The end of the Annual Enema -or- The Fat Boy Flies Again

Old March 2nd 08, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

Default The end of the Annual Enema -or- The Fat Boy Flies Again

Well, Murphy finally decided to move on... The Kid decided to work on
Saturday - after saying he would not be there, which got the evil eye
from me...
We assembled, and wiped, and polished, and tightened, and loosened and
retightened... Finally after 4 hours it looked like an airplane
again...The engines were test run... And by the third run we had found
all the wires that had been jerked off , fuel valves that had been
unhooked, etc.
That was way more ground running than I normally do on a fresh engine,
but you play the hand you are dealt..

Fired up, taxied straight out, rolled onto the active and put the lash
to the old boy, straight up to 5500, balls to the wall... That got
the temps on the new cylinders, right up there... It was quite handy
that the outside temp was 14 degrees (F)... When straight and level
pulled the props back to 2600, left the throttles to the firewall,
leaned only until the engines ran smooth - then proceeded to fly great
circles about the aerodrome...

Rumor was that the ECI cylinders would seat the rings in a half hour,
said event to be announced by a sudden drop in CHT... At 18 minutes
of boring around in the yellow arc there was a drop in CHT of 8C my
CHT gauges read in *&^$%#! centigrade ... This drop occurred over
roughly two minutes of the gauge barely inching down... At 34 minutes
the gauge got nervous again, and at 36 minutes there was a definite
drop over roughly another two minutes... A solid 20C decrease in
total... the gauge nailed the new number and stayed there for another
half hour, so bored and thirsty, I decided to land... It took 15
minutes to go downhill with the engines still putting out power to
avoid pulling a vacuum above the rings on the new cylinders... It
burned a half quart of oil seating the rings...

Theoretically, we are good to go for another year...

Denny and Fat Albert the Apache...
Old March 2nd 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Theoretically, we are good to go for another year...

Funny how it all fades away as soon as the wheels leave the ground, no?

Glad you're back in the air -- and thanks for sharing the story.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old March 2nd 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Mar 2, 5:54*am, Denny wrote:
[...]

Glad to see you know exactly how to break in new cylinders. Working
them hard does the deed properly. I hate to see the guys who baby
their new motors thinking it will be better for seating in of all the
good stuff. There are times I feel like duct taping the throttles wide
open and force them to fly it. ;)) Congrats to you on breaking the
earthly bounds again.

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com
N801BH
Old March 2nd 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 13:50:22 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Theoretically, we are good to go for another year...

Funny how it all fades away as soon as the wheels leave the ground, no?

I'm still waiting.

My co-owner blew all the breakers during a jumpstart in January. He
needed the jumpstart because he flew to another airport to take his
BFR in an Arrow, and left the master, avionics, and strobe on for 5
hours.

We (he's paying, for not following the POH) need a 2x fuel / oil temp
cluster (three gauges).

6 weeks, no airplane... I'm probably going to rent one this week to
get my ya-ya's out!

I can't wait for my "no-fly" blues to fade... At this point, I'd
probably be happy with the view from 22A on Bertie's trips!
Old March 3rd 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote:
Theoretically, we are good to go for another year...

Funny how it all fades away as soon as the wheels leave the ground, no?

I'm still waiting.

My co-owner blew all the breakers during a jumpstart in January. *He
needed the jumpstart because he flew to another airport to take his
BFR in an Arrow, and left the master, avionics, and strobe on for 5
hours.

We (he's paying, for not following the POH) need a 2x fuel / oil temp
cluster (three gauges).

6 weeks, no airplane... *I'm probably going to rent one this week to
get my ya-ya's out!

I can't wait for my "no-fly" blues to fade... *At this point, I'd
probably be happy with the view from 22A on Bertie's trips!

Ok,, I will bite.

How does a pilot walk away from a plane he just flew and not notice
the strobes flashing???

Ben.
Old March 3rd 08, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

Check lists!

try em, you'll like em...

denny
Old March 3rd 08, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

Denny wrote:
Check lists!

try em, you'll like em...

denny

If you're replying to me, you're preaching to the choir.
Old March 3rd 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

If you're replying to me, you're preaching to the choir.

nyaa, not you personally...
The problem with the reflector any reply is addressed to the last
poster...

denny

Well, It flies! Doug Palmer Home Built 8 June 17th 07 04:58 PM
it flies and is huge. Jim Macklin Piloting 12 October 2nd 06 09:39 PM
Elizabeth flies again, almost Michelle P Owning 5 October 9th 05 11:34 PM
Eclipse flies again! Mike Murdock Owning 0 January 1st 05 12:38 AM
C-119 flies again Ron Military Aviation 9 December 22nd 03 08:44 AM