Marine Corps or Navy

Old October 30th 03, 06:19 AM
Ogden Johnson III

vincent p. norris wrote:

Also, you'll have to talk to an officer to get the full story, but I do
believe USMC officers have 2 jobs at all times.

..... Few, if any, pilots in the USMC have flying as their sole duty

When I got my wings in 1951 and joined a squadron at Cherry Point, I
was promptly made the squadron's Navigation Officer and Intelligence
Officer.

It prolly won't ever, realistically, happen, but I'd welcome the
chance to go back with you, fifty-whatever years after your arrival at
NKT, and my twenty- ... ... ... eight years after arrival, and compare
notes on what it was then, then^2, and now, twenty-plus years after I
left there.

OJ III
[Who suggests that you were lucky that 1951 was *long* before Marine,
or any other service's, squadrons needed a Drug and Alcohol Abuse O,
or SNCO.]
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
Old October 30th 03, 05:24 PM
Joe Osman

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

"Mike M." wrote:

Here are the figures for a PFT:

[Skipped]

I forget the time frame but I believe their basic was 3 months just like
enlisted but the TBS was 8-9 months as opposed to our MCT (combat training
for non-infantry) was 3 weeks. So in total, your minimum basic training
will be almost a year. And that's before you go to your A-school to learn
the job you'll do. Dont know the numbers for Navy but I believe them to be
much, much shorter. So do you want to spend a year learning how to drill,
land navigation, water purification, squad tactics and fill out paperwork?
Or would you rather just get it over with and start working?

Enlisted training has varied over the past 50+ years in durations, if
not concepts - shorter during VN, longer before and after. Now it is,
sort of, back to pre-VN structure. 12-week training curriculum + a
"Zero week" of 3-7 days depending on time of year/training load at the
MCRDs for screening, shots, etc. Followed by a four-week "infantry"
training course for Marines of all MOSs [that "Every Marine is a
rifleman" thing - in the late-50s/early-60s it was called ITR] before
going on boot leave and then on to their "A" school MOS training. [The
03s {grunts} now have an "A" school of their own, the School of
Infantry. In my day, their post-ITR training was at the tender
mercies of their Company Gunny, Platoon Sgt, and Squad and Fire-Team
leaders.]

snip

In 1970 (8 week boot camp), it was still called ITR
(Infantry Training Regiment), but the O3XX's then went to
BITS (Basic Infantry Training School), then Staging (4
weeks?) then Nam. I don't remember if non-03XXs went through
Staging before Nam or not.

Joe

Old October 31st 03, 04:15 AM
vincent p. norris

It prolly won't ever, realistically, happen, but I'd welcome the
chance to go back with you...

Are you going to Kitty Hawk in December for the celebration of the
Wright Brothers' first powered flights?

I've been going every year and I'll be there again this year unless
the wx is below mins or there's severe icing between central PA and
NC.

I'll be at "The Man Will Never Fly Memorial Society" banquet in the
Comfort Inn at Nag's Head on Dec. 16, and at the various "happy hours"
after that--but mostly at the Naval Aviation group. I pay my respects
to the others-- the Daedalians, the Air Force, the First Flight
Society-- but they're nice and sedate (boring). The Naval Aviation
party is so much better even some of the Air Force guys end up there.

but I'd welcome the chance to go back with you, fifty-whatever years
after your arrival at NKT,

Damn near sixty years. I first arrived there in late summer, 1946,
fresh from Parris Island, and became a radio operator on an R5C-1 in
VMR 252.

I was astonished! No one stuck his nose right up against mine and
yelled at me! And they let me go in town on weekends!

I thought, "I might get to like this!"

and my twenty- ... ... ... eight years after arrival, and compare
notes on what it was then, then^2, and now,

I'd be delighted, if you're going to be there. I'll be staying at the
Comfort Inn South, Nag's Head, headquarters of the MWNFMS.

twenty-plus years after I left there.

I left for the last time in July, 1954.

OJ III
[Who suggests that you were lucky that 1951 was *long* before Marine,
or any other service's, squadrons needed a Drug and Alcohol Abuse O,
or SNCO.]

Right!

vince norris
Old October 31st 03, 05:31 AM
Ogden Johnson III

vincent p. norris wrote:

It prolly won't ever, realistically, happen, but I'd welcome the
chance to go back with you...

Are you going to Kitty Hawk in December for the celebration of the
Wright Brothers' first powered flights?

Sigh. Right when the Navy always wants every piece of assigned work
due by mid-Jan in early, so that they can virtually shut down, like
the rest of the gummint in DC, for XMas/New Years, and a two-week
recovery period. Still, I've saved your post and the idea, in case a
miracle occurs and I somehow get free.