Leaning Procedure for a Carbureted 182

Old June 26th 05, 02:42 AM
Juan Jimenez

TBO Advisor recommends the peak EGT method of leaning for the O-470 series
(except O-470-U), but it also warns that "In some engines, such as the
O-470-R, it may not be possible to operate smoothly at peak EGT (when EGT is
measured from a single probe that averages one bank of cylinders), since
mixture maldistribution can cause lean misfire to appear in the leanest
cylinders before peak EGT for the engine-as-a-whole has been reached." It
also says that running at peak EGT also means that detonation protection is
at its lowest.

What does your POH say? Continental does not recommend leaning to peak EGT
at settings above 65% power for normally-aspirated engines.

"Jeffrey" wrote in message
. com...
Greeting to all;

I own a 1964 Cessna 182 with a Continental O-470-R25 engine. This is
equipped with an E.I. 6 pt EGT gauge. Typical cruise power setting is 20"
manifold pressure 2300 RPM. I seem to have a plug fouling issue.

Can someone please give me the proper leaning procedure for both cruise
flight and ground operations (taxing)?

I'd really appreciate some experienced input. Thanks in advance!

Jeffrey

Old June 26th 05, 08:07 AM
tony roberts

In article ,
"Jeffrey" wrote:

What's your technique Scott?

Leeeaaaaannnn - on the ground until it almost quits,
and in the air - be aggressive - a cht/egt monitor helps! I recommend
ECI.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

"Scott Skylane" wrote in message
RST Engineering wrote:

Then you will have plug fouling issues with the O-470 for the rest of
your airplane's life.

Bulls**t. I've put almost 500 exclusively 100LL hours on my O-470R with
nary a single plug fouled.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
N92054

Old June 26th 05, 08:19 AM
Dale

In article ,
Scott Skylane wrote:

RST Engineering wrote:

Then you will have plug fouling issues with the O-470 for the rest of your
airplane's life.

Bulls**t. I've put almost 500 exclusively 100LL hours on my O-470R with
nary a single plug fouled.

Same here....around 800 hours and no fouling problems.

Usually leaned on the ground. Leaned at cruise regardless of altitude.
Had an EI engine scanner/monitor with 6 leads EGT/CHT.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old June 26th 05, 08:52 AM
Scott Skylane

Jeffrey wrote:

What's your technique Scott?

Well it's a very detailed, scientifically validated protocol, and I'll
attempt to outline the specifics he

For ground operation, I'll pull the mixture out, oh, about an inch and a
half or so, give or take.

Full rich for takeoff and climb, up to about 5000 ft or so (home base is
at sea level). Lean it a little for climbs above 5000 ft.

For cruise, pull the mixture out, oh, about an inch and a half or so,
give or take depending on altitude (pull out more at higher alt).

I have no engine monitor, so I used to pull the mix untill power loss,
then enrich slightly for cruise, but it always ended up in the same
place, so see above.

Thats it, as far as leaning goes. I cruise at 23 square, get about 150
mph on 12 gph.

I try to keep manifold pressure as high as possible. After takeoff, I
leave the throttle full, and pull back RPM to 2450. For power reduction
approaching the traffic pattern, I pull the RPM's down with the MP, down
to 2000 RPM and about 18" for pattern entry. My theory is, higher
combustion chamber pressures should help scavenge the lead better. This
theory is based on nothing but my gut.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
N92054

Old June 26th 05, 08:32 PM
Thomas Borchert

Jeffrey,

Well I didn't think it was too low a power setting. What do you prefer to
use?

75 percent as long as it's available, all that's there when not. And yes, it
could be too low a power setting influencing the scavenging process through
lower temps and pressures. But the main culprit is likely not enough leaning
on the ground.

As for Deakin's articles, I've not read them, thanks for the tip on that!
But which one should I start on?

There's a trio in succesion dealing with Mixture, Prop and Manifold
Pressure, IIRC. The latter is easy to recognize by its title, which is
"Manifold Pressure Sucks" (get it? - if not, you will after reading).
There's a general one dealing with engine management older than those. These
are the foundation. But basically, you'll be ok if you read all of them in
chronological order. It's a lot to read, but well worth it.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 26th 05, 08:33 PM
Thomas Borchert

Juan,

It
also says that running at peak EGT also means that detonation protection is
at its lowest.

Which is probably not so.

Some people have had good results with a little addition of carb heat to even
out the mixture distribution across cylinders, it seems.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 28th 05, 02:17 AM
tony roberts

Hi Scott

Are you at Arlington this year?

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
N92054

Old June 28th 05, 06:47 AM
Doug

At power settings above 65% you need to be concerned about running too
lean, thus too hot. With monitoring all 6 cylinders it should be
possible to run 50 to 100 rich of peak at these high power settings.
You will have to lean until you hit peak, then richen. Use this EGT as
a guide. I would use 100 degrees rich of peak on power settings above
75%. This is on your hottest cylinder.

At power settings below 65%, you do not need to worry about running too
lean, so just lean until it runs rough and richen slightly. Note the
EGT on the hottest cylinder and use this EGT all the time.

