Ferry Permit?

Old March 7th 04, 05:48 AM
Mackfly

Default Ferry Permit?

Tried to get a ferry permit from the local FSDO so we could tow a Blanik that
was one week out of annual to another airport for it's inspection. They said
they could not issure it for safety reasons! I had done it once with my
1-23H15 a few years ago. The "reason" given was because of the risk placed on
the tow pilot. The addition of risk to another person. I asked the fellow if
they ever issued one to "crewed" aircraft to which he said "yes." I mentioned
that the tow plane and the sailplane could release from each other and asked if
a required "crew" member could do that. He said he had even called the next
level up, at KC. Not at all sure he made the call. All in all it smacks of
CYA when you are in over your head at your job. We used to have a guy come and
do/sign off the inspection in a cold dark hangar at the field. What we were
trying to do was get the glider to a lighted, heated hangar where it would get
a "better" inspection. Thanks to the FAA's wisdom we did the inspection in a
cold, dark hangar again. Anyone ever "ferry" a sailplane? Yes we have a
trailer. We are only willing to be laughed at by glass ship owners as we
hammer a Blanic together at Salida or Boulder. Any thoughts? Mac
Old March 7th 04, 06:25 AM
Shawn Curry

Mackfly wrote:

[...]

Hey we never laughed! Until this week, SSB had a Blanik too.

Cheers,
Shawn

P.S. Mac, did you see Stu's post about a tow plane in Salida? Will we
see you this summer?
Old March 7th 04, 06:55 AM
BTIZ

so Mack.. why did you let it get one week out of annual?

Blanik annuals are not tough.. but the wings should come apart.. and you
should get in the interior wing root and pull out the rollers there that the
flap and spoiler push rods ride on. If the rollers don't roll, you are
wearing down one side of the push rod.

You have to get someone in through that hatch behind the rear seat, that can
work with his arms over his head, and pull the rollers out, clean and
replace.

BT

Old March 7th 04, 02:47 PM
d b

No, I have not personal experience with that. But I do know of a 175 that was
air towed from one airport to another. All done with the FAA's blessing.

The paper work and testing is a great story. Took a long time. Mere mortals
don't have that kind of patience and drive.

Old March 7th 04, 06:26 PM
goneill

I believe that in NZ an aircraft is allowed to be flown to a place of
repair or maintenance even when when the paperwork has expired.
gary
.net...

Old March 7th 04, 07:01 PM
F.L. Whiteley

"Mackfly" wrote in message
[...]

If it was Denver FSDO, your answer is in your post.

Old March 9th 04, 12:19 AM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
F.L. Whiteley wrote:

"Mackfly" wrote in message
Tried to get a ferry permit from the local FSDO so we could tow a Blanik

that
was one week out of annual to another airport for it's inspection. They

said
they could not issure it for safety reasons! I had done it once with my
1-23H15 a few years ago. The "reason" given was because of the risk

placed on
the tow pilot. The addition of risk to another person. I asked the

Yep, I'd believe that. Just like the marginal, gradual
disappearance of a lot of things, I'm not surprised at this.

I for one am very grateful that we have a FSDO inspector who
is a glider CFI. I suspect we avoid a lot of silliness
behind the scenes because of this.
--

------------+
Mark Boyd
Old March 9th 04, 03:23 AM
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, Mackfly wrote:

Tried to get a ferry permit from the local FSDO...

Shoulda tried SFO.

Bob K.

Radiotelephone permit for Canada PaulH Owning 7 February 21st 04 01:00 PM
Ferry Tanks (Bay Area) SteveK Piloting 1 November 24th 03 03:23 AM
Permit me a moment, please, to say... Robert Perkins Piloting 14 October 31st 03 03:43 PM
Dash 80 Ferry Flight MLenoch Military Aviation 1 October 31st 03 12:55 AM
Ferry Pilot Needed Seattle to Dallas Flynn Owning 2 September 10th 03 02:31 PM