A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Bill Gawthrop(F8)

Old September 5th 18, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Bill Gawthrop(F8)

"Bill Gawthrop (F8) died August 23rd at his home in Northern California.. Bill was an avid student, a generous teacher and a gracious competitor. Bill began his love affair with fight, flying hang gliders in Colorado where he established several still-used soaring sites. Bill took up gliding in 2001 and he was quickly addicted. He won seven regionals, an open class national and went to the worlds in Benalla, Australia in 2017. He also holds several speed records, the most recent in 2016, a 1000 km speed record out of Ely, Nevada. He was happiest when he was gliding long distances over unfamiliar territory.
Bill loved the soaring community. After a long flight or a well-fought race he enjoyed sharing the stories of the day across the dinner table. Bill will be greatly missed by his wife Diane and his fellow glider pilots."

A memorial service for Bill is being planned for sometime late October or early November and details will be posted when finalized.
Old September 5th 18, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak
external usenet poster

Very sad news, a true gentleman

Old September 5th 18, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

So sad to hear this, Leigh. Bill was a wonderful guy. Loved everything about this place we all call home. Heartfelt condolences to Diane, his family, and all his close friends.

Steve Leonard

Old September 5th 18, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Sad to hear, we enjoyed their company when he and Diane came out to Australia to fly the Benalla pre-worlds in our ASW28.
He was a true gentleman, he will be missed.
Tom
Old September 5th 18, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford
external usenet poster

Sorry to hear of Bill's passing. I always enjoyed racing against Bill, he was a true competitor. My condolences to Diane.

Old September 5th 18, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Very Sorry to hear this sad news. Enjoyed a wonderful dinner with
Bill at the Seniors one night talk about Australia.

Indeed a gentleman. Condolences to his wife, family and close friends

AE
Old September 5th 18, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 9:22:52 AM UTC-4, wrote:
"Bill Gawthrop (F8) died August 23rd at his home in Northern California. Bill was an avid student, a generous teacher and a gracious competitor. Bill began his love affair with fight, flying hang gliders in Colorado where he established several still-used soaring sites. Bill took up gliding in 2001 and he was quickly addicted. He won seven regionals, an open class national and went to the worlds in Benalla, Australia in 2017. He also holds several speed records, the most recent in 2016, a 1000 km speed record out of Ely, Nevada. He was happiest when he was gliding long distances over unfamiliar territory.
Bill loved the soaring community. After a long flight or a well-fought race he enjoyed sharing the stories of the day across the dinner table. Bill will be greatly missed by his wife Diane and his fellow glider pilots."

A memorial service for Bill is being planned for sometime late October or early November and details will be posted when finalized.

Bill was a great pilot. Once I flew with him for 40 miles into dead air with hope of making it to the other side. We ended up on the sunny side at 1,500 feet. I chose to land and Bill kept going. He then found the only thermal around and finished the task very well. Bill was very focused and competitive while at the same time true gentleman on the ground.

You will be missed my friend, way too soon! Condolences to Diane.

Old September 5th 18, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

I know the name, can't say I met him.
Condolences to his family and friends.
May he find thermals from now on.
Old September 5th 18, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]
external usenet poster

I've shared many happy flights, hangar conversations and dinners with Bill and Diane. I most recall a day at Montague when I was hopelessly low with limited landout possibilities, trying to make a weak thermal work. Bill rolled in below me like it was no problem at all. Up we went.

Up you go, my friend. It's been a pleasure to share the sky with a gentle soul and fierce competitor.

Condolences to all who cared about him.

Andy Blackburn
9B

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 8:22:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
"Bill Gawthrop (F8) died August 23rd at his home in Northern California. Bill was an avid student, a generous teacher and a gracious competitor. Bill began his love affair with fight, flying hang gliders in Colorado where he established several still-used soaring sites. Bill took up gliding in 2001 and he was quickly addicted. He won seven regionals, an open class national and went to the worlds in Benalla, Australia in 2017. He also holds several speed records, the most recent in 2016, a 1000 km speed record out of Ely, Nevada. He was happiest when he was gliding long distances over unfamiliar territory.

Old September 6th 18, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 6:22:52 AM UTC-7, wrote:
"Bill Gawthrop (F8) died August 23rd at his home in Northern California.

Met him at Return To Kitty Hawk. Nice guy.

5Z