Bill Gawthrop(F8)

Old September 5th 18, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Bill Gawthrop(F8)

"Bill Gawthrop (F8) died August 23rd at his home in Northern California.. Bill was an avid student, a generous teacher and a gracious competitor. Bill began his love affair with fight, flying hang gliders in Colorado where he established several still-used soaring sites. Bill took up gliding in 2001 and he was quickly addicted. He won seven regionals, an open class national and went to the worlds in Benalla, Australia in 2017. He also holds several speed records, the most recent in 2016, a 1000 km speed record out of Ely, Nevada. He was happiest when he was gliding long distances over unfamiliar territory.
Bill loved the soaring community. After a long flight or a well-fought race he enjoyed sharing the stories of the day across the dinner table. Bill will be greatly missed by his wife Diane and his fellow glider pilots."

A memorial service for Bill is being planned for sometime late October or early November and details will be posted when finalized.
Old September 5th 18, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

Very sad news, a true gentleman

Old September 5th 18, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

So sad to hear this, Leigh. Bill was a wonderful guy. Loved everything about this place we all call home. Heartfelt condolences to Diane, his family, and all his close friends.

Steve Leonard

Old September 5th 18, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sad to hear, we enjoyed their company when he and Diane came out to Australia to fly the Benalla pre-worlds in our ASW28.
He was a true gentleman, he will be missed.
Tom
Old September 5th 18, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Sorry to hear of Bill's passing. I always enjoyed racing against Bill, he was a true competitor. My condolences to Diane.

Old September 5th 18, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Very Sorry to hear this sad news. Enjoyed a wonderful dinner with
Bill at the Seniors one night talk about Australia.

Indeed a gentleman. Condolences to his wife, family and close friends

AE
Old September 5th 18, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 9:22:52 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Bill was a great pilot. Once I flew with him for 40 miles into dead air with hope of making it to the other side. We ended up on the sunny side at 1,500 feet. I chose to land and Bill kept going. He then found the only thermal around and finished the task very well. Bill was very focused and competitive while at the same time true gentleman on the ground.

You will be missed my friend, way too soon! Condolences to Diane.

Old September 5th 18, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I know the name, can't say I met him.
Condolences to his family and friends.
May he find thermals from now on.
Old September 5th 18, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

I've shared many happy flights, hangar conversations and dinners with Bill and Diane. I most recall a day at Montague when I was hopelessly low with limited landout possibilities, trying to make a weak thermal work. Bill rolled in below me like it was no problem at all. Up we went.

Up you go, my friend. It's been a pleasure to share the sky with a gentle soul and fierce competitor.

Condolences to all who cared about him.

Andy Blackburn
9B

Old September 6th 18, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 6:22:52 AM UTC-7, wrote:
"Bill Gawthrop (F8) died August 23rd at his home in Northern California.

Met him at Return To Kitty Hawk. Nice guy.

5Z

Bill Gawthrop "F8" Accident - Sun 07/13/2014 - His Status WaltWX[_2_] Soaring 56 August 4th 14 10:35 PM
Bill Dean Luke Roberts Soaring 2 July 20th 07 07:58 AM
Aviation Bill Marc Piloting 12 December 28th 03 03:31 PM
OT -- Kill Bill Jay Honeck Piloting 35 October 18th 03 01:24 PM