Airgizmo and Garmin 496 Install Saga

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 12th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon

Default Airgizmo and Garmin 496 Install Saga

Apparently, installation of the Airgizmo panel dock is quite the touchy
subject up here in the Northeast. I know this has been a subject of a
number of threads but I figured I'd relay my experience so far. Since I
would like it integrated with my Garmin 430 and 340 audio panel (for
the audio out), I'd really rather have a pro do it.

First I contacted the local FSDO located on my home field (KFRG) and
talked to the avionics guy to solicit his point of view. His view was
that it was a VFR install and as such, it only needed a logbook
entry--no 337. However, he stressed that all the FSDO's are different
on this subject and I would need to contact the installer to get their
FSDO's take. He recommended getting a 337 anyway just in case. Fair
enough, makes sense to me.

After contacting the local shops, I quickly realize that none of the
Conn. shops will touch it and neither will the shops in Westshester or
New Jersey. All their FSDO's are dead set against the install. Well,
there goes the convenience of being local. An independent guy will do
the install in Rhode Island but I am hesitant because he has not done
any of these installs and at $70/hr, I don't feel like paying for his
schooling. Islip Avionics in Long Island was just rude ("so, where's
your paperwork on the thing? You got an STC? You talked to my FSDO?
Tell me the name of the guy. I don't need his phone number I just want
to see if you know the guy's name") and besides, they were $115/hr vs.
$70 everywhere else. That was the closest I've been in a while to
telling someone I don't know to f**k off.

That leaves Pennsylvania as the closest. I have a quote from Penn
Avionics and I'm trying to get a day to go there. They've done a number
of these already and know exactly what I want and their prices are not
bad. Their FSDO is OK with it as a logbook entry but they can do the
field approval for some extra $$. They also brought up a good point in
that if I get a 337 to cover me "just in case," I'll need another 337
to take it out if I sell the plane and want to keep the 496.

If anyone in the northeast area has had better success, I'd be
interested in a PIREP.

Jay, If you're reading, you had it easy with Atlas!

Marco