Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

Old May 14th 20, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

Attached are 3 photo-frames from the video and part of the video that has been magnified and edited. My observations only, I'm not a forensic investigator. First frame shows glider on left, towplane on right with the glider "below" the tug. Tug's landing gear and tail position are evident with vertical stabilizer below wing surface. Note the glider's tail appears even with its wing. Second frame: glider tail now dips "below" its wing and the pitch-up is evidenced by showing more top wing surface; glider is "above" tug. Vert stab of tug now higher/level with its wing. Tug's undercarriage seen. Third frame: Glider appears higher above tug; glider's tail now more horizontal with respect to wing. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/snhkjkit2...Wdun8aY2a?dl=0

Last document is from NTSB final report of 2017 fatal towplane accident. One photo clearly shows the Pawnee's elevator in extreme up deflection.
https://dms.ntsb.gov/public/62000-62...018/622033.pdf
Old May 14th 20, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Attached are 3 photo-frames from the video and part of the video that has been magnified and edited. My observations only, I'm not a forensic investigator. First frame shows glider on left, towplane on right with the glider "below" the tug. Tug's landing gear and tail position are evident with vertical stabilizer below wing surface. Note the glider's tail appears even with its wing. Second frame: glider tail now dips "below" its wing and the pitch-up is evidenced by showing more top wing surface; glider is "above" tug. Vert stab of tug now higher/level with its wing. Tug's undercarriage seen. Third frame: Glider appears higher above tug; glider's tail now more horizontal with respect to wing. [Note video has been slowed by 50%] https://www..dropbox.com/sh/snhkjkit...Wdun8aY2a?dl=0

Old May 14th 20, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Attached are 3 frames from the video and part of the video that has been magnified and edited. My observations only, I'm not a forensic investigator. First frame shows glider on left, towplane on right with the glider "below" the tug. Tug's landing gear and tail position are evident with vertical stabilizer below wing surface. Note the glider's tail appears even with its wing. Second frame: glider tail now dips "below" its wing and the pitch-up is evidenced by showing more top wing surface; glider is "above" tug. Vert stab of tug now higher/level with its wing. Tug's undercarriage seen. Third frame: Glider appears higher above tug; glider's tail now more horizontal with respect to wing. [Note video has been slowed by 50%] https://www.dropbox.com/sh/snhkjkit2...Wdun8aY2a?dl=0

Old May 14th 20, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Attached are 3 photo-frames from the video and part of the video that has been magnified and edited. My observations only, I'm not a forensic investigator. First frame shows glider on left, towplane on right with the glider "below" the tug. Tug's landing gear and tail position are evident with vertical stabilizer below wing surface. Note the glider's tail appears even with its wing. Second frame: glider tail now dips "below" its wing and the pitch-up is evidenced by showing more top wing surface; glider is "above" tug. Vert stab of tug now higher/level with its wing. Tug's undercarriage seen. Third frame: Glider appears higher above tug; glider's tail now more horizontal with respect to wing. [Note video has been slowed by 50%] https://www..dropbox.com/sh/snhkjkit...Wdun8aY2a?dl=0 Last document is from NTSB final report of 2017 fatal towplane accident. One photo clearly shows the Pawnee's elevator in extreme up deflection.
https://dms.ntsb.gov/public/62000-62...018/622033.pdf
Old May 14th 20, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Attached are 3 frames from the video and part of the video that has been magnified and edited. My observations only, I'm not a forensic investigator. First frame shows glider on left, towplane on right with the glider "below" the tug. Tug's landing gear and tail position are evident with vertical stabilizer below wing surface. Note the glider's tail appears even with its wing. Second frame: glider tail now dips "below" its wing and the pitch-up is evidenced by showing more top wing surface; glider is "above" tug. Vert stab of tug now higher/level with its wing. Tug's undercarriage seen. Third frame: Glider appears higher above tug; glider's tail now more horizontal with respect to wing. [Note video has been slowed by 50%] https://www.dropbox.com/sh/snhkjkit2...Wdun8aY2a?dl=0

Last document is from NTSB final report of 2017 fatal towplane accident. One photo clearly shows the Pawnee's elevator in extreme up deflection while the glider is high above it.
https://dms.ntsb.gov/public/62000-62...018/622033.pdf
Old May 15th 20, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 10:57:01 AM UTC-4, Paul Agnew wrote:
Very sad to read this tragic news this morning.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2020/0...fatal.html?m=1

Comments (anonymous) on the webpage indicate kiting may have been a significant factor.

Sincere condolences to the family of the tow pilot and to the members of the club.

Paul Agnew
Jupiter, FL

suggestion for instructors;
after the latch item, teach a positive (push up) canopy check.
On subsequent flights, add some distraction for the student.
If they fail to latch and check, then wait till the launch starts
and push the canopy open, ( and release )
This is more likely to register in the student's memory.
I used to do this and they hated me for it; instructing is not always
a popularity contest.

John F
Old May 15th 20, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dirk_PW[_2_]

So this confirms for me what I do on every flight is a good course of action (even though it has been a very controversial subject on this site)... That is, I hold the release handle during tow. No, I don't latch my fingers around it and grip it like I'm coming out of a bull riding chute on an angry bull. I do however, have physical contact with it through the first 1000 ft of tow. I grip it with my index finger and middle finger (mimicking a pair of scissors wanting to cut the handle). There is no way to accidentally release in turbulence, but more importantly there is no searching for the handle if I need to get off. The other side benefit is that it prevents me from dealing with stupid distractions in the cockpit since one hand is on the stick, the other is touching the release.

Ok, let the negative reactions begin... (I've got my popcorn and beer).
Old May 15th 20, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Thu, 14 May 2020 18:09:15 -0700, Dirk_PW wrote:

[...]

I agree. That's what I was taught (for both winch and aero-tow) and
that's what I do. I like your reasoning too - fingers on the release
means yo have to make a concious decision to let go it it before you grab
anything else. I was also taught the 'lock and push up' canopy closing
routine from my first training flight, alongside the BGS's standard pre-
launch checklist.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old May 15th 20, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 15 May 2020 13:21:19 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

[...]

s/BGS/BGA/

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old May 15th 20, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Ya Know JJ Thats a interesting idea
Another major problem, I think, is when the glider starts really kiting like in this Byron accident, is that it puts quite a pull on the rope and radically slows the tug down, And typically the tug is already at a pretty slow speed.
This kiting situation is a major can of worms.
It can and does get out of control so quickly, as that Video clearly shows.
Nick