ClearVav vs. LXNav

Old February 24th 18, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ClearVav vs. LXNav

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 6:22:45 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Have you a URL for said site?

http://www.soaringdata.info/aviation/airportsTab.html
Old February 24th 18, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Unfortunately you still need to convert the TFR files to cub file to use them with LXNAV. You can use SeeYou desktop to do the conversion.

Ramy
Old February 24th 18, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I wish on the LXNav, one could switch from the high def maps to a sectional and back just by moving to another screen, and not having to go to map settings to do so. It is for this reason I fly with an iPad mini, just for the sectionals. I rarely use it as the maps on the LX are very good, but sometimes one just needs, or at lest feels like one needs, to reference a current sectional. Flying with the sectional loaded onto the map page with all the other data I have just too cluttered on the screen.

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 9:05:54 PM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 8:47:50 AM UTC-8, Mark Zivley wrote:
Something that would be fantastic for a CN2 would be the ability to toggle back and forth from the Clearnav software and ForeFlight...

A ClearNav runs on Windows CE and has a cursor pointing device. ForeFlight runs on iOS with a much high resolution display and capacitive touch screen. There is zero chances of them every being combined, even if somebody could work out what that even would be like.

Old February 24th 18, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

These things are pretty simple to make using a text editor and data from
the FAA.Â* Here's an example of a SUA file I used last year in my CNII.Â*
It's simply a text file with the extension changed to .sua after creation:

### Dog Head TFR, NM ###
INCLUDE=YES
TITLE=Dog Head TFR ABQ Approach 123.9
TYPE=DANGER
BASE=SFC
TOPS=12500
POINT=N345759 W1062705
POINT=N345759 W1060534
POINT=N344515 W1060430
POINT=N344515 W1062845
POINT=N345759 W1062705
#
### McClure Fire TFR Radius - 5 NM ###
INCLUDE=YES
TITLE=MCCLURE FIRE TFR.
TYPE=DANGER
BASE=SFC
TOPS=15000ALT
CIRCLE RADIUS=5.00 CENTRE=N354259 W1054746
#

Then load it to your device per the operating manual.Â* Note the same
format worked for XCSoar and will probably work for LK8000.

--
Dan, 5J

Old March 8th 18, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 10:11:39 AM UTC-5, Gerry Simpson wrote:
New glider on the way. Would like objective opinions from pilots who have flown with both ClearNav and LXNav and spent enough time to make an honest, educated evaluation. Let me preface this with the information that I have flown with ClearNav since being an early adopter. Both appear to have advantages. Are there enough with LXVav (9000, 9070, 9050) to warrant going through the learning curve for a new system?

Regarding the ClearNav, there are a few issues which have not been addressed. If you are dealing with smaller panels, more consideration and planning are required with the ClearNav.

The ClearNav unit is an asymmetrical "box"; it's left border is wider than the right border. If you chose through panel, behind panel, or tunnel mount (which is most popular) and you want the screen on panel center-line there will be less room for instruments on the left side of the panel than the right side.

Unfortunately, ClearNav website does not provide "footprint" dimensional drawings so you can't determine just how close you can locate other instruments. Other instrument placement also differs between through panel/behind panel and tunnel mount.The tunnel mount helps alleviate horizontal closeness but you need to have all the stuff in hand so you can measure components to eliminate interference. Surely Williams could correct this with little effort. Note to Rex - hunt and peck doesn't cut it.

With the ClearNav tunnel mount, mounting is a "stack" affair. There is a 2" tunnel, 1.25" computer, a back plate, then the Nexus box. It's a clunky affair with multiple sets of screws and spacers. The tabs on the back plate can also interfere with tangent instruments. When assembled, it takes up at least twice the cubic area than the LXNAX 9000.

Additional panel space is required for the ClearNav on/off switch as well as the CAN/USB extension. The LXNAV incorporates an on/off button in its button set.

On the other hand, mounting the LXNAV is a breeze. It's symmetrical, total size is 114 mm wide x 145 mm high x 38 mm deep exclusive connectors.

So you's pays your money and you's take your choice.

Old March 8th 18, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 8:11:39 AM UTC-7, Gerry Simpson wrote:
New glider on the way. Would like objective opinions from pilots who have flown with both ClearNav and LXNav and spent enough time to make an honest, educated evaluation. Let me preface this with the information that I have flown with ClearNav since being an early adopter. Both appear to have advantages. Are there enough with LXVav (9000, 9070, 9050) to warrant going through the learning curve for a new system?

Like many on RAS I just came from the convention in Reno. The reps where there from CL, LXNav, and LXNavigation. I sat in on a seminar presented by the LXNavigation rep and was truly impressed. The rep described the work that went into the UI and even touchscreen advances (Currently the Colibri is touchscreen and the Zeus is not). Their goal was to make a navigation system easy enough to be able to use without reading the manual. After seeing the screen shots at the presentation and looking at the instruments at the booth later, I would say they have succeeded.
I don't own any LXNavigation instruments and I am certainly not telling you what to buy but if you have not made the decision yet, take a look at the Zeus and some of the other stuff from these guys.
Best wishes with the new ship.
Old March 8th 18, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Ben, if you prefer the LX unit, why not simply say so?

My ClearNav is mounted to the side of the panel using Ram mounts,
leaving the rest of the panel for whatever you want.Â* No need for a
power switch, simply connect the power line to the avionics bus (with a
fuse, of course) and it powers on/off with the ship's master switch.Â* If
anyone wants measurements, you can probably get them from Rex, but,
since my ship is down right now, I have mine at home and can measure it
for you, but only to the 1/16".Â* If you use the CN stick grip with
installed buttons, you don't need the CAN/USB panel connector since all
the control buttons are run through the stick and there's a USB jack on
the back of the CN computer.

Old March 8th 18, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 5:33:27 AM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

With 7 buttons, two knobs, and a 114 page manual I'm not sure Zeus has broken any new man-machine interface barriers. Imagine if Google maps on your cell phone came with a 114 page manual.
Old March 8th 18, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

With 7 buttons, two knobs, and a 114 page manual I'm not sure Zeus has broken any new man-machine interface barriers. Imagine if Google maps on your cell phone came with a 114 page manual.

Fitchy, Keep in mind those buttons are labeled , unlike some other glide computers. I should have said GUI instead of UI. The LXNavigation stuff at the show had some of the best looking (And yes easiest to interpret) screens of anyone. And thats coming from an LXNav guy. Also, why do you assume instrument manufacturers would use dated technology in regards to touch screens. The stuff displayed at the show was cutting edge in both accuracy and brightness.
If Google Maps could do what my glide computer could I would expect a 114 page manual.FWIW my S100 manual is 105 pages and still leaves a bit uncovered. When you consider the capability and versatility of these things 114 pages is nothing. Even for people like me with short attention spans.

Old March 8th 18, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 10:27:12 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Ben, if you prefer the LX unit, why not simply say so?

Nope, wrong assumption.

I'm just pointing out the CN MFD requires extra planning and is more trouble to mount. ClearNav complicates the fit/no fit decision by not readily providing "should not have to request" dimensional data.

The ClearNav II is a fine navigational computer and is especially good when combined with the XC CNv digital display. I believe David Masson is responsible for it's current software and it is outstanding.