Passed IRF Retest

Old May 14th 04, 01:40 PM
Dave Butler

Bill Gamelson wrote:

liberal snippage throughout

I already have my IFR ticket. The knowledge is what I'm after. All I

The knowledge you need to fly is not the same as the knowledge you need to pass
the test. The King courses are geared to passing the test. You don't need to
pass the test.

really need is a refresher course, but I'd rather just go through the entire
home study course so I don't miss anything.

OK, but find a home study course that's not simply geared to answering the silly
knowledge test questions.

That is without question as the FAR/AIM is required to fly PIC. It's one of
the thing I gotta have anyway.

Knowledge of the FARs and AIM are required. There is no requirement whatsoever
that you posess a written copy.

Old May 14th 04, 10:19 PM
Bill Gamelson

There is no way you are not going to "miss anything". You can fly for
years
and keep learning... isn't that also "stuff you missed"

Agreed. One reason I need to buy the King instrument course is because of
the lack of quality of my ground school. I know there's a lot of things
that I missed, especially procedures on different "full approaches". Mainly
procedure turns. The proper way of doing things. I was rather dependant on
ATC vectoring me to the FAC. If they would say "Decend to 3000, cleared for
the approach" and I wasn't on an intercept heading, that's about the time I
would ask for one.

Old May 14th 04, 10:29 PM
Bill Gamelson

Knowledge of the FARs and AIM are required. There is no requirement
whatsoever
that you posess a written copy.

When did they change that? I was always told by my instructors that I had
to actually have a copy of the current FAR's in my possession. The AIM is
not required at all, but the catch to that is if I have an accident due to
something I overlooked that is discussed in the AIM, the NTSB can fault me
for that, but I was always told and I believe I actually read in the FAR's
that a current copy of the FAR's must be in the pilot's possession.

Of course I was also told that once you reach the DH, you cannot legally
descend below the DH unless you have at least the runway environment in
sight, but another pilot told me that is a grey area and the reason I was
told that is because the instructors want to keep me alive. He said "How
long does it take you to make a decision while you are on the glide slope?"
Yea, right. I took that with a grain of salt. If I reach the DH and I
can't see the lights, I'm going missed.

Old May 14th 04, 10:31 PM
Bill Gamelson

Holds have been required for proficiency as they are in the PTS. If you
can't fly what's in the PTS and what you could do when you got your
certificate, then you aren't proficient by definition.

Then you're talking about a comp check then and not the reqs for maintaining
IFR currency.

Old May 15th 04, 02:43 AM
Matt Whiting

Bill Gamelson wrote:
Holds have been required for proficiency as they are in the PTS. If you
can't fly what's in the PTS and what you could do when you got your
certificate, then you aren't proficient by definition.

Then you're talking about a comp check then and not the reqs for maintaining
IFR currency.

I was referring to the comment about proficiency, not currency. The two
are different concepts entirely.

Matt

Old May 16th 04, 08:14 AM
Jack Allison

Congrats John! ...but...what the heck is the "IRF Retest" :-)

I'm enrolled in an IFR ground school at my FBO, just stared two weeks back.
Planning on starting the flying portion in the fall.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old May 17th 04, 02:37 AM
Dave Lawlor

No hours requirement anymore, so just 66.

"Bill Gamelson" wrote in message
. com...
You don't know what 666 means in reference to IFR?

Yes-- I don't know. Please explain.

One you have your IFR ticket, you must get 6 hours of instrument time and

6
instrument approaches in 6 months to stay IFR current. Otherwise you will
need an Instrument Comp Check. Thus, 666 is an easy way to remember that.

Old May 17th 04, 11:26 AM
SFM

66 plus holds

Catch the wave!
www.hamwave.com

**"A long time ago being crazy meant something, nowadays everyone is
crazy" -- Charles Manson**
-------------------------------------

Old May 18th 04, 12:24 AM
Jon Kraus

I know I mistyped "IFR"... Good luck on your training....

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA

Old May 18th 04, 01:10 AM
Bob Moore

Jon Kraus wrote

I know I mistyped "IFR"... Good luck on your training....

And Jon...it really wasn't an IFR test, it was an Instrument
Practical Test. :-) I don't know why everyone uses IFR (Instrument
Flight Rules) to substitute for Instrument and in many cases
for IMC.

Bob Moore