gunpods on Phantoms

Old March 16th 04, 07:46 PM
John Carrier

But the most fuel weight (regardless of configuration) was 5.1 for an empty
tank 7, 5.8 with it full. No fun was night recovery with 2x2 ordnance and
1/2 flaps (util failure or in my case, a flap switch failure). 1.8 on the
ball for an actual weight pass with about 40 knots of wind.

R / John

"Pechs1" wrote in message
robvr- Almost makes sense, mainly because I never flew anything myself,

let
alone a Navy jet. Would 2 and 2 mean 2 Sparrow, 2 Sidewinder? What do
max trap values mean? BRBR

Max trap for the F-4 was 40,000 pounds. Empty F-4S weighed about 34k, F-4J

was
33000 or so. 2 and 2 weighed about 1500 lbs. Only 6000 to play with to get

40k. If ya added a 2000 lb gun pod(2000 or 1000??), then max trap fuel was
kinda low.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Old March 17th 04, 02:56 PM
Pechs1

John- But the most fuel weight (regardless of configuration) was 5.1 for an
empty
tank 7, 5.8 with it full. No fun was night recovery with 2x2 ordnance and
1/2 flaps (util failure or in my case, a flap switch failure). 1.8 on the
ball for an actual weight pass with about 40 knots of wind. BRBR

Yowser-with or w/o ail droop?
Blue water, I assume? If ya went around, into the barricade? Could they get
enough WOD for that(115kt max engaging speed(?)).

I saw a 1/2 flap, really damaged F-4 go thru the net like it wasn't there.
Exceeded the max engaging speed by a lot..BUT it slowed it down enough so the
jet wasn't flying. Both guys shelled out, neither made it. VF-102, USS
Independence, 1977 or so.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old March 17th 04, 07:51 PM
WaltBJ

The SUU23 gun pod was what we had at Homestead in the 307th and 68th
and at DaNang in the 390th - it held 1100 rounds of 20mm linkless ammo
(about 1.1 pounds per round). If it was regularly boresighted (simple,
using the borescope and the X on the nose gear door) it shot through
the pipper. The 8x10 mil pattern was only 8 feet by 10 feet at 1000
feet so if any MiG was under the pipper he was toast.
I never even got to see a MiG but onst I fired 300 rounds (having fun
- started shooting at 4000 feet slant range) in one pass at Avon Park
range and got 100 hits. It also killed a T54 for me. I'd call that
effective.
Walt BJ
Old March 18th 04, 12:56 AM
John Carrier

Yowser-with or w/o ail droop?
Blue water, I assume? If ya went around, into the barricade? Could they

get
enough WOD for that(115kt max engaging speed(?)).

Next to last East Coast F-4 cruise with 102/Independence ... 153xxx F-4J
with drooped ailerons. Somewhere in the Arabian sea, night. Dirtied up and
noticed the airspeed was around 165 or so vice the 143-5 that a normal
airplane would see at full flaps. Gauge indicated full, cycled them through
1/2 ... no change in speed or aircraft response. Cycled them up and back to
full ... still 165. Sooo. We told CATCC that we wanted a low pass and
speed check with SPN-42.'

They confirmed our speed. Cleaned up tanked a bit ... twice I think as the
galley slaves responded to the increased tempo drumbeat. About a 1/2 hour
later they were ready. Wanted us around 2.0 or thereabouts and ran the
weights. Flies a nice pass at 1/2 flaps, honored the stronger burble ...
but not much ... and grabbed the 1 on the fly.

A bingo wasn't totally out of the question, but Misira (sp?) wasn't a
desirable action (diplomatic issues back then) and D-Gar was a long LONG way
away.

R / John

Old March 18th 04, 02:36 PM
John S. Shinal

"John Carrier" wrote:

... and grabbed the 1 on the fly.

Is that a...ahem...unusually abrupt trap ?

Old March 18th 04, 06:47 PM
John Carrier

"John S. Shinal" wrote in message
"John Carrier" wrote:

... and grabbed the 1 on the fly.

Is that a...ahem...unusually abrupt trap ?

Implying that I just barely grabbed it (as opposed to being settled on the
main mounts prior to picking up the wire). Most (all?) aircraft touch down
tailhook first.

R / John

Old March 19th 04, 06:26 PM
Paul Michael Brown

... and grabbed the 1 on the fly.

Is that a...ahem...unusually abrupt trap ?

Implying that I just barely grabbed it (as opposed to being settled on the
main mounts prior to picking up the wire). Most (all?) aircraft touch down
tailhook first.

All I know is what I read in books, but I seem to recall that the opposite
of catching a one wire "on the fly" is a "taxi one wire," which suggests a
low and/or flat approach. But I'll defer to those who have BTDT.
Old March 22nd 04, 07:53 PM
Will Dossel

"Mike Kanze" wrote in message ...
John,

The USN may have had additional issues due to the gun getting banged about

during traps.

Not just traps. Aircraft handling - particularly on a crowded hangar deck -
is not conducive to the health and longevity of protruding "attachments."
The EA-6B folks - with jamming pods that cost (circa 1972) $1 million a
pop - learned early on that "sailors and pods don't mix."

.... or 'sailors and props' having on more than one instance had major
dings put in my props while the plane was buried on the hangar deck.
Severity of damage/inability to repair was directly proportional to
proximity of fly-off too...

Will Dossel
Last of the Steeljaws (VAW-122)
Old March 26th 04, 03:55 PM
John S. Shinal

"John Carrier" wrote:
Implying that I just barely grabbed it (as opposed to being settled on the
main mounts prior to picking up the wire). Most (all?) aircraft touch down
tailhook first.

Oh hell - sorry. I wasn't casting aspersions on your skill at
the ramp, I thought you were alluding to something I heard of as an
"airborne engagement". It's supposed to be a murderous thump. I don't
know quite enough about the geometry over the wire to make any other
conclusions.

I just didn't know what "caught it on the fly" meant.

Old March 26th 04, 09:38 PM
John Carrier

No offense taken.

John

"John Carrier" wrote:
Implying that I just barely grabbed it (as opposed to being settled on

the
main mounts prior to picking up the wire). Most (all?) aircraft touch

down
tailhook first.

Oh hell - sorry. I wasn't casting aspersions on your skill at
the ramp, I thought you were alluding to something I heard of as an
"airborne engagement". It's supposed to be a murderous thump. I don't
know quite enough about the geometry over the wire to make any other
conclusions.

I just didn't know what "caught it on the fly" meant.

News==----

Newsgroups

=---