Most of us pilots lean to a specific EGT. I use 1350, but I only have
one probe on one cylinder. The exact temperature varies with probe
installation. On my carb Lycoming 360, 1350 is all the way lean at 50%
power and maybe 100 degrees rich of peak at 75% power and 50 degrees
rich at 65% power. I have an engine that is well over TBO and still
going strong using this technique. One thing you can do is lean all the
way to roughness while at full throttle at 10,000' then richen till
smooth. Note the EGT and use this as a target setting at all power
settings. This will give you rich of peak at higher power settings and
all the way lean at 50% power.

You will read articles about running lean of peak, but most of this
only applies to engines with fuel injection and GAMI injectors. They
run these engines lean of peak at high power settings to help cooling
and fuel economy. It usually wont work with carbureted engines as you
will have uneven air and fuel distribution.

Lean on the ground for taxi as much as possible. Lean for takeoff at
airports above 3000'. Don't go full rich on landing unless landing at
airports below 3000'. Leaning for takeoff involves doing a runup and
leaning until you get an rpm drop, then richen 3 half turns on the
mixture knob. This works well. For landing, just lean to the takeoff
setting judging on how far out the mixture knob was set on takeoff.
This is all for airports above 3000'.

Hope that helps.

Old June 28th 05, 08:42 AM
Thomas Borchert

Doug,

At power settings above 65% you need to be concerned about running too
lean, thus too hot.

Uhm, no, not at all. He'd have to be concerned to run not lean enough,
actually, since the temps decrease again when running leaner and leaner.
The point is: You have to worry to run at the right point in relation to
peak.

With monitoring all 6 cylinders it should be
possible to run 50 to 100 rich of peak at these high power settings.

50 rich is about the worst point to run at.

Most of us pilots lean to a specific EGT.

Well, I sure don't. I don't know ANY other pilot (apart from you) who
does. Those numbers are completely irrelevant. The relation to peak is
key.

I have an engine that is well over TBO and still
going strong using this technique.

I can't see any curvature of the earth from the ground, so it must be
flat. Or, in other words: What proof do you have of a correlation?

Lean on the ground for taxi as much as possible. Lean for takeoff at
airports above 3000'.

Density altutide, not actual altitude, I'd like to add. VERY important!

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 28th 05, 06:10 PM

Jeffrey wrote:
: I own a 1964 Cessna 182 with a Continental O-470-R25 engine. This is
: equipped with an E.I. 6 pt EGT gauge. Typical cruise power setting is 20"
: manifold pressure 2300 RPM. I seem to have a plug fouling issue.

: Can someone please give me the proper leaning procedure for both cruise
: flight and ground operations (taxing)?

I can't comment directly on the O-470 Cont in the 182 (My Cherokee has an O-360 180hp Lyc). I've read through as much
leaning info as I could get my hands on, and the Deakin articles on Avweb as others have suggested are the best around.
Bottom line:

- You cannot hurt the engine by *ANY* leaning below 65-75% power (depending on brand).
- You must run much richer than 50 ROP if above 75% At least 100 or more, or you very well may damage the engine.
- You will foul plugs if too rich for too long and/or not hot enough.
- CHT is what really determines if you have to run really rich or can run lean... as long 65-75% or less. If you're running
at 65% and you lean as far as you can (roughness) but your CHT's go above 400 (spark-plug type), you'd better not run there
for too long. Too hard on the jugs.

I would hazzard to say that if you're running 100LL in the 182, there is probably a huge detonation margin since the
octane rating is much more than necessary. You probably couldn't even *get* it to detonate at sea level full power if you
tried... not that'd I'd try it. If possible, run mogas in it for a cleaner, happier engine... unless you live where you can't
get alcohol-free gasoline. If you live there, move.

My personal procedures (which will be attacked by many as crazy) are as follows:
- Lean aggressively on the ground. Although it's difficult to get the mixture right since it changes when you throttle-jockey
for taxi, you want to run it so lean it's impossible to runup without stumbling. You can't hurt it on the ground, and you
can't forget to go full rich for takeoff. If you just lean it a little on the ground because you're worried about too lean,
you could takeoff with it leaned out that "safe inch or so"... which *ISN'T* safe for takeoff.
- Lean in a long climb to whatever EGT was at full-rich, low-altitude takeoff. On mine, peak EGT is 1550 or so, and full-rich
takeoff on a standard day is about 1400. I'll continuously pull the mixture in a long climb to hold 1400 degrees. If I get
high enough so full throttle is less than 70%, I'll lean to peak even in a climb so long as the CHT's don't go over 400.
- In cruise at 70% or less, lean as far as it will go and leave it there. Monitor CHT's and make sure it never gets over 400.

All my CHT temps are referenced to spark-plug probes. They read 50-75 degrees hotter than the cylinder barrel probes
(I've got one of those too and have verified it). If using those types, 350 would be my max comfortable, continuous cruise
CHT.

I've been running 93 A.K.I mogas in my 180 hp for about 250 hours now. Always clean plugs, very little combustion
chamber buildup, never fouled, etc, etc.

Flame on!
-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *