Is Rafale dead?

Old December 14th 03, 08:39 PM
Jim Herring

Charles Talleyrand wrote:

P.S. Anti-French jokes stopped being funny after the first few hundred.

Just what made you think they were jokes?

--
Jim

carry on

Old December 14th 03, 09:51 PM
nemo

Your stuborness...

Old December 15th 03, 02:26 AM
Charles Talleyrand

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message .net...
Skysurfer wrote:
Charles Talleyrand wrote :

I understand that the order to Dassault is for 28 aircraft, with
an option of 20 more. However, I have read on the web that
Dassault is to deliver 1 Rafale this year, and only 4 next year.
I have also read that there are only 13 operational Rafales with
the French Military.

Well, it has announced plans to order this many. However, actual orders are
120 thus far, plus 76 fairly firm projected orders in the 2003-08 budget
plan, for a total of about 200. The additional 100 will come after 2008,
and are obviously rather speculative.

Yes, but the verty slow rate of delivery makes me wonder about the
program. They will have delivered 18 Rafales in the eight years between
1997 and 2005. That's only 2.25 aircraft per year.

Sure, they plan to ramp up production. But their original plans never said
18 aircraft in 8 years, so I have doubts about the current plans to. Can
anyone comment on this?

http://www.awgnet.com/shownews/03paris/topstor02.htm

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old December 15th 03, 08:08 AM
Mike

Those aditionnal 100 are not so speculative.

"Thomas Schoene" a écrit dans le message de
news: . ..
Skysurfer wrote:
Charles Talleyrand wrote :

I understand that the order to Dassault is for 28 aircraft, with
an option of 20 more. However, I have read on the web that
Dassault is to deliver 1 Rafale this year, and only 4 next year.
I have also read that there are only 13 operational Rafales with
the French Military.

I think the french govt has ordered about 300 Rafale.

Old December 15th 03, 08:12 AM
Mike

Is F.22 dead?If you're not american,no one cares...
Is "Dreamliner" (pfff!what a name!) dead?If you'are not american,no one
cares...
Is LCA dead?If you're not indian,no one cares....
Is Su.35 dead,if you're not russian,no one cares...

With such a logic,why not to make a newsgroup for each country,where one can
speak about planes from its own country,and only about those...

"J" a écrit dans le message de news:
. ..
If your not french, no one cares.

Old December 15th 03, 02:12 PM
Pechs1

mmaq- Is F.22 dead?If you're not american,no one cares BRBR

It's not quite dead, The JSF would not exist w/o it, which is a more probable
french CV A/C than the rafale...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old December 15th 03, 04:54 PM
pcg

Sure, they plan to ramp up production. But their original plans never

said
18 aircraft in 8 years, so I have doubts about the current plans to. Can
anyone comment on this?

Production line is ready to assemble about 10 aircrafts a year, but Dassault
respects the gov plan by staging costs (hence the higher costs per
aircraft... : a traditional french budget problem....) : it's only a defense
budget issue.

On this page you can see the deliveries calendar to the French Navy :
http://frenchnavy.free.fr/aircraft/rafale/rafale_fr.htm
("Calendrier des livraisons (1999-2012)")

Old December 15th 03, 08:34 PM
WaltBJ

IS the Rafale dead? Nobody answered the question.
BTW the US armed forces, with the exception of the Navy, didn't have
anything to fight with in 1941, let alone 1939. Look it up.
Walt BJ
Old December 15th 03, 11:34 PM
Bill Kambic

Most of the "wise cracks" about the U.S. position vis-a-vis the world in the
late '30s demonstrate a remarkable combination of arrogance and ignorance.

For most American opinion makers the experiences of U.S. participation in
WWI were less than satisfactory. The monumental ineptitude of French and
British commanders was memorialized in a series of post-War flicks (such as
"All Quiet on the Western Front"). The writing of men like Hemmingway had
stripped the glory from war. The general attitude was if the foolish
Europeans want to slaughter each other in vast numbers, God bless 'em.

It was clear to the U.S. administration that war in Europe was inevitable
and that U.S. interests would demand U.S. participation. Given the general
population's feelings, any governmental action (particularly during
Depression era times) had to be considered.

Actions there were. In fact, every major U.S. combat aircraft of WWII was
conceived and the prototypes at least on the drawing board by the end of
1940. That year also saw the passage of the first peacetime draft in U.S.
history, the Two Ocean Navy Act, and Lend-Lease. A very late start in the
deveopment of armored vehicles and doctrine was being addressed. The
foundations of the Arsenal of Democracy were being laid.

The Japanese ended American political divisions on "the war question."

Bill Kambic

If, by any act, error, or omission, I have, intentionally or
unintentionally, displayed any breedist, disciplinist, sexist, racist,
culturalist, nationalist, regionalist, localist, ageist, lookist, ableist,
sizeist, speciesist, intellectualist, socioeconomicist, ethnocentrist,
phallocentrist, heteropatriarchalist, or other violation of the rules of
political correctness, known or unknown, I am not sorry and I encourage you
to get over it.

om...

Old December 16th 03, 12:12 AM
Paul F Austin

"WaltBJ" wrote
IS the Rafale dead? Nobody answered the question.
BTW the US armed forces, with the exception of the Navy, didn't have
anything to fight with in 1941, let alone 1939. Look it up.

It's not dead but it is very ill, for lack of foreign military sales. France
alone can't manage Rafale procurement at a rate that would give them a
viable force in reasonable time, not when she is funding the A400M, a new
carrier, procurement of the fourth Triomphant.. All those things are also in
competition with social security funding as the French population ages.