OSH '05 Comments

Old August 1st 05, 03:34 PM
Andrew Sarangan

This has also been a problem for me. It seems most people have a phobia about
walking. Even a 10 minute walk seemed too far for many people. Every time I
ask someone how far some place is, they would insist it is too far to walk,
and would give me directions on how to take a bus or trolley etc.. An
example is the EAA museum bus. It is faster to walk there than take the bus,
espeically during the rush hour. I discovered this after waiting for 30
minutes for the bus. Same thing with the trolleys. It is faster to walk than
to wait for the trolleys.
Old August 1st 05, 04:05 PM
Dave Butler

Jay Honeck wrote:

walking the immense distances OSH requires -- were given carte blanche to go
anywhere and everywhere with impunity.

I didn't think Blanche was using a carte (ducking)...

Dave
Old August 1st 05, 04:13 PM
Matt Barrow

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
Jay Honeck wrote:

walking the immense distances OSH requires -- were given carte blanche

to go
anywhere and everywhere with impunity.

I didn't think Blanche was using a carte (ducking)...

Hey, why don't you just scoot outta here! :~)

Old August 1st 05, 04:33 PM
RST Engineering

"PPT33R" wrote in message
oups.com...

Another great OSH. The number and quality of the exhibits seems to
improve each year.

Speaking as a former exhibitor who cannot afford the rent to be an exhibitor
any more, did you notice how many of the exhibits were government agencies
pimping their state, or their college, or their missile defense services?
Did you notice how many of the exhibits had absolutely nothing to do with
aviation, yet could afford the rent to hawk you everything from superglue to
wood stoves? How many truly innovative newcomers did you find -- that
little jewel company that invented a new widget to save you tons of money
building or flying an aircraft? The last one I know of is Bill Bainbridge
at his little electric shop, and he's been around for thirty years.

As to the number of people, I do a pretty fair job of assessing attendance
by looking at the parking lots, both on the airport and at the UWO dorms.
If EAA comes out with a "record crowd" pronouncement (which they have to do
by Rogan's Law -- "grow or die") then somebody is puffing funny weed.

The one thing that really ****ed me off this year (and I will proceed
to rant about) was the invasion of the 'obese scooter people'.

So long as EAA can make a buck at it, there will be an order of magnitude
growth in OSPs for the next couple of years.

Now, I've read this whole thread about who should and who should not be
allowed a scooter, and all I can say at this time is that I thought ham
radio had the market cornered with people sitting around ****ing and moaning
about their gall bladder operations, their hip replacements, and their
various and sundry ailments. I guess a few of them have escaped to the
world of aviation {;-)

More ... MUCH more ... later. It is good to be home.

Jim

Old August 1st 05, 06:01 PM
john smith

Andrew, you haven't told us about your travels via the big bird???
Old August 1st 05, 11:03 PM
Andrew Sarangan

What can I say.. I got to experience the thrill and adventure of taking
the airline to OSH. Drove during Friday rush hour to make it to the
Cincinnati airport. Flew to Appleton. On the way back, the flight got
cancelled. They bussed everyone to Green Bay with a $7 dinner voucher.
Still made it home on time. Can't really complain because it was a
nonstop service and the fare was only $200.

Noteworthy is a great guy named Scott Wilson (another rec.aviation
pilot). We never met before, but he was kind enough to offer me a ride
to and from Appleton. It was nice to know that there are still people
like him out there.

My opinion about taking the airline to OSH.. it is definitely not in the
true sprit of going to OSH. What kind of fly-in would that be if
everyone took the airline? However, if you are going just by yourself
for only a couple of days (like me), then its hard to beat the airline.

This is my third trip there, and all of them have been 2-3 day trips
(it's not by choice; its either that or I don't go at all). My opinion
is that if you have a lot of energy, you can see almost everything in
that time. But there is no time for leisurely breakfasts or late dinners
around the camp fire. I was up at 5am and hit the grounds at 7am. I had
enough time to visit and chat with the vendors in all four exhibit
hangars, aircraft displays, showplanes, federal/NASA pavillions,
flymarket, attend a workshop or two, and attend a few forums. But I
skipped the majority of the airshow. I even had time to go to the
Pioneer field and take a helicopter ride. The ultralights area was great
too. It was hectic. But on the other hand, I like it this way because I
usually get edgy if I have to sit around too much.

My only complaint is the food. I wish they had a healthy alternative.
With all the talk about FAA medicals, blood pressure, diabetes etc.. I
found it ironic that everyone was lining up for icecream, burgers, fries
and coke.

john smith wrote in news:aAsHe.42820$B52.18911
@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

Andrew, you haven't told us about your travels via the big bird???

Old August 1st 05, 11:07 PM
Darrel Toepfer

RST Engineering wrote:

It is good to be home.

And the election results were? When you get time...
Old August 1st 05, 11:17 PM
RST Engineering

The EAA Board selected two other individuals for the Board, but they really
came with excellent credentials. I do NOT believe that the "old boy"
network was at work in this year's elections.

Jim

Old August 2nd 05, 12:55 AM
Andy Asberry

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 15:17:18 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

The EAA Board selected two other individuals for the Board, but they really
came with excellent credentials. I do NOT believe that the "old boy"
network was at work in this year's elections.

Jim

I'm relieved to hear you say that. After nearly 30 years of continuous
membership, I let mine lapse in May, vowing not to renew unless the
situation changed. I called the office and told them as much. I
suppose it would be smug to think I made a difference.

Old August 2nd 05, 01:19 AM
David J. Zera

\later. It is good to be home.

Jim,

boy I can understand that "good to be home" I was there working for about 12
hours a days on the flight line "boy do I have a tan!" I had a great time
working, boy the first weekend was HOT!

Ps. by the way I have a Honda scooter and a Gator that I use! ( oh boy !!! I
am ducking ) but I do take it VERY slow in ped areas and try to keep it to
the taxiways!

Pss. you can see my volunteer group in the photo gallery under the
24th-25th. we are the group that had the Latin statement in it! we had to
hide all the single malt before the EAA photo tog would take the picture....
I was told that they want the world to believe that their is not booze in
camp ground... ha ha!

David J. Zera
Co-Chairman
Safety / Flight line