New fuel for GA?

Old May 8th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

Default New fuel for GA?

On May 9, 2:47*am, "Mike Noel" wrote:
On AvWeb:

New GA Fuel Promises Better Range, Lower Cost

"Not only can our fuel seamlessly replace the aviation industry's standard
petroleum fuel [100LL], it can outperform it," says John Rusek, a professor
at Purdue University and co-founder of Swift Enterprises. The company
recently unveiled a new general aviation fuel that it says will be less
expensive, more fuel-efficient and environmentally friendlier than any on
the market. Unlike other alternative fuels, Rusek said, SwiftFuel is made of
synthetic hydrocarbons that are derived from biomass, and it can provide an
effective range greater than 100LL, while costing about half as much to
produce. "Our fuel should not be confused with first-generation biofuels
like E-85 [85 percent ethanol], which don't compete well right now with
petroleum," Rusek said. Patented technology can produce the 1.8 million
gallons per day of fuel used by GA in the U.S. by using just 5 percent of
the existing biofuel plant infrastructure, the company said.

The synthetic fuel is 15 to 20 percent more fuel-efficient, has no sulfur
emissions, requires no stabilizers, has a 30-degree lower freezing point
than 100LL, introduces no new carbon emissions, and is lead-free, Rusek
said. In addition, he said, the components of the fuel can be formulated
into a replacement for jet/turbine fuels. The company now is working with
the FAA to evaluate the fuel.

The lower freezing point may imply a higher vapor pressure.

Cheers
Old May 9th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On May 8, 7:47*am, "Mike Noel" wrote:
On AvWeb:

New GA Fuel Promises Better Range, Lower Cost

"Not only can our fuel seamlessly replace the aviation industry's standard
petroleum fuel [100LL], it can outperform it," says John Rusek, a professor
at Purdue University and co-founder of Swift Enterprises.

I've heard of this fuel. I believe its called Ferry Dust.

-Robert
Old May 9th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Noel

I'm guessing they are measuring fuel efficiency as MPG, so a denser fuel has
better numbers just like the denser diesel fuel has a built in MPG gallon
advantage because it is heavier than relatively light gasoline.
--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Mike Noel wrote:

The synthetic fuel is 15 to 20 percent more fuel-efficient

Pardon ? How exactly is one hydrocarbon fuel "more efficient" than another
?
Engines that are optimised to run on 100LL are AFAIK unlikely to run any
'better' on anything else unless 're-tuned' and I'd imagine that has
associated
certification issues. Sounds like marketing twaddle to me !

Do you have a link to this article ?

Graham

Old May 9th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Mike Noel" wrote in
:

I'm guessing they are measuring fuel efficiency as MPG, so a denser
fuel has better numbers just like the denser diesel fuel has a built
in MPG gallon advantage because it is heavier than relatively light
gasoline.

Well, they do mention volume..

Bertie
Old May 9th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Eeyore[_2_]

Mike Noel wrote:

I'm guessing they are measuring fuel efficiency as MPG, so a denser fuel has
better numbers just like the denser diesel fuel has a built in MPG gallon
advantage because it is heavier than relatively light gasoline.

I can see that might be their idea but the possible practical fuels for ICEs are
fairly limited in scope, at least excluding those that don't give poorer
performance (bhp) like ethanol for example.

Butanol which can indeed be made from bio-sources is closest to gasoline in
overall performance but I'm not aware of any supposed 'efficiency' advantage.

Would be interested in hearing more of substance rather than marketing copy.

Graham

Old May 9th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Eeyore wrote in
:

Mike Noel wrote:

I'm guessing they are measuring fuel efficiency as MPG, so a denser
fuel has better numbers just like the denser diesel fuel has a built
in MPG gallon advantage because it is heavier than relatively light
gasoline.

I can see that might be their idea but the possible practical fuels
for ICEs are fairly limited in scope, at least excluding those that
don't give poorer performance (bhp) like ethanol for example.

Butanol which can indeed be made from bio-sources is closest to
gasoline in overall performance but I'm not aware of any supposed
'efficiency' advantage.

Would be interested in hearing more of substance rather than marketing
copy.

Why you running Avgas in your Austin Alegro now?

Bertie

Old May 9th 08, 10:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Eeyore[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Eeyore wrote
Mike Noel wrote:

I'm guessing they are measuring fuel efficiency as MPG, so a denser
fuel has better numbers just like the denser diesel fuel has a built
in MPG gallon advantage because it is heavier than relatively light
gasoline.

I can see that might be their idea but the possible practical fuels
for ICEs are fairly limited in scope, at least excluding those that
don't give poorer performance (bhp) like ethanol for example.

Butanol which can indeed be made from bio-sources is closest to
gasoline in overall performance but I'm not aware of any supposed
'efficiency' advantage.

Would be interested in hearing more of substance rather than marketing
copy.

Why you running Avgas in your Austin Alegro now?

Jealous, Bertie ?
http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm?ado67storyf.htm

It's the Quartic steering wheel that really kills me.

Graham

Old May 9th 08, 11:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On May 9, 12:47*am, "Mike Noel" wrote:
[...]

for those interested , here is a link to the Swift patent. It sounds
pretty complicated with 5 different components. One of the components
used to lower the vapour pressure is ethyl acetate, a solvent used in
nail polish , varnish etc.
This fuel is going to have quite an interesting odour. The
percentage of the various components can apparently be varied to
adjust octane rating for both aviation and auto use.

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?...2&DISPLAY=DESC

Terry
PPL Downunder
Old May 9th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Al G[_1_]

"terry" wrote in message
On May 9, 12:47 am, "Mike Noel" wrote:
On AvWeb:

New GA Fuel Promises Better Range, Lower Cost

"Not only can our fuel seamlessly replace the aviation industry's standard
petroleum fuel [100LL],

Getting such a fuel FAA certified, may not be "seamless". Can you
imagine how many aircraft/components/configurations you would have to test?

Al G

Old May 9th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Eeyore wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Eeyore wrote
Mike Noel wrote:

[...]

Oh yeah, I really really want to live my life in the open sewer that is
Britain. color me jealous.

Bertie