Who has bought a new Garmin 396?

Old August 8th 05, 03:31 PM
Paul kgyy

Default Who has bought a new Garmin 396?

I hear Garmin sold 3000 of these at Osh.

I've had the AnywhereMap system for a year now and find the system has
been prone to losing the XM weather.

I'd like to hear from 396 users how reliable the weather link has been,
particular from people that don't fly regularly.

Old August 8th 05, 04:33 PM
Dan Luke

"Paul kgyy" wrote:

I'd like to hear from 396 users how reliable the weather link has been,
particular from people that don't fly regularly.

XM receivers will lose the service authorization if not used regularly. It
times out.

As to losing satellite lock, I have not had this happen in nearly two years
of using a WxWorx receiver and antenna connected to a notebook pc. I have
ordered a 396 but don't have it yet.

The Garmin 396 uses a "smart" antenna, i.e. a combination receiver/antenna.
As are you, I am anxious to see how well this will work. I plan to velcro it
on the glare shield where my Xm antenna is now.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old August 8th 05, 07:10 PM
john smith

Dan Luke wrote:
XM receivers will lose the service authorization if not used regularly. It
times out.

I stopped by the XM booth at AirVenture and inquired about this.
The rep explained that it was their problem and that it has been fixed
and should not continue to happen.
Old August 8th 05, 07:28 PM
Newps

john smith wrote:

Dan Luke wrote:

XM receivers will lose the service authorization if not used
regularly. It times out.

I stopped by the XM booth at AirVenture and inquired about this.
The rep explained that it was their problem and that it has been fixed
and should not continue to happen.

Must have been the wx receivers that do this. I have four XM radio
receivers and they've never done this.

Old August 8th 05, 08:06 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Newps" wrote in message

john smith wrote:

Dan Luke wrote:

XM receivers will lose the service authorization if not used regularly.
It times out.

I stopped by the XM booth at AirVenture and inquired about this.
The rep explained that it was their problem and that it has been fixed
and should not continue to happen.

Must have been the wx receivers that do this. I have four XM radio
receivers and they've never done this.

Where are those 4 receivers. If they are factory auto mounted they will
always get signal if the antenna can see the satellite. Same goes for the
boom box if it is connected to AC power.

Old August 9th 05, 03:54 PM
Newps

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Where are those 4 receivers.

One in each car, which are parked in the garage when not in use. A
third goes between the bedroom and the plane. The fourth is up at work
in the tower for all of us to enjoy. That radio probably plays about 20
hours per day every day and has for the last year plus.

Old August 11th 05, 12:56 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

Rate mode on-----

I don't think they've fixed anything. Mine still goes offline if I don't
turn it on every few weeks. On a flight this past weekend, I had no
service. Rats. Call 1-800-BlondToTheRoots and they refresh. Now I have a
'Radio' on the return flight. Yes, I mean "basic' not 'Aviator'. Call
Huntsville. Will you people please call 1-800 people and tell them about
this great feature that is broadcast over their system called XM Weather.
Refresh my 'radio' for the Aviator I've paid for during last 3 years and
never seem to get on a reliable basis?

These people need some real competition so they can stop being like Garmin.
Rate mode off {|;-(

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

Old August 11th 05, 03:31 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Victor J. Osborne, Jr." wrote in message
Rate mode on-----

I don't think they've fixed anything. Mine still goes offline if I don't
turn it on every few weeks. On a flight this past weekend, I had no
service. Rats. Call 1-800-BlondToTheRoots and they refresh. Now I have
a 'Radio' on the return flight. Yes, I mean "basic' not 'Aviator'. Call
Huntsville. Will you people please call 1-800 people and tell them about
this great feature that is broadcast over their system called XM Weather.
Refresh my 'radio' for the Aviator I've paid for during last 3 years and
never seem to get on a reliable basis?

These people need some real competition so they can stop being like
Garmin.
Rate mode off {|;-(

I'm curious Victor. Is your plane in a hanger on a tie-down?

Old August 8th 05, 07:41 PM
Paul kgyy

Well, it just happened to me 2 days ago :-(

Old August 8th 05, 09:27 PM
Dan Luke

"Paul kgyy" wrote:

Well, it just happened to me 2 days ago :-(

Aw, nuts! I was about to reply "Yay!" to John Smith's post.

How long had your receiver been off?

They *really* need to fix this.

--
Dan