Gliding and migraines?

Old July 19th 11, 12:52 PM
K6Chris K6Chris is offline
Junior Member

Default Gliding and migraines?

Having suffered my first ever migraine last night and specifically the visual disturbance (aura) that came with it, I am keen to discover how gliders pilots who are prone to migraines cope? Although sufferers are allowed to drive and indeed fly, the advice for coping of 'pull over' seems less than helpful!

Any advice and experiences most welcome!

Chris
Old July 19th 11, 01:47 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K6Chris View Post
Having suffered my first ever migraine last night and specifically the visual disturbance (aura) that came with it, I am keen to discover how gliders pilots who are prone to migraines cope? Although sufferers are allowed to drive and indeed fly, the advice for coping of 'pull over' seems less than helpful!

Any advice and experiences most welcome!

Chris
Has this been confirmed by a competent medical practitioner? I am not a doctor nor have I played on one TV but I did play one with a cute blue eyed blond once but that's a story for another time. Since you said you experienced your first one last night I would question if you have had time to insure that this is what you actually experience.

Since you said you had the headache in association with the aura I might tend to agree with you but again this needs to be confirmed. That being said, there are many TRIGGERS to a migraine. Stress, certain foods, changes in sleep patterns and a plethora of other things can bring this on. Are you on any medication for BP such as a vasodilator?

I have seen how debilitating a migraine can be, not sure I would want to experience something like that while flying. There are a couple of fast acting medications for migraine available on the market, just not sure how convenient some of them might be to administer while strapped in.

Walt
Old July 20th 11, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
qflyer1

I had a migraine once - and only once - in 20 years of flying. It was
April, I was up to 9000' in wave in Tennessee. I don't know if it was
altitude / temperature fluctuations or what.
The headache came on, no vision issues, just pain, and I had to land
in 25knt x-wind. Broke the tail boom. Not fun. There was another more
suitable strip nearby, but I didn't take it.
Did it affect my judgement? Maybe. I just wanted to get down...

If migraines were a reoccurring issue, I would be concerned...
Flight-capable meds?

Cheers,
Tim

--
K6Chris

Old July 20th 11, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

On Jul 20, 9:24*am, qflyer1 wrote:
[...]

K6Chris- Hide quoted text -

Chris
Admiting that you suffer from migraines seems to disqualify you from
being president. To keep from limiting your possible career choices,
you might want to start using an alias online. On real hot days
taking a couple of Potassium tablets in the morning seems to cut down
on headaches in the air that afternoon. I Don't know if this will do
any thing for migraines. Using Oxygen might be another thing to
contemplate. I'm not a doctor and its been a long time since I stayed
at a Holiday Inn.

SF
Old July 21st 11, 08:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uri

My daughter started flying last year but developed frequent migraines
and and had to go on medications that aren't allowable, although the
dosages are much lower than for the medication's normal use. *Once
they are under control, we may start lessons again, but I won't allow
her to solo unless there is medical clearance.

Just in case your daughter's headaches turn out to be actually
"cluster headaches" and not migraines (those two maladies have
confused many a doctor): the most effective treatment for some (like
me) is 100% O2. And guess where I can hook up to it the fastest ...
convinced the local authorities' aviation doctor!

Uri
Old July 21st 11, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uri

On Jul 21, 5:36*pm, chipsoars wrote:
On Jul 21, 3:46*am, Uri wrote:

My daughter started flying last year but developed frequent migraines
and and had to go on medications that aren't allowable, although the
dosages are much lower than for the medication's normal use. *Once
they are under control, we may start lessons again, but I won't allow
her to solo unless there is medical clearance.

Just in case your daughter's headaches turn out to be actually
"cluster headaches" and not migraines (those two maladies have
confused many a doctor): the most effective treatment for some (like
me) is 100% O2. And guess where I can hook up to it the fastest ...
convinced the local authorities' aviation doctor!

Uri

We have her under treatment at Thomas Jefferson Medical Center's
Headache clinic. *The approach seems to be helping, but it is early.

Probably folks who know their business :-)
I don't wish anybody (friend or foe) the agony of cluster
headaches....in comparison, a migraine is a good thing :-(
Yes, the common wisdom has cluster headaches as the most painful
possible - way more than bearing a child...as reported by women who
had both.
Old July 22nd 11, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Jul 22, 2:50*am, Uri wrote:
I don't wish anybody (friend or foe) the agony of cluster
headaches....in comparison, a migraine is a good thing :-(
Yes, the common wisdom has cluster headaches as the most painful
possible - way more than bearing a child...as reported by women who
had both.

Pretty hard to compare experiences.

I've had people tell me that dislocated shoulders and kidney stones
are the worst, and certainly worse than childbirth.

I've had both the former but don't have the equipment for the latter.
And I fortunately don't get headaches that are even remotely
comparable.
Old July 22nd 11, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Meade

The FAA takes a dim view of migraines. I'd be cautious about self-
diagnosing anything that the FAA doesn't like.
Old July 22nd 11, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Freeman

On Jul 22, 8:16*am, Jim Meade wrote:
The FAA takes a dim view of migraines. *I'd be cautious about self-
diagnosing anything that the FAA doesn't like.

I believe that in power planes migraines are a disqualifying
condition. Maybe someone with more knowledge can confirm that.
Old July 23rd 11, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

"Steve Freeman" wrote in message

On Jul 22, 8:16 am, Jim Meade wrote:
The FAA takes a dim view of migraines. I'd be cautious about self-
diagnosing anything that the FAA doesn't like.

I believe that in power planes migraines are a disqualifying
condition. Maybe someone with more knowledge can confirm that.
They are indeed.

-- Jim in NC

Gliding in the US Rob Shepherd Soaring 3 October 7th 10 03:03 AM
Gliding in the US Rob Shepherd Soaring 1 October 6th 10 08:25 PM
Gliding NSW . AU Mal Aviation Photos 0 December 13th 06 11:50 AM
Gliding in 8 days FA JaneyP Soaring 0 January 20th 06 12:45 AM
Turkish gliding tango4 Soaring 3 December 10th 04 08:59 PM