Garmin 596 at OSH?

Old July 19th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

Default Garmin 596 at OSH?

"Nope. Absolutely not. Guaranteed. No new Garmin aviation portable at Oshkosh.
That ship will not sail."

From one of the Cessna Pilots Ass'n forums. Apparently, Garmin dealers have
been given the word.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old July 19th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

Now I'm SURE there will be a new one. g

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"Nope. Absolutely not. Guaranteed. No new Garmin aviation portable at
Oshkosh. That ship will not sail."

From one of the Cessna Pilots Ass'n forums. Apparently, Garmin dealers
have been given the word.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old July 19th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kobra[_3_]

I was at S'nF and asked this question. The Garmin rep said, "Nope! No new
596 in '07. "

He left it at that.

Here's my wish list for the 596:

Touch Screen
IAP's
Airways
MEA's
MAP's
Holding tracks
RAIM prediction
Satellite overlay screen (for night engine out safety)

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"Nope. Absolutely not. Guaranteed. No new Garmin aviation portable at
Oshkosh. That ship will not sail."

From one of the Cessna Pilots Ass'n forums. Apparently, Garmin dealers
have been given the word.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old July 19th 07, 11:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug Vetter

Kobra wrote:
I was at S'nF and asked this question. The Garmin rep said, "Nope! No new
596 in '07. "

He left it at that.

Here's my wish list for the 596:

Touch Screen
IAP's
Airways
MEA's
MAP's
Holding tracks
RAIM prediction
Satellite overlay screen (for night engine out safety)

Have to admit my 396 gives me everything (and more) than I need so I
don't see myself ever *NEEDING* to upgrade. But this is coming from
someone who used to fly a C150 with nothing more than a single loc-only
nav comm (no flip-flop) and a transponder under legal IFR. "Equipment
appropriate to the ground facilities used" indeed. Single VOR
intersection holding patterns. Ahhhh...good times.

It will take a list like the one you've mentioned to get me to upgrade.
I suppose the most important to me is airways, as I tire of entering
the entire route on both the 430 and the 396 separately. Airways would
definitely speed up data entry.

The one thing I'm confident Garmin will NOT provide on the portables is
full approaches with holding patterns, etc. They fear the liability
that would result from idiots using the thing to shoot approaches as
primary reference. Stupid, I know...but that's their legal counsel
talking. I seem to recall one moron in a Baron did this a few years ago
(with a 296) and became mountain pizza in the process, so as much as I
disagree with their opinion, their concern is not unjustified.

Not sure what you mean by Satellite overlay screen, but the one feature
I'd definitely like to see with regard to engine out operations is
implementation of the same "cone of safety" feature the Chelton screens
have -- where the terrain data is combined with air data and the area
within your glide path is outlined. Of course the x96's won't have
access to air data for real-time winds aloft calculations, but they
could estimate it based on XM wind data.

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------
Old July 19th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 18, 9:10 pm, "Kobra" wrote:
I was at S'nF and asked this question. The Garmin rep said, "Nope! No new
596 in '07. "

He left it at that.

Here's my wish list for the 596:

Touch Screen
IAP's
Airways
MEA's
MAP's

That would be nice but considering that the G1000 and 430 don't have
these I'm not sure if they would be first released in a handheld.

-Robert

Old July 19th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Jul 18, 9:10 pm, "Kobra" wrote:
I was at S'nF and asked this question. The Garmin rep said, "Nope!
No new 596 in '07. "

He left it at that.

Here's my wish list for the 596:

Touch Screen
IAP's
Airways
MEA's
MAP's

That would be nice but considering that the G1000 and 430 don't have
these I'm not sure if they would be first released in a handheld.

-Robert

Not a reason at all. To add those features to the G1000 and the 430 you have
to get them certified. To add them to a 596 you just have to tell the
software folks to do it.

There are lots of features on the 496 and even the 396 that aren't on the
430 and G1000.

Old July 20th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 19, 1:20 pm, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Jul 18, 9:10 pm, "Kobra" wrote:
I was at S'nF and asked this question. The Garmin rep said, "Nope!
No new 596 in '07. "

He left it at that.

Here's my wish list for the 596:

Touch Screen
IAP's
Airways
MEA's
MAP's

That would be nice but considering that the G1000 and 430 don't have
these I'm not sure if they would be first released in a handheld.

-Robert

Not a reason at all. To add those features to the G1000 and the 430 you have
to get them certified. To add them to a 596 you just have to tell the
software folks to do it.

There are lots of features on the 496 and even the 396 that aren't on the
430 and G1000.- Hide quoted text -

For generic features I would agree with you, but the features listed
were mostly IFR specific features. I'm not sure that the market for
things like IAPs are very good for handhelds, vs. the 430 where pilots
would pay big bucks to put their approach charts in the back seat and
fly from digital charts.

-robert

Old July 20th 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kobra

Not sure what you mean by Satellite overlay screen, but ...

IOW, you could overlay a real satellite image of the terrain around you.
That way at night with an engine out you could bring up the display of the
satellite image below and around you and see that the black area out the
window is a farmer's field and not a bed of granite or unforgiving trees.

I'd definitely like to see with regard to engine out operations is
implementation of the same "cone of safety" feature the Chelton screens

If you mean it shows a cone of the ship's best glide range, then YES I will
add that also to my wish list!!

Kobra

Old July 20th 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Robert M. Gary wrote:

For generic features I would agree with you, but the features listed
were mostly IFR specific features. I'm not sure that the market for
things like IAPs are very good for handhelds, vs. the 430 where pilots
would pay big bucks to put their approach charts in the back seat and
fly from digital charts.

-robert

You don't think people are out there using 3/496s for IFR situational
awareness now? I know of several pilots that have them and either no other
GPS in the aircraft. They have Nav/Coms, ADFs and DME. But the -96 is there
and they refer to it for SA.

Old July 20th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Kobra wrote:
Not sure what you mean by Satellite overlay screen, but ...

IOW, you could overlay a real satellite image of the terrain around
you. That way at night with an engine out you could bring up the
display of the satellite image below and around you and see that the
black area out the window is a farmer's field and not a bed of
granite or unforgiving trees.
I'd definitely like to see with regard to engine out operations is
implementation of the same "cone of safety" feature the Chelton
screens

If you mean it shows a cone of the ship's best glide range, then YES
I will add that also to my wish list!!

Kobra

You do know that some of the satellite images available are fairly old?
There is one thing about big empty fields. They get stuff built in them from
time to time.

XM Wx Garmin 430/430W with Garmin GDL-69? [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 4 March 5th 07 03:52 AM
Garmin 396 vs 496 mbremer216 Owning 12 October 2nd 06 06:32 PM
This is why Garmin 296's street price has been dropping -> Garmin 396 [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 7 July 11th 05 06:39 PM
Garmin 480 Hankal Piloting 5 February 6th 05 01:00 AM
FA: Garmin 195 JerryK Aviation Marketplace 1 September 8th 03 09:41 PM