Most numerous sailplane type and model in the world?

Old February 7th 11, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default Most numerous sailplane type and model in the world?

On Feb 6, 3:36*pm, CJN wrote:
On Feb 6, 2:17*pm, bildan wrote:

A new 1970 2-33 sold for about $22,000 which, in current dollars would
cost about $125,000. *In comparison, a new ASK-21 is a bargain.

Actually, that doesn't sound quite right. *A friend of mine purchased
a new 1-26 in 1972 or 1973 and I believe he paid around $9000 or so.
So the $22K for the 2-33 sounds high. *This is all from memory, no
hard data.

My partner and I purchased an almost new LS-1f (50 hrs TT) in 1978 for
$17K, so that also puts in question the stated price for the 2-33.
Any data for the $22K number for the 2-33?

I wrote out the invoice.
Old February 7th 11, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Feb 7, 9:30*am, Markus Graeber wrote:
Production of the L-23 Super Blanik, the succesor of the L-13 Blanik,
was suspended in 2007. The base price new I have for 2006 was about
USD 50,000. By comparison the ASK-21 base price new in 2008 was about
EUR 68,000. The current base price for a new PW-6U is about EUR
54,000, for the SZD-54-2 Perkoz, successor of the SZD-50-3 Puchaz, the
base price new was about EUR 66,000 in 2008. The base price for a new
fixed gear 18m DG-1000 Club was about EUR 77,000 in 2008.

To turn that around, and assuming the USD and EUR were about the same
in 2006 (where can you find historical data?), if for some reason you
had EUR 1,156,000 to spend you could get:

15 DG-1000 Club
17 ASK-21 or Perkoz
21 PW-6
23 Blanik L23

It's notable that only one glider in that list has an L/D over 40 and
flies like a modern single seater.

Actually, it's the only one over 35 too! Even the late 1970's Twin
Astir was at least high 30's.

Old February 7th 11, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc

On Feb 6, 7:23*pm, bildan wrote:
I wrote out the invoice.

Looking in early 1970 issues of soaring, one finds a few ads for used
2-33As, a typical one:

SCHWEIZER 2-33A, standard instruments and one vario.
1968 model, less than 250 hours. Firm price $4950.

I haven't found a single used one selling for over $6000, and they
only started making them in '67. How about this ad:

SCHWEIZER 2-32, trailer, oxygen, BEI omni, BEI 990 radio,
J-8 horizon, airspeed, altimeter, turn & bank, Winter vario,
Cook T.E. vario &audio, electric T&B, Cook compass,
accelerometer, clock, temperature gauge, exide battery, and
other extras making N2450W the most sophisticated
in the country. Less than 40 hrs time, in perfect condition.
Cost $16,000; will sell for $11,950 or best offer.

And, finally, quoting from the 2-33 introductory article in the
February '67 Soaring:

Price for the standard ATC'd sailplane is $5,250 F.O.B. Elmira,
New York.

That would have been something like 66% inflation per annum. Sounds
like you got ripped off...

Marc

Old February 7th 11, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

Bruce, " . . . assuming the USD and EUR were about the same
in 2006 (where can you find historical data?) . . ."

Do a search. For example:

http://www.oanda.com/currency/historical-rates

"fxHistory is the easiest tool to access the largest foreign exchange
database on the Internet. To obtain the historical exchange rate for
any currency pair, select the language, the range of dates and the
currencies you would like to obtain exchange rates for."

Chris N
Old February 7th 11, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

At 16:19 06 February 2011, Tim wrote:
Look at F1 Motor Racing, it exists, but is just the "tip of the spear"
for auto racing - the best, the most technolgical, the msot expensive,
etc. There is a place for the best, and I can't wait to see the
Concordia fly and race.

BUT, most auto racing is done in various entry level classes that are
alive because they have continually adapted to changing values and
needs within auto racing. The soaring "powers that be" need to start
thinking and acting "strategically" when considering how to preserve,
let alone GROW our sport of glider racing.

Probably the most popular and fastest growing class of club sports car
racing is the Spec Miata class, which is just about what it sounds like.
The cars are readily available, cheap, a blast to drive, and the allowed
modifications for racing are minimal.

The most popular one-class glider racing must still be the 1-26
Association, and their annual Championship competitions. These days the
World Class holds their US naitonal along with the 1-26s, and it's really
sort of embarrassing. The 1-26s field 20 to 30 racers, and the PW-5s have
about half a dozen.

Jim Beckman

Old February 7th 11, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Prices as published in 'America's Soaring Book' 74-75. No two seat
glass gliders listed(I don't know what existed then) I have no idea
about the street prices of these gliders back in the day, just copying
over printed info.
1-26 E $5,495
2-33 $6,995
Standard Cirrus $7,400
1-34 $7,795 RT $8,390
L-13 $8,950
ASW-15B $9,300
Standard Libelle $9,350
Nimbus II $12,350
ASW 17 $14,200
2-32 $14,995
ASK 16 (powered) $14,770
Caproni A-21J(jet powered) $31,995

Old February 8th 11, 07:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hagbard Celine

Well, unfortunately they're no longer building forty year old used
training gliders. Go look up what a new 2-33 cost from the 70's
through the 80's, adjust the price into 2011 dollars and then compare
it to what a new PW-6, ASK-21 etc. costs. They no longer seem so
expensive. The last time the L-23 was available new it really wasn't
particularly inexpensive either.
Old February 8th 11, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc

On Feb 7, 11:15*pm, Hagbard Celine wrote:
Well, unfortunately they're no longer building forty year old used
training gliders. Go look up what a new 2-33 cost from the 70's
through the 80's, adjust the price into 2011 dollars and then compare
it to what a new PW-6, ASK-21 etc. costs. They no longer seem so
expensive. The last time the L-23 was available new it really wasn't
particularly inexpensive either.

You are a late comer to this thread, obviously. The claim was made
that a new 2-33 cost $22,000 in 1970, which would be equivalent to
over $125,000 today, making a new K-21 a fantastic bargain. The only
problem is that the base price of a new 2-33 was actually roughly
$5500 in 1970, which would be under $32,000 today. Last I checked,
the base price of a new ASK-21 is 70,000 Euros, or $95,000, and it
would cost around $5,000 to stuff one in a container and ship it
here. A lot of people would indeed argue the ASK-21 is a bargain at
only three times the price, but given the current health of soaring in
the US, it should be obvious why people are still hanging on to their
40 year old training gliders...

Marc