Transponders

Old January 21st 04, 02:45 PM
Mil80C

Default Transponders

A question to you fine soaring fraternity, what would your response be to
someone who suggested that it might be feasable to run a transponder in a
glider with a pedal generator?

--
BEER! So much more than just a breakfast drink!

Old January 21st 04, 03:59 PM
Vaughn Simon

"Mil80C" wrote in message
A question to you fine soaring fraternity, what would your response be to
someone who suggested that it might be feasable to run a transponder in a
glider with a pedal generator?

A raised eyebrow, a polite silence, a glance at my wris****ch, followed
by a graceful withdrawal.

Vaughn

--
BEER! So much more than just a breakfast drink!

Old January 21st 04, 06:21 PM
Ben Flewett

Are you on drugs? This is a bad idea for so, so many
reasons. Here are a few...

1. I don't want to pedal.
2. My feet are busy operating the rudder.
3. My cockpit is a constant state of crisis, which
allows no time for pedalling.
4. I sometimes fly in airspace for hours at a time.
I resent have to move the stick for hours at a time,
let alone having to pedal for hours at a time.
5. Weight.
6. Complexity.
7. I like a simple life.
8. I don't want a bearded sandal wearer installing
weird science contraptions in my glider.

Here's an idea. Why not use a battery?

Old January 22nd 04, 02:06 AM
Liam Finley

"Mil80C" wrote in message ...
A question to you fine soaring fraternity, what would your response be to
someone who suggested that it might be feasable to run a transponder in a
glider with a pedal generator?

That's a brilliant idea.

Here's an even better one: power the transponder with a little
hamster running in a wheel connected to a generator.

Why not equip the glider with a second hamster to power a boundary
layer suction device, or perhaps an external propeller?

Old January 22nd 04, 06:03 AM
BTIZ

Why not equip the glider with a second hamster to power a boundary
layer suction device, or perhaps an external propeller?

would it then be a glider?

I wonder how much drag a RAT would create.. power all the stuff on a Ram Air
Turbine generator...

LOL

BT

Old January 22nd 04, 06:32 AM
Jack

On 04/01/21 07:45, in article
, "Mil80C"
wrote:

A question to you fine soaring fraternity, what would your response be to
someone who suggested that it might be feasable to run a transponder in a
glider with a pedal generator?

I'd say he's noticed my rudder coordination efforts.

-------
Jack
-------

Old January 22nd 04, 06:35 AM
CH

and how long does the battery last?
with the transponder on?

Australia decided, that planes without a permanent source
of power on board, do not need transponders in mixed
airspace.

I would prefer, that IFR traffic out of airport airspace should
fly higher than the convection height from sunrise to sunset :-)
How's that??
Chris

Old January 22nd 04, 06:37 AM
Mark James Boyd

Hmmm...I wonder how big solar panels would need to be to generate
the needed power. The wings have a lot of area...

They make some very thin panels, but incorporating them into the
body might be quite tricky.

How about one on the dash, or right above the pilot's
bald spot? Could give some shade too!
Old January 22nd 04, 07:17 AM
Eric Greenwell

CH wrote:
and how long does the battery last?
with the transponder on?

A modern transponder like the Becker or Microaire draws about 600 ma
with an encoder. People report getting 5 and 6 hour flights on a 7
amphour battery, and still plenty of power left.

Australia decided, that planes without a permanent source
of power on board, do not need transponders in mixed
airspace.

I would prefer, that IFR traffic out of airport airspace should
fly higher than the convection height from sunrise to sunset :-)
How's that??
Chris

Aye, and that's the rub: they come down to the airport, don't they? And
the airport airspace doesn't go all the way up to 18000 here in the USA,
but only to about 10,000 or so. And the buggers don't drop down into the
top, but slide in from the side. Can you believe it?

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA