Airports/Airspace

Old March 16th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Airports/Airspace

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message

Sorry about the typo, FDC Flight Data Center issues IFR Notams,

What's an IFR NOTAM?

Old March 16th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jose,

bi·an·nu·al (bi-an'yu-?l)
adj.
1.. Happening twice each year; semiannual.
2.. Occurring every two years; biennial.

biannual
One entry found for biannual. Main Entry: bi·an·nu·al
Pronunciation: (")bI-'an-y&(-w&)l
Function: adjective
1 : occurring twice a year
2 : BIENNIAL 1
usage see BI-
- bi·an·nu·al·ly adverb

"Jose" wrote in message
. net...
Sorry, wrong answer. The dictionary definition of "biannual" allows for
both the "half" and "every two" interpretation.

Then you need a new dictionary. Unlike "flammable" and "inflammable", the
use of "biannual" for "every two years" is incorrect. Perhaps if enough
people persist in mangling the language, it will become accepted by the
general educated populace with that meaning, but until that happens, it
just ain't right.

Jose
(yes, I know of "ain't"'s long history)

Old March 16th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

bi·an·nu·al (bi-an'yu-?l)
adj.
1.. Happening twice each year; semiannual.
2.. Occurring every two years; biennial.

Barbarians at the door!

What are we going to do when we need words that actually =mean= things?

Jose
Old March 16th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jose" wrote in message
m...
bi·an·nu·al (bi-an'yu-?l)
adj.
1.. Happening twice each year; semiannual.
2.. Occurring every two years; biennial.

Barbarians at the door!

What are we going to do when we need words that actually =mean= things?

Jose

Jus maak sumptin-you know-up, like whuts wrong wit dat?

allen

Old March 16th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 20:43:18 GMT, Jose
wrote:

Barbarians at the door!

What are we going to do when we need words that actually =mean= things?

Steer with an even hand if you must go there. Down that course lie
the Scylla of the French Academy and Charybdis of the Ministry of
Truth.

Don (Who's not sure that metaphor doesn't need some more work.)

Old April 3rd 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:29:44 -0600, wrote:

Lets get to the bottom of this.
I constantly hear people refer to Airports as being class B,C or D
Airports. Any of you who have thorough knowledge and understanding of
Airports will know that there are only two kinds of Airports in all of
our National Airspace System (NAS). There is Towered and Non-Towered
Airports. We have Class A,B,C,D,E and G Airspace. The Airspace overlays
the Airports. Now show me where in the Aeronautical Information Manual
(AIM) or an FAA Approved government publication that mentions a class
B,C,D Airport. You will not find it...

Take the time and choose your words carefully.

I hope that along with teaching your students the importance of being
clear, you make some time to cover "the danger of the downwind turn".

Old April 3rd 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

ben wrote:

I hope that along with teaching your students the importance of being
clear, you make some time to cover "the danger of the downwind turn".

That joke would have probably been more humorous had you posted it when
this thread was still active, rather than wait the three weeks to think it
up.

--
Peter