which VW engine coversion seems most reliable?

Old October 27th 10, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
rich[_2_]

Default which VW engine coversion seems most reliable?

Looking at the various conversions, such as Limbach, Hapi, Revmaster,
Great Plains, and I'm sure there are some others, I'm wondering if one
or the other has a reputation of being the best for reliablity?
The Rotax seems based on the VW, although the company denies that,
just looking at some of their models, the resemblence is too much not
to be somewhat a derivative of the VW. Looking around on the web, the
Revmaster seems to be the only one with a stand alone engine for sale,
Great Plains seems to sell the parts to make the conversion, and
Limbach and Hapi I can't find any parts for them for sale. If they are
even in business any longer.
Rich
Old October 27th 10, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 20:40:07 -0400, rich
wrote:

Looking at the various conversions, such as Limbach, Hapi, Revmaster,
Great Plains, and I'm sure there are some others, I'm wondering if one
or the other has a reputation of being the best for reliablity?
The Rotax seems based on the VW, although the company denies that,
just looking at some of their models, the resemblence is too much not
to be somewhat a derivative of the VW. Looking around on the web, the
Revmaster seems to be the only one with a stand alone engine for sale,
Great Plains seems to sell the parts to make the conversion, and
Limbach and Hapi I can't find any parts for them for sale. If they are
even in business any longer.
Rich

The Rotax is no more based on the VW than on the BMW twin or the
Lycoming/continental aircraft engines. Or for that matter, on the
Corvair.
Old October 27th 10, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
CaveLamb

rich wrote:
Looking at the various conversions, such as Limbach, Hapi, Revmaster,
Great Plains, and I'm sure there are some others, I'm wondering if one
or the other has a reputation of being the best for reliablity?
The Rotax seems based on the VW, although the company denies that,
just looking at some of their models, the resemblence is too much not
to be somewhat a derivative of the VW. Looking around on the web, the
Revmaster seems to be the only one with a stand alone engine for sale,
Great Plains seems to sell the parts to make the conversion, and
Limbach and Hapi I can't find any parts for them for sale. If they are
even in business any longer.
Rich

THe one rated at 40 horsepower or less...

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Old October 27th 10, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Dungrave

rich wrote:
Looking at the various conversions, such as Limbach, Hapi, Revmaster,
Great Plains, and I'm sure there are some others, I'm wondering if one
or the other has a reputation of being the best for reliablity?
The Rotax seems based on the VW, although the company denies that,
just looking at some of their models, the resemblence is too much not
to be somewhat a derivative of the VW. Looking around on the web, the
Revmaster seems to be the only one with a stand alone engine for sale,
Great Plains seems to sell the parts to make the conversion, and
Limbach and Hapi I can't find any parts for them for sale. If they are
even in business any longer.
Rich

Limbach is the one with highest reputation and the most expensive
next to them probably Sauer
http://www.sauer-flugmotorenbau.de/V...ourStroke.html
about 40 jrs in business, had my Revmaster for overhaul there

both companies are located in Germany. Both also sell certified VW-based
engines, mostly used in motorgliders

my 2c
-Loef (building a Sonex with Revmaster/Sauer up front)
Old October 27th 10, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
rich[_2_]

Well, there are so many different Rotax engines, it depends on which
one. 2 cycle, 4 cycle, etc.. But their flat 4, four cycle engine has
some very suspicious similarities to the VW. The cylinders look very
much alike, and the Rotax is the only other engine besides the VW that
has the exhaust exiting the front of the cylinder on the forward end
of the engine. All others have the exhaust exiting vertically, either
up or down. There seems to be some obvious Rotax designs that are
from the VW. No doubt improved, to get aircraft reliabliity. I looked
the thing over at Reno at their display, and it looked very VW. The
gearbox is of course their own design. In short, a geared VW engine
is all it is.

Old October 27th 10, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

Op 27/10/2010 15:13, rich schreef:
In short, a geared VW engine
is all it is.

Keen oberservers have reported traces of a liquid cooling circuit, too.
Old October 28th 10, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Atheist Chaplain[_2_]

"jan olieslagers" wrote in message
Op 27/10/2010 15:13, rich schreef:
In short, a geared VW engine
is all it is.

Keen oberservers have reported traces of a liquid cooling circuit, too.

yep, them liquid cooled heads are very VW in
appearance........................um no, VW don't rely on water cooling,
forget I spoke, ........but that cylinder design with all the fins, that
very reminiscent of VW, oh and of Triumph, Honda Yamaha and hell even Victa
motor mowers use it, after all flat four horizontally opposed engines were
invented by VW........... Oh that's right it was invented by Karl Benz in
1896................

--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]

Old October 28th 10, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
CaveLamb

Atheist Chaplain wrote:

"jan olieslagers" wrote in message
Op 27/10/2010 15:13, rich schreef:
In short, a geared VW engine
is all it is.

Keen oberservers have reported traces of a liquid cooling circuit, too.

yep, them liquid cooled heads are very VW in
appearance........................um no, VW don't rely on water cooling,
forget I spoke, ........but that cylinder design with all the fins, that
very reminiscent of VW, oh and of Triumph, Honda Yamaha and hell even
Victa motor mowers use it, after all flat four horizontally opposed
engines were invented by VW........... Oh that's right it was invented
by Karl Benz in 1896................

And a model T Ford and a Lamborgine both have four wheels.

Somebody needs glasses!