Replacement for a Cobra Tongue

Old May 20th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Replacement for a Cobra Tongue

Hi everyone,

Upon my return home from Cordele I was shocked when I saw that the
tongue of the trailer had almost completely cracked off. Luckily I
noticed the crack while I was hooking up the trailer to tow the glider
from home to the airfield. The crack is just ahead of the hand brake
mechanism. I know other people have experienced simillar problems,
are there any other options apart from ordering replacement parts from
Europe?

Luke
Old May 20th 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I know other people have experienced simillar problems,
are there any other options apart from ordering replacement parts from
Europe?

Luke

Maybe. I know Rex at Williams Soaring Center 530 473-5600 stocks lots of
stuff for Cobra trailers.

bumper
Minden
zz
QV and MKII

Old May 20th 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Why did the tongue crack and why there? I don't wish to start the
great tongue debate again, but its my firm belief that the hand brake
hits when entering or exiting gas stations and that leaves the weight
of the tow vehicle pulling down on the toungue. What type tow vehicle
do you have, motor-homes with long overhangs are particularly
susceptible.
JJ

Old May 20th 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
Hi everyone,

Upon my return home from Cordele I was shocked when I saw that the
tongue of the trailer had almost completely cracked off. Luckily I
noticed the crack while I was hooking up the trailer to tow the glider
from home to the airfield. The crack is just ahead of the hand brake
mechanism. I know other people have experienced simillar problems,
are there any other options apart from ordering replacement parts from
Europe?

Luke

I drive a 2000 Honda Accord, a 4 door sedan. The only explanation
that makes sense to me is what you describe, the bottom of hand brake
mount bottoming out and creating stress on the tongue just ahead of
the weld for the hard point.
Old May 20th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

wrote:
Hi everyone,
Upon my return home from Cordele I was shocked when I saw that the
tongue of the trailer had almost completely cracked off. Luckily I
noticed the crack while I was hooking up the trailer to tow the glider
from home to the airfield. The crack is just ahead of the hand brake
mechanism. I know other people have experienced simillar problems,
are there any other options apart from ordering replacement parts from
Europe?
Luke

I drive a 2000 Honda Accord, a 4 door sedan. The only explanation
that makes sense to me is what you describe, the bottom of hand brake
mount bottoming out and creating stress on the tongue just ahead of
the weld for the hard point.

I'm afraid JJ's wish won't come true!

Why do you and JJ think a crack is started by compressive forces? If the
problem is the tow vehicle pulling down on the tongue, shouldn't we
expect the crack to be on top?

The placement of the crack at a weld suggests fatigue cracking caused by
upward forces on the tongue. How many miles does the trailer have behind
the Honda? How many miles behind what other types of vehicles?

If the Honda is theonly vehicle used to tow it, and the trailer has less
than, say, 40,000 miles, I'd suspect a defective tongue. Perhaps the
weld was improperly done. In any case, start out by contacting the
trailer manufacturer for an explanation and a recommended cure. You
might even be offered a replacement at a very good price, as some
manufacturers really stand behind their products.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes"
http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old May 20th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
[...]

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org

Hi Eric, I am in contact with the manufacturer, they replied promptly
to my initial inquiry and so far I have no complaints. I am not
pointing the finger at anyone I am simply trying to explore all
options. This is a used trailer that has traveled many thousands of
miles (i don't have the exact details) so some wear and tear is to be
expected.

Best Regards

Luke

Old May 20th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

I drive a 2000 Honda Accord, a 4 door sedan. The only explanation
that makes sense to me is what you describe, the bottom of hand brake
mount bottoming out and creating stress on the tongue just ahead of
the weld for the hard point.

In attempts to keep the tail of the trailer from dragging in every
service station, etc, some use a tow hitch which is too low. This
causes dragging of the tongue, which can do more damage.
Agnes Spindelberger is shipping a "lift kit" to me for a 1994
trailer. It will mount between the axle and the body of the trailer to
lift the lot 50mm / 2". I will then use a 2" higher trailer hitch, and
the whole trailer will have greater ground clearance.
Having owned another (1985) Cobra with a lift kit I found rigging
from the raised trailer, still connected to the car, is not a problem.
In that case the lift kit was a 2" square steel tube between axle and
trailer body.
The suggestion is NOT trying to resolve the problem of dragging the
trailer's tail by lowering the nose.
Jim
Old May 20th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cliff Hilty[_3_]

In the mean time try (i know that it is not always possible) to enter
crevaces and depressions into gas stations or other areas by going at them
in a 45 degree angle or or lower from perpendicular, This will allow only
one tire at a time from lowering the tongue or trailer or tail and prevent
most scraping. I realize that most motor homes are very long and makes this
a challenging feat. I have taught my crew to give up the .02 cents per
gallon (after all whats 1.20 on 60 gallons) to go to a gas station with
alittle more room for manuvering.

CH