1-26 Inner Tube Mayhem

Old May 8th 12, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

Default 1-26 Inner Tube Mayhem

Our beloved 1-26 (the Karmann Ghia of sailplanes) keeps busting inner
tubes. Like every other flight! NOTE that there is nothing rough on
the inside of the tire or rim.

My thinking is that we have a mismatch between the tube and the tire.
The are in fact of different sizes. I should have written the sizes
down and should have reported it here. I will do that soonest.

So, riddle me this - If the tube is too large then it will become
pinched which is bad. Right? If too small, won't it just inflate to
the correct size/shape, within reason that is? We are using talcum
powder - is this good or bad? Or should the tire and tube be of
identical size?

Thanks for any suggestions.

- John
Old May 8th 12, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, May 8, 2012 2:28:39 PM UTC-4, JohnDeRosa wrote:
Thanks for any suggestions.

Much more gentle landings !
Old May 8th 12, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn

On 5/8/2012 2:28 PM, JohnDeRosa wrote:

Thanks for any suggestions.

Is there any reason why the tire might be spinning on the wheel when you
brake? That would tear up an inner tube about every other flight...

Vaughn
Old May 8th 12, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Not enough information to say for sure. A too-large tube might crease
inside the tire causing weak spots but it's hard to imagine you would
be using a tube so small it wouldn't inflate to fill the tire. Most
will inflate 2x without undue stress. However, using the right size
is important.

My guess is the tire is sliding around on the wheel. Since the tube
is anchored at the valve stem it will rip as the tire rotates on the
wheel. Could it be someone used liquid soap to help fit the tire to
the rim? Soap is a big no-no since it makes a great lubricant for
tire slip and tube failure when it gets wet.

Expensive tire-fitting goop designed to hold a tire in place is
available but in the motorcycle community, ordinary furniture polish
is held in high esteem when used for this purpose. The big-scooter
guys bet their butt on their tires every time they ride so they tend
to know these things.

Old May 8th 12, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nic

On May 8, 3:45*pm, Bill D wrote:
[...]

Find the hole in the tubes, this will tell where the puncture is
occurring. If the tire is sliding in relation to the rim, the hole
will be near the valve stem (this shouldn't be happening on a 1-26,
because the rubber brake pad bumper is in direct contact with the tire
when braking). If the hole is on the rim side (bottom of the tube),
the rim is the problem. If on the tire side (top of the tube), the
tire. You may have a piece of wire or glass embedded in the tire that
is puncturing the new tube. The tube size is not critical, but needs
to be close.

Ed
Old May 8th 12, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On May 8, 11:28*am, JohnDeRosa wrote:

Thanks for any suggestions.

- John

Under-inflation and firm landing could cause pinch flats. As others
have said you need to examine the puncture/damage area for clues as to
what is happening.

The tyre and tube should be the correct size for the wheel but who
knows what you could get away with if you only need one landing.

Andy

L-23 inner tube Bruce Soaring 1 September 3rd 08 06:21 PM
Pee tube system for ASW-27 KP Soaring 20 June 11th 05 05:00 PM
pitot tube down Emilio Military Aviation 16 March 6th 04 11:37 PM
Jews Extensive Murder Mayhem HissyFit'nPaminifarm Naval Aviation 0 February 11th 04 08:33 PM
Aluminum tube, 2.25" ID Rick Pellicciotti Home Built 0 October 2nd 03 08:24 PM