US saved from anhilation

Old July 27th 12, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default US saved from anhilation

might be just a rumor, but I just read that a SC sailplane pilot was
arrested for flying to close to a nuclear reactor by
DHS..................seems they were rather upset and stripped his
sailplane of all instrumentation................no wonder I slept so
well last night, just think what might happen if some soaring jihadist
got too close to a noookleer reaktoar!

Brad
Old July 27th 12, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JP Stewart

On Friday, July 27, 2012 3:06:48 PM UTC-4, Brad wrote:
might be just a rumor, but I just read that a SC sailplane pilot was

arrested for flying to close to a nuclear reactor by

DHS..................seems they were rather upset and stripped his

sailplane of all instrumentation................no wonder I slept so

well last night, just think what might happen if some soaring jihadist

got too close to a noookleer reaktoar!

Brad

Closeish? http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...pen-in-us?lite

JP
Old July 28th 12, 01:56 AM
dbrunone dbrunone is offline
Member

I work at a smaller nuclear reactor site, and our club's airport is only ~10 miles away. There are no airspace restrictions over the reactors. Usually makes pretty good thermals, as you would expect haha
Old July 28th 12, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

On Friday, July 27, 2012 3:06:48 PM UTC-4, Brad wrote:
might be just a rumor, but I just read that a SC sailplane pilot was arrested for flying to close to a nuclear reactor by DHS..................seems they were rather upset and stripped his sailplane of all instrumentation.................no wonder I slept so well last night, just think what might happen if some soaring jihadist got too close to a noookleer reaktoar! Brad

Brad - care to share where you read this? I cannot find any press references.
Thanks,
Uli Neumann - a 'SC sailplane pilot'
Old July 28th 12, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

After 9/11, restrictions were put into place against aircraft "loitering" near sensitive locations, including nuclear power plants. The FAA later issued a clarification that loitering restrictions did not apply to gliders (including presumably sailplanes, hang-gliders and para gliders). I have successfully loitered over one of the largest nuclear plants in the USA without any problems. Loitering over the USA/Mexico border is another matter!

Mike
Old August 4th 12, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

On Friday, July 27, 2012 3:06:48 PM UTC-4, Brad wrote:
might be just a rumor, but I just read that a SC sailplane pilot was arrested for flying to close to a nuclear reactor by DHS..................seems they were rather upset and stripped his sailplane of all instrumentation.................no wonder I slept so well last night, just think what might happen if some soaring jihadist got too close to a noookleer reaktoar! Brad

Still can't find any references other than the French protestor who dropped a smoke bomb on a french reactor. So I guess it must have been a rumor. My faith in the system is (almost) restored and I will continue to pass over the reactors in SC ....
Uli (a SC glider pilot)