KX155 KX 155A Anybody know the difference?

Old August 31st 04, 03:15 PM
Mike Rapoport

The display is blank and I can't hear anything on the radio either.

Mike
MU-2

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message
In article . net,
Mike Rapoport wrote:
The KX155 in my "new" airplane (Helio Courier) seems to have bitten the
dust.

In what way? Your cheapest option is probably to get it repaired.
The displays in particular seem to have a much shorter lifespan than
the rest of the radio. After that it's probably the harness or the
antenna/connection.

Never buy today what you can put off buying until tommorow. ;-)

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Old August 31st 04, 05:37 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Mike Rapoport wrote:
: The KX155 in my "new" airplane (Helio Courier) seems to have bitten the
: dust. It looks like an old POS and I am trying to figure out what to do.
: What are the functional differences between the KX155, KX165 and the KX155A
: and KX165A? The airplane has a Garmin 300XL as #1 and a switching relay to
: allow the 300XL or the KX155 to drive the HSI. I am trying to decide what
: to do.

An additional point: ALL the 'A' suffix units are 28V only. The others may be
either 14V or 28V, depending on the model number.

These radios are available for not too much $$$ used.

As an aside, I think your radio trouble is in the aircraft wiring or the
radio's internal fuse.
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)

Old September 1st 04, 12:56 AM
Mike Rapoport

"Aaron Coolidge" wrote in message
Mike Rapoport wrote:
[...]

Thanks! Do you know the value of the fuse?

Mike
MU-2

Old September 1st 04, 02:11 AM
Tom Cummings

I found this on Eastern Avionics website: page
http://www.avionix.com/navcoms.html
You have to read about the 155 and 165 to determine what the 155A has!
The KX-155A has a VOR/Localizer converter board and digital radial feature
on the Nav side. It also has 32 programmable COM channels, remote channel
increment capability, stuck mike alert and shutdown, bearing TO and radial
FROM modes, internal VOR/LOC CDI Display elapsed timer, and full
backlighting of knobs and buttons..

Hope this helps.
Tom

Old September 1st 04, 06:17 PM
Allen

ink.net...

Mike Rapoport wrote:
[...]

I agree with Aaron, sounds like wiring problems. When you key the mike to
transmit it takes a lot more power. May be a bad ground? Is the Helio 28V
and the radios 14V (converter going bad)?

Allen

Old September 1st 04, 07:15 PM
Mike Rapoport

om...

Mike Rapoport wrote:
[...]

It worked normally until one day when it totally failed, no display, no
radio, nothing. It could be outside the radio but I can't think of anything
that coincides with the failure. It is a 14V airplane with a 28V 155. I am
planning of getting a 14V radio and getting rid of the voltage converter. I
will probably get a 165 so that I can get rid of the VOR converter too.

Mike
MU-2

Old September 1st 04, 09:53 PM
Nathan Young

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 18:15:56 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:
It worked normally until one day when it totally failed, no display, no
radio, nothing. It could be outside the radio but I can't think of anything
that coincides with the failure. It is a 14V airplane with a 28V 155. I am
planning of getting a 14V radio and getting rid of the voltage converter. I
will probably get a 165 so that I can get rid of the VOR converter too.

What OBS are you driving? If it's a 208/209 they have the VOR/LOC
converter integrated, so you don't need the 165.
Old September 1st 04, 10:17 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Mike Rapoport wrote:

: As an aside, I think your radio trouble is in the aircraft wiring or the
: radio's internal fuse.
: --
: Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)
:
: Thanks! Do you know the value of the fuse?

There are 2 fuses, one for the display high voltage and one for the rest.
Their values are printed on them. You need to take the radio out & take the
cover off to get at them. I think they're under the top cover. Remember which
holes the screws come out of, they're several different lengths.
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)

Old September 2nd 04, 01:20 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Mike Rapoport wrote:
It worked normally until one day when it totally failed, no display, no
radio, nothing. It could be outside the radio but I can't think of anything
that coincides with the failure. It is a 14V airplane with a 28V 155.

Did you test the voltage converter?

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old September 2nd 04, 01:26 AM
Mike Rapoport

It is a 206 indicator so it needs a converter to work with a 155 or a 165
without a converter.

I've pretty much decided to go with the following

GMA340 Audio panel (integrated intercom allows getting rid of PS engineering
intercom/CD unit)
GNS 530 (gets rid of MD 441 switch/annunciator box and I am intimately
familiar with it (big plus IMO))
SL30 (can drive existing indicator w/o converter and allows getting rid of
14/28 voltage converter)
Retain existing KT76A transponder

The 530 will drive the HSI and the SL30 will drive the 206 indicator with no
switching between the two. The whole setup is .8" shorter, weighs 2lb less
and has about half the wires connecting everything. It provides a large
color screen with weather and terrain capability and WAAS upgradability.

Mike
MU-2

wrote:
It worked normally until one day when it totally failed, no display, no
radio, nothing. It could be outside the radio but I can't think of

anything
that coincides with the failure. It is a 14V airplane with a 28V 155. I

am
planning of getting a 14V radio and getting rid of the voltage converter.

will probably get a 165 so that I can get rid of the VOR converter too.

What OBS are you driving? If it's a 208/209 they have the VOR/LOC
converter integrated, so you don't need the 165.

weight difference Lou Parker Home Built 7 October 27th 04 02:42 AM
The main difference between Europe and USA noname Military Aviation 0 May 31st 04 03:23 AM
Difference in a Lycoming 65 vs. Contenintal 65 JR Home Built 1 November 29th 03 03:20 PM
KX155 Pinouts Richard Kelly Owning 1 September 3rd 03 04:24 PM
Mode S Transponders - Can ATC tell the difference? Doodybutch Owning 2 August 10th 03 06:21 AM