Simple Green Pirep

Old May 18th 05, 04:31 AM
JJS

Default Simple Green Pirep

Every once in awhile someone asks about our favorite aerospace vehicle
cleaners and/or waxes. A few weeks ago I was in Texas at a NASCAR
race. One of the trailers out in front was manned by Simple Green
reps. I dragged my daughter away from the Earnhardt Jr. trailer long
enough to see if they were handing out free samples of cleaner. They
were, and even had the requisite pretty young lady doing her best
Vanna White routine. Unfortunately, the miniature sample bottles were
of the "regular" Simple Green and I was interested in the new aviation
grade stuff. Never one to give up easily on the possibility of a free
hand out, I weaseled my way to the front of the pack and asked the
wanta-be Ms. Vanna if she had any "Aviation grade Simple Green."
After she rolled her eyes and looked at me like I was from who knows
where, she said, "No and I don't know what you are talking about", and
then quickly regained her composure and went to handing out more
regular bottles. I shrugged to my daughter and began to turn away
like a puppy with his tail between his legs when I saw a case of the
"Extreme Simple Green Aircraft and Precision Formula" stacked right
behind Vanna with a full sized 32 oz. bottle perched on top out in
full display splendor. I pointed and I said that's what I'm looking
for. She turned and had a blank look on her face. She didn't even
know the stuff existed. Anyway, another rep standing beside us said
they didn't have any free samples of the new stuff. But, then he
asked if I was an aircraft mechanic. I told him no... I own an
airplane. He asked me what kind and I said Piper Cherokee. He handed
me the full new bottle and said go ahead and try it. Wow, success! I
brought my trophy prize home to try out on my bird and was sorely
disappointed. It didn't remove bugs off the leading edge worth a
darn. I tried it on a greasy spot and it worked great, though. I
tried it under the belly and to make a long story short, I spent the
next 15 minutes on my back with a rag, and 8437R's tummy never shined
so bright since her last new paint job years ago. It really works
great on belly grease and grime and fuel stains. It took me perhaps
1/5th of the bottle to do 37R's belly. I'll buy more when I've used
it up because it made the nasty job really go quickly. Aircraft
Spruce has it for $10. It meets Boeing spec D6-1748P.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/09-00809.php
--
Joe Schneider
8437R

Old May 18th 05, 01:59 PM
Peter R.

Joe wrote:

It really works great on belly grease and grime and fuel stains.

Joe, thanks for the interesting story and the PIREP on the product.
:-)

--
Peter

Old May 18th 05, 02:15 PM
Jay Honeck

Spruce has it for $10. It meets Boeing spec D6-1748P.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/09-00809.php

Thanks for the PIREP, Joe.

Now all I've got to do is find a local supplier, and I'll be set!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 18th 05, 03:11 PM
John Clonts

I agree that it does a great job removing grease, oil, and gas stains.
On my plane though, it also seems to be removing a bit of the paint (I
have brown trim and wiping it with E.S.G. with a white rag ends up with
some brown on the rag).

I REALLY miss the overall cleaning and waxing properties of Lemon
Pledge Trigger! Everything else I've tried seems to be "watery", in
contrast to the Pledge "lotion-y".

I'll probably just fall back to using plain water ....

--
Cheers,
John Clonts

Old May 18th 05, 06:09 PM
JJS

"John Clonts" wrote in message
ups.com...
I agree that it does a great job removing grease, oil, and gas
stains.
On my plane though, it also seems to be removing a bit of the paint
(I
have brown trim and wiping it with E.S.G. with a white rag ends up
with
some brown on the rag).

I REALLY miss the overall cleaning and waxing properties of Lemon
Pledge Trigger! Everything else I've tried seems to be "watery", in
contrast to the Pledge "lotion-y".

I'll probably just fall back to using plain water ....

--
Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Damn! Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep my eye on this. Anybody
else had the same problem? BTW, what's E.S.G.?

Old May 18th 05, 06:16 PM
Mark Hansen

On 5/18/2005 10:09, JJS wrote:

[...]

Extreme Simple Green?

Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Student
Sacramento, CA
Old May 18th 05, 06:56 PM
Mike Rapoport

"JJS" jschneider@remove socks cebridge.net wrote in message
[...]

I bought five gallons from www.quartzaviation.com for about $81 including
shipping. A nice feature of Simple Green Extreme is that it doesn't seem to
remove wax (or it leaves something else that beads up water).

Mike
MU-2

Old May 18th 05, 06:57 PM
Mike Rapoport

"John Clonts" wrote in message
ups.com...
I agree that it does a great job removing grease, oil, and gas stains.
On my plane though, it also seems to be removing a bit of the paint (I
have brown trim and wiping it with E.S.G. with a white rag ends up with
some brown on the rag).

I REALLY miss the overall cleaning and waxing properties of Lemon
Pledge Trigger! Everything else I've tried seems to be "watery", in
contrast to the Pledge "lotion-y".

I'll probably just fall back to using plain water ....

--
Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

I assume that your paint is oxidized? It sure doesn't remove my paint!

Mike
MU-2

Old May 18th 05, 07:18 PM
Darrel Toepfer

John Clonts wrote:

I agree that it does a great job removing grease, oil, and gas stains.
On my plane though, it also seems to be removing a bit of the paint (I
have brown trim and wiping it with E.S.G. with a white rag ends up with
some brown on the rag).

I REALLY miss the overall cleaning and waxing properties of Lemon
Pledge Trigger! Everything else I've tried seems to be "watery", in
contrast to the Pledge "lotion-y".

We use the ORANGE trigger and it seems to work well with the leading
edges. I'm gonna try just plain water for comparison though...

I'll probably just fall back to using plain water ....

This morning I brought along WD-40 and ORANGE GREASED LIGHTNING and
regular GREASED LIGHTNING ($3 for 40oz trigger spray, says aluminum safe
on the bottle) along with the BLUE SHOP TOWELS from WallyWorld. I never
got past the regular GL as it dissolved the belly mess and dripped it
off. Simply wiping with a dry towel removed all the gunk with very
little effort. A bit over half-bottle and roll of towels did the entire
bottom half (everything below the plexi) of a C172 that had been washed
the day before but the belly left for another day. I've shopped around
the stores for E.S.G. with no luck, I won't waste anymore time looking
for it in the future. I'm very satisfied with GL and it would be a
bargain at triple the price...

It did remove oxidized paint, but didn't take off anything that wasn't
already peeling or missing...
Old May 18th 05, 07:24 PM
John Clonts

Mike Rapoport wrote:
I assume that your paint is oxidized? It sure doesn't remove my

paint!

Not visibly so-- it's still quite shiny, especially the brown part.
But it IS a 1979 model, and AFAIK original paint. So it could be...

What dilution do you use for routine cleaning?

John