American pilots charged in Amazon jetliner crash

Old December 9th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

Default American pilots charged in Amazon jetliner crash

"Dan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Blueskies wrote:

....They should go down there and fight. ...

And risk rotting in a Brazillian prison for 12 years away from their
familes should they lose? Not worth it...

I think that's what Brazil is counting on; if they don't return, they
(Brazil) can hold a sham trial in absentia and find them guilty of
everything, thus covering their own asses which are presently hanging out in
the wind.

http://joesharkeyat.blogspot.com/200...zarre-and.html
(Joe Sharkey was the journalist aboard the Legacy jet)

--
Matt
---------------------

Old December 9th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Dan" wrote in message oups.com...
:
: Blueskies wrote:
:
: ....They should go down there and fight. ...
:
: And risk rotting in a Brazillian prison for 12 years away from their
: familes should they lose? Not worth it...
:
: --Dan
:

That is your opinion...if they let this hang out there, it could snag them at any time, pretty much anywhere. This
should definitely be something that the state dept should be heavily involved in, but not a word from them as far as I
know.

Old December 9th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

What I want to know is, why aren't the press riding in airliners
overflying the area of interest and reporting on whether or not the
crews are able to communicate and be seen on radar? Instead, they are
only reporting what the controllers and the Brazilian functionaries are
telling them about conditions in the area.

Old December 9th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

It gets worse than that. The gun laws in the USA, the Brady
Instant Check, the Lautenberg amendments, the Form 4473 all
check and ask if you are a "fugitive from justice" and if
those pilots do not go back to Brazil and get cleared, they
will be criminals here if the presently own, possess or buy
any firearms.

some support

"Blueskies" wrote in message
t...

| wrote in message
oups.com...
| :
| : Guy Elden Jr wrote:
| : This story just gets more and more bizarre... based on
the evidence
| : I've seen reported so far, it certainly sounds to me
like the Brazilian
| : air traffic control system itself is solely to blame
for this accident.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html
| :
| : --
| : Guy
| :
| : Anyone that's been following the story is fairly clued
in to what's
| : going on. I can't imagine they'll return, and I think
our gov't will
| : have a big problem on their hands if they try to force
these guys back
| : down there - I highly doubt they will based on what I've
seen.
| :
|
| So they will always have this hanging over them. They
should go down there and fight. If Brazil wants to play in
the
| world market they need to acknowledge their short comings
and get them fixed. The ATC system down there is to blame
for
| this crash, and ATC is run by their military, so it will
be real interesting to see if they ever admit guilt...

Old December 9th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message

"Guy Elden Jr" wrote in message
ps.com...
This story just gets more and more bizarre... based on the evidence
I've seen reported so far, it certainly sounds to me like the Brazilian
air traffic control system itself is solely to blame for this accident.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

--
Guy

If these guys go back to Brazil they are idiots. It's pretty obvious they
are being scapegoated and there is no reason to believe they would receive
a fair trial. I have to wonder though if the folks in charge down there
really don't want or expect them to stand trial. Seeing how they have been
kept in county since September 29th and they let them leave AFTER they
formally charge them.

I was thinking the same thing.

Old December 9th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

And a felon in another county is still considered a felon in
the USA, say good bye to your civil rights.

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

oups.com...

Old December 9th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

Not sure what your source for that statement is. I lived there at one
time. The press can print what it wants. Of course, as in the USA, if
the government is feeding the information, it may have its own slant,
but nothing prevents the press from investigating and reporting.

Blueskies wrote:

From what I undersand there is very liitle freedom of the press in Brazil...

Old December 9th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

john smith writes:

What I want to know is, why aren't the press riding in airliners
overflying the area of interest and reporting on whether or not the
crews are able to communicate and be seen on radar?

They would not be able to determine that simply by riding on an
airliner.

Old December 9th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
601XL Builder

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Greg Farris wrote:
I don't know how things work in Brazil.
It could be similar to Europe, where a full investigation of the accident
cannot be completed without naming purported "perpetrators" and subjecting them
to a criminal investigation. The fact that the two pilots are named as
defendants does not preclude the naming of the air traffic controlers as well.

One possible weakness of such a method is that it puts a very strong emphasis
on the importance of human imperfections, while leaving little place for the
argument that a system design weakness may be equally to blame, if not more so.

I agree the US pilots would be crazy to EVER go back there - This would even
seem to be implicit in the fact that they were allowed to leave!!

Its not unheard of for U.S. Marshalls to arrest a U.S. citizen in the
U.S. to stand for a warrent in a foreign country....
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/09/14/dog.bounty/index.html
U.S. treaties allow for foreign countries to issue arrest warrents for
U.S. citizens in the U.S..

-Robert

Yes but a US court and the Secretary of State will decide in the bounty
hunter case if he is extradited. The same would happen in the case of
the pilots.