ASK-21 wing weight

Old April 21st 15, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

Default ASK-21 wing weight

I am building a model of the WingRigger for the ASK-21, and in order to select the proper gas spring to support the wing, I need to know the weight of the wing panel. Anybody know offhand what the number is? I know there will be variations from glider to glider, but a general number will do. And, no, I do not have access to the POH or other W&B info. Thanks.
Old April 21st 15, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piet Barber

On Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 10:32:18 AM UTC-4, Mark628CA wrote:
I am building a model of the WingRigger for the ASK-21, and in order to select the proper gas spring to support the wing, I need to know the weight of the wing panel. Anybody know offhand what the number is? I know there will be variations from glider to glider, but a general number will do. And, no, I do not have access to the POH or other W&B info. Thanks.

I believe our ASK-21 has weights of 205 and 207 pounds for each wing, or somewhere around there.
Old April 22nd 15, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

=
of the wing panel. Anybody know offhand what the number is? I know there
wi=
ll be variations from glider to glider, but a general number will do.

And,
=
no, I do not have access to the POH or other W&B info. Thanks.

I believe our ASK-21 has weights of 205 and 207 pounds for each wing, or
so=
mewhere around there.

Jep. Just weighed one last weekend. 100 kg a wing excluding battery.

Old April 22nd 15, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

Thanks to all. 200-225 sounds right. I wasn't aware there was a provision in the wing for a battery. Eric, could you explain?
Old April 22nd 15, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

On 04/22/2015 8:56 AM, Mark628CA wrote:
Thanks to all. 200-225 sounds right. I wasn't aware there was a provision in the wing for a battery. Eric, could you explain?

The battery box for standard 9AH led acid batteries is located in the
left wing root baggage compartment.

Luke
Old April 23rd 15, 12:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

Indeed. Probably done in order to increase allowable max cockpit load, as
battery in wing falls under lifting parts, reducing actual weight of
non-lifting parts.

Old April 23rd 15, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 5:15:04 AM UTC-6, Eric Munk wrote:
Indeed. Probably done in order to increase allowable max cockpit load, as
battery in wing falls under lifting parts, reducing actual weight of
non-lifting parts.

At 14:49 22 April 2015, Luke Szczepaniak wrote:
On 04/22/2015 8:56 AM, Mark628CA wrote:
Thanks to all. 200-225 sounds right. I wasn't aware there was a

provision
in the wing for a battery. Eric, could you explain?

The battery box for standard 9AH led acid batteries is located in the
left wing root baggage compartment.

Luke

Doubt that. The wing root is just a handy place to put the battery. There's plenty of room in the other root for an O2 bottle.
Old April 23rd 15, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 8:48:24 AM UTC-5, Bill D wrote:

Doubt that. The wing root is just a handy place to put the battery. There's plenty of room in the other root for an O2 bottle.

And as Jim Payne said while flying a 21 with AF Academy Cadets in strong conditions, "Enough room to hide an extra Cadet per side as well."

Old April 23rd 15, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

Doubt that. The wing root is just a handy place to put the battery.
There's plenty of room in the other root for an O2 bottle.

Doubt all you like ;-)

Max weight non-lifting parts is limiting on all of our 3x ASK-21s re max
pilot weight, not MAUW. I for one am happy for the extra 2 kg or so that we
can take officially. And yes, the extra space is great! Handbook says you
can take 10 kg of luggage in each wing too, which also is not of any
influence on cockpit load usually (or at least mostly isn't). Bit tight for
an extra cadet I would say, but it should see you through long flights with
plenty of bread & water on those long flights...

Old April 23rd 15, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 2:45:05 PM UTC-5, Eric Munk wrote:
but it should see you through long flights with
plenty of bread & water on those long flights...

Ah, but Eric, as soon as it comes out of the wing root for consumption by the pilot or RSO... :-)

Weight or wing loading? Jim Lewis[_2_] Soaring 3 February 18th 15 10:11 AM
PW-5 wing weight? macquistan Soaring 1 March 19th 14 11:41 AM
Fiberglass cloth weight vs 'finished' weight Fred the Red Shirt Home Built 12 April 5th 08 04:24 PM
Glider Weight/Wing Loading and determing speed for best L/D for a given weight 65E Soaring 3 January 26th 06 09:26 PM
wing weight of HP 14 John Firth Soaring 2 August 31st 03 05:50 PM