy (full stall) landings: are they safe?

Old September 10th 18, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Snyder
external usenet poster

Default Low energy (full stall) landings: are they safe?

Please forgive me for replying to a long-dead thread, but there is a lot of good information in this conversation and I'm looking to improve my landings in my new-to-me DG-200.

I'm only on my 4th flight, but the last two landings have had very noticible bounces as I attempted to do a wheel landing. I modified my landing style after my first flight where I landed tail first and was surprised by how much it thumped the main.

I've been landing with full flaps and my airbrakes about half open since the DG POH recommends not increasing brake position low to the ground as you may "fall". The bounces have only been 1-2', but I'd like to avoid any bouncing if possible as it really livens up the rollout. The conditions have been very benign with almost no wind, so I'd like to work this out before fall arrives (with more wind).

FWIW, I'm a power pilot and tend to get almost but not quite stall horn landings in Cessnas.

My takeaway so far from the thread is:
1. My bounce is caused by aft-CG causing increased AoA during my wheel landing
2. Probably should be holding off longer, going for a 2-point landing and maybe slowly increasing my airbrakes while in flair to reduce float/rollout.

Thanks for any advice,
Chris Snyder (RW)
Merlin Soaring Association
Old September 10th 18, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 10:43:11 AM UTC-4, Chris Snyder wrote:
Please forgive me for replying to a long-dead thread, but there is a lot of good information in this conversation and I'm looking to improve my landings in my new-to-me DG-200.

I'm only on my 4th flight, but the last two landings have had very noticible bounces as I attempted to do a wheel landing. I modified my landing style after my first flight where I landed tail first and was surprised by how much it thumped the main.

I've been landing with full flaps and my airbrakes about half open since the DG POH recommends not increasing brake position low to the ground as you may "fall". The bounces have only been 1-2', but I'd like to avoid any bouncing if possible as it really livens up the rollout. The conditions have been very benign with almost no wind, so I'd like to work this out before fall arrives (with more wind).

FWIW, I'm a power pilot and tend to get almost but not quite stall horn landings in Cessnas.

2. Probably should be holding off longer, going for a 2-point landing and maybe slowly increasing my airbrakes while in flair to reduce float/rollout.

Old September 10th 18, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 10:43:11 AM UTC-4, Chris Snyder wrote